Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

bkac

Caught the Bug
Wow, no kidding? Back when I first started having this problem, I tried the RC stablizer and found it to not do a thing. I later installed an OE stabilizer and found it to work great. But, that was over a year ago and maybe things have changed. Either way, glad to hear it worked out for you.

What’s weird is if I put the AE Mopar stabilizer and put it in the freezer when I pull on it, it has really weird almost like air pockets in it. The RC stabilizer is way tighter and smoother. But I’m still thinking this is just a mask and there’s a greater issue going on. I’ll replace the pump next and see.

Kuboske

Wow. This thread has convinced me to never consider buying a JL. I wonder what engineer at Jeep, decided it would be wise to put a thinwall frame, under a JEEP!?
They always have to tamper with something that is working fine, with a proven record...
Unbelievable!

Kuboske.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Wow. This thread has convinced me to never consider buying a JL. I wonder what engineer at Jeep, decided it would be wise to put a thinwall frame, under a JEEP!?
They always have to tamper with something that is working fine, with a proven record...
Unbelievable!

Kuboske.

It’s a high strength thin steel. Lol man I’m with you. I wish they would have left the extra weight on the frame, FAD, steering knuckles, and a no ESS option. I do like the weight of the doors though. They can keep that going. Hahaha. If I only had a say. [emoji848]

JKbrick

It’s a high strength thin steel. Lol man I’m with you. I wish they would have left the extra weight on the frame, FAD, steering knuckles, and a no ESS option. I do like the weight of the doors though. They can keep that going. Hahaha. If I only had a say. [emoji848]

Is the frame different in shape from a jk or just the material it is made of?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JDDK

Following now. My JLU has 20k miles and the steering recently has new hints of wobble over bumps. no death wobble yet, but now I'm worried. My local Socal temps are rarely below 40F, so I cant blame cold. Miles are mostly freeway and no wheelin[emoji26] It has a Mopar 2 w fox, 35 ko2s and has been tight and a very excellent ride so far. Yesterday, oilchange at dealer popped the damper recall, so that will be getting replaced soon. Hoping you guys that are having issues will keep posting updates on all progress and failed attempts. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Just throwing this out there, at about 19:00 in the most recent wayalife video, Dave at synergy talks about some people having steering box or frame flexing.

Noble Woodsman

Just throwing this out there, at about 19:00 in the most recent wayalife video, Dave at synergy talks about some people having steering box or frame flexing.

You beat me to it. I also thought of this thread when i saw that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JDDK

interesting. One would think that Jeep would want to address the ongoing number 1 issue and design weakness of past models with the JL-JT, instead of make it weaker. Jeep really, really needs to suscribe to WOL for their own profit and liability. Improvement requires desire, humility and teachableness. But instead of hearing from real users, engineers already know whats best. How obvious is it to do some market reseach with the tons of guys that make a living all around improving their weakeness on their product. duh.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Doesn't Synergy, JKS or Clayton make a brace that runs from the track bar mount to the opposite frame rail?.... essentially eliminating frame flex by tying the two together. I thought I saw that at Jeep Beach a couple years back. I bet one could fab their own as well.

Kuboske

I'm betting Jeep is aware of this problem, surely through dealer feedback and irate customers. This is insane. They should work up a remedy and recall everything. Then, beg forgiveness!
People pay $45000, plus for a new Jeep. Shouldn't be losing sleep over something like this!

Kuboske.

Kuboske

On a somewhat related side-note to this thread. I've been shopping, casually, for a Ram 3500, dually. Having difficulty finding a used one, (hard to find with low miles) I started just looking at new ones. Even Ram trucks are proclaiming a new, thinner, lighter frame under these Heavy Duty, commercial rated trucks.
With all I've read here, I think I will wait and see if they start breaking or having any other problems.

I don't know why they always try to fix what ain't broke...

Kuboske.

jdofmemi

On a somewhat related side-note to this thread. I've been shopping, casually, for a Ram 3500, dually. Having difficulty finding a used one, (hard to find with low miles) I started just looking at new ones. Even Ram trucks are proclaiming a new, thinner, lighter frame under these Heavy Duty, commercial rated trucks.
With all I've read here, I think I will wait and see if they start breaking or having any other problems.

I don't know why they always try to fix what ain't broke...

Kuboske.

They are "fixing" as a result of the government mandated fuel economy rules.
Everything has to get lighter to make it, but with all of the added parts to comply with the safety rules, the reduction has to come from somewhere, or more like a little from everywhere.

Kuboske

They are "fixing" as a result of the government mandated fuel economy rules.
Everything has to get lighter to make it, but with all of the added parts to comply with the safety rules, the reduction has to come from somewhere, or more like a little from everywhere.

Leave it to the Government... I would rather they go with aluminum body panels like Ford did, than lighten up a 3500's frame.
Guess I'll keep looking for that elusive creampuff, low mileage, used camper puller.

Kuboske.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Its very worth noting that the steering gear box is on its 5th redesign.... I have a very early build and developed a 1" deadspot in my steering. I called Jeep wave and I danced the dance with the dealer. I paid $80 for a front end alignment that fixed nothing and then Jeep Wave told them to swap my steering box. When I got home I looked up the part number from my paperwork and saw this.
ScreenShot 2019-11-18 at 1.47.15 PM.jpg

Now, I'm not running 35s or anything huge, just 33s, but that box was like magic to me and she's still driving pretty damn straight. I think its worth looking at who's got what part numbers. Oh, the one they replaced was the AB version.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Its very worth noting that the steering gear box is on its 5th redesign.... I have a very early build and developed a 1" deadspot in my steering. I called Jeep wave and I danced the dance with the dealer. I paid $80 for a front end alignment that fixed nothing and then Jeep Wave told them to swap my steering box. When I got home I looked up the part number from my paperwork and saw this.

Now, I'm not running 35s or anything huge, just 33s, but that box was like magic to me and she's still driving pretty damn straight. I think its worth looking at who's got what part numbers. Oh, the one they replaced was the AB version.

Any lift on yours?

Kuboske

Wow... 5th steering box redesign on a vehicle introduced in late 2017. I think I would shake up the engineering staff.

Jk Jeep Geek

Another death wobble question

So my wife has an 18 JL we bough new a couple months ago. Everything was great for about a month then the death wobble started. The Jeep is mechanically stock. Only things we’ve done is side steps, headlights, and a few other aesthetic add ons. The Jeep is a base model 4 door with the basic steel wheels and skinny Michelin’s. We are making an appointment with the dealership tomorrow to see about getting it fixed. My question is if it comes down to it and after several attempts they are not able to fix it does the death wobble fall under the lemon law?

WJCO

Meme King
So my wife has an 18 JL we bough new a couple months ago. Everything was great for about a month then the death wobble started. The Jeep is mechanically stock. Only things we’ve done is side steps, headlights, and a few other aesthetic add ons. The Jeep is a base model 4 door with the basic steel wheels and skinny Michelin’s. We are making an appointment with the dealership tomorrow to see about getting it fixed. My question is if it comes down to it and after several attempts they are not able to fix it does the death wobble fall under the lemon law?

Merged here. You're not alone. With that being said, in your glove box should be a brochure in regards to your rights as a consumer. And obviously if you're still not sure, consult an automotive attorney.

Jk Jeep Geek

Merged here. You're not alone. With that being said, in your glove box should be a brochure in regards to your rights as a consumer. And obviously if you're still not sure, consult an automotive attorney.

I know I’m by far not alone. It’s just everything I’ve seen so far on here is people with lifted or running bigger tires trying to mod the jeeps themselves to fix it. Only 4K miles on ours and have not seen anything about dealers solving the problem or anyone getting them to take it back under the Lemmon law.

Top Bottom