Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

Ddays

Hooked
Mel has stock steering on his rig with ud60s with the wobble if I’m not mistaken.

I was thinking his flag JL. Is that the black one now? I've lost track.

I'm also losing track of what everyone has tried to do in order to get rid of the DW. Almost need a new thread and a checklist of things tried vs what's possibly left to keep track of.
So in your case you're down to the steering box, right?

WJCO

Meme King
Well I pulled the fuse and no luck making it better without power steering. Check out this link.

Yep. That's death wobble. Fucking sucks. Sounds like it's still a mechanical issue like it's been on the past model Jeeps. Hope they fix this shit soon for all of you.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I was thinking his flag JL. Is that the black one now? I've lost track.

I'm also losing track of what everyone has tried to do in order to get rid of the DW. Almost need a new thread and a checklist of things tried vs what's possibly left to keep track of.
So in your case you're down to the steering box, right?

I have replaced everything but the pump In the last 2 weeks including the gear box. The pump is the last thing I have to try.

WJCO

Meme King
Wonder if any of you could mount a GoPro underneath specifically pointed at front end and brackets to see if something is flexing? Any of you guys check where the steering box mounts to the frame to see if there's anything weird looking there?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Isn’t PSC running a new box on his... He was on the JLX.

Everyone with a PSC box, both hydro assist and just big bore didn’t have the issue on the JLX

I’m down to doing a draglink flip, steering brace, new pump, or just going full PSC. Or lastly returning it to stock and trading it in.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Not that I know or heard of or at least, not as of yet.

I think “yet” is key. My Jeep was solid for almost a year and sad to say but all highway miles when it started. Well a few trips in the snow. I’m truly wondering how this is going to unfold over time.

WiscoHR

The 2020 JL/JT have the newest steering stabilizer which seems to mask the issue very well. I’ve had one on mine for the last 5k miles without issue. And I had spent the prior 12k miles extremely frustrated with the shake.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Any of you guys check where the steering box mounts to the frame to see if there's anything weird looking there?

While searching for unusual movement, loose/worn components and over the summer, I noticed that the aluminum steering box appears to either flex on itself and/or on the frame. I checked the steering box bolts and they were properly torqued.

While checking out a friend's JT at the local dealership, I climbed under a brand new stock JTR (not my friend's) and a stock JLUR while a salesman turned to the wheels side to side. I saw the exact same flexing, so I figured it was just normal. However, in light of this thread I thought that I'd brave the 7° weather and go shoot some video.

In both videos the tires are on the ground (hence the squeaking in the first video) therefore there is some movement of the frame. However, I would assume that the steering box should move in concert with the frame.

Steering box. The arrow indicates the portion that was filmed from below.
20191030_155336-768x1024.jpg

This is the view from underneath, with an arrow to indicate the same part of the steering box that you will see in the videos.
20191030_160502 (2)-1024x576.jpg

EDIT: the videos came out weird in this post, so here are two links direct to the videos.

https://youtu.be/I4Fis5Mk1jg

https://youtu.be/4F16xoGckEw

Last edited:
Top Bottom