Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

Kuboske

Lemon laws vary by state. Here in Indiana, you must report the defect to the manufacturer dealer before the vehicle reaches 18000 miles. You must then give the dealer 4 attempts at repairing the problem. Once reported, the vehicle can go beyond 18000 miles, and still be covered. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. If you prevail, in establishing your vehicle is a "lemon", the dealer must either buy it back, or give you a similar/non deficient vehicle.
I've heard many dealers get VERY difficult to deal with after about the third attempt and try to blame the consumer for abusing or mis-using their vehicle.
In most cases, a lawyer is necessary. In Indiana, if you win, the dealer/manufacturer, is required to pay legal fees.

Also, you don't have to be the first owner. The vehicle still must be less than 18000 miles, when first reported.

Kuboske.

Jk Jeep Geek

Lemon laws vary by state. Here in Indiana, you must report the defect to the manufacturer dealer before the vehicle reaches 18000 miles. You must then give the dealer 4 attempts at repairing the problem. Once reported, the vehicle can go beyond 18000 miles, and still be covered. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. If you prevail, in establishing your vehicle is a "lemon", the dealer must either buy it back, or give you a similar/non deficient vehicle.
I've heard many dealers get VERY difficult to deal with after about the third attempt and try to blame the consumer for abusing or mis-using their vehicle.
In most cases, a lawyer is necessary. In Indiana, if you win, the dealer/manufacturer, is required to pay legal fees.

Also, you don't have to be the first owner. The vehicle still must be less than 18000 miles, when first reported.

Kuboske.

Thank you! This is great info! I live in Maryland so I’ll check our specific laws. Hopefully it does not come to a legal battle. My hope is that since this has been an ongoing issue that dealerships should have a fix figured out by now 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

Wow... 5th steering box redesign on a vehicle introduced in late 2017. I think I would shake up the engineering staff.

Yeah. Clearly they know there’s an issue. It’s not like this steering box is used on non-wranglers too.

Any lift on yours?

2” AEV spacer lift with Fox 2.0s & the control arms from the mopar lift. My tires are .75” wider than stock & 25lbs heavier than stock. I didn’t want to add too much stress and start having to chase a lot of these issues down.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Been meaning to post a follow up to this for a while now and say that I've been able to get our death wobble back under control. Turns out we had a bad track bar bushing at the frame mount. Talked to EVO about it and I guess there was an early batch of track bars that had the bushings pressed in with too much force and that caused the issue. Anyway, gonna use the opportunity to test out the all new Synergy track bar with their dual durometer bushings.

WJCO

Meme King
Been meaning to post a follow up to this for a while now and say that I've been able to get our death wobble back under control. Turns out we had a bad track bar bushing at the frame mount. Talked to EVO about it and I guess there was an early batch of track bars that had the bushings pressed in with too much force and that caused the issue. Anyway, gonna use the opportunity to test out the all new Synergy track bar with their dual durometer bushings.

Glad you found it. Hope it works out to be a permanent solution.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, keep us posted!

You bet. :yup:

Glad you found it. Hope it works out to be a permanent solution.

Me too. Just like always, the most common cause of DW is a loose or worn out track bar bushing. You could really see big movement on ours. Replacing the track bar with a known good one fixed our DW immediately. Looking forward to seeing how the Synergy one does.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully it as simple as that! Glad you guys have a direction

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Almost always is. Drove our JL down to SEMA and back and have been driving it around town in cold temps and with zero death wobble.

longarmwj

Just needed an excuse to get some new Synergy goodies huh? 🤪

Looking forward to the review of their track bar, but being synergy you already know it’s going to be good

trailraider

FCA put out a notice yesterday. there is a purge sequence the techs have to do now to bleed the air out of the steering dampers as follows

"Ensure the damper is in the correct orientation. With the vehicle on the ground, it is required to turn the steering wheel for five consecutive lock-to-lock turns at one rotation per second to prime the steering damper and to purge any trapped air.

WJCO

Meme King
FCA put out a notice yesterday. there is a purge sequence the techs have to do now to bleed the air out of the steering dampers as follows

"Ensure the damper is in the correct orientation. With the vehicle on the ground, it is required to turn the steering wheel for five consecutive lock-to-lock turns at one rotation per second to prime the steering damper and to purge any trapped air.

I'm not buying it..................Sounds like they're buying time to keep people off their backs.

BaddestCross

That doesn't even make sense. Isn't the steering stabilizer a shock on the JL like normal? With the ram assist, sure, but a regular stabilizer?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

trailraider

You shouldn’t even need a stabilizer if everything is tight and new... you only need it when things loosen up due to normal wear... which buys you some time until things are freshened up.

works no different then the suspension shocks, just absorbs the "shocks" and smooths out the movement. As stated above , I think as well it is a "we'll do this and hope it works" until we can actually fix the issue. All it's going to do is pay the tech to maybe do it properly.

Jk Jeep Geek

Thank you! This is great info! I live in Maryland so I’ll check our specific laws. Hopefully it does not come to a legal battle. My hope is that since this has been an ongoing issue that dealerships should have a fix figured out by now 🤞

Our 18 JLU was dropped off today for the death wobble fix 1st attempt. Said hey fixed the air pocket in the steering damper. It did not work. Wife got the death wobble on her way home. They clearly didn’t even test drive it

jdofmemi

So, it seems FCA is stalling, since they can't figure out how to fix it without breaking the bank. I believe there are enough smart people there to figure this out, but between the bean counters and the lawyers, it seems the problem gets more lip service than actual solutions.

From the evidence that's been posted, the frame flexes, the track bar mount flexes, the steering box itself flexes🤯, the track bar bushings suck.

Now, by bleading the air in a steering stabilizer it is all magically going to be better🤣🤣🤣

It would be really interesting to get inside the head of someone who knows how the decisions were made to lighten up/weaken key pieces that seem to be causing this.

trailraider

here is my take on anything with FCA right now.

they are denying warranty claims left, right and center, reasons being the tech description isn't good enough, terms not used correctly or improper labour ops you name it. It never used to be this way. If FCA is dumping a shit tonne of capital out for repairs, the books won't look as good for the upcoming merger. so if they aren't paying out for warranty claims they look better on paper.

and the dealer takes it up the ass because these denials don't show up until 2-3 weeks later. ECO diesels are being denied almost every time. And FCA knows the constant issues plaguing them .

JJ151

Kuboske.

I’ve had two JK’s repurchased and settlement the day of arbitration under the lemon law here in Oregon on my current JK. In all instances I dealt directly with Fiat-Chrysler not the individual dealer. Yes you will have to allow a dealer (varies by state) x number of attempts to fix the issue. I recommend that you not wait but to seek repairs as quickly as possible before the factory warranty expires and preferably before the vehicle reaches the mileage warranty. You will need to contact Chrysler Customer Care and get a case established with a case manager. They will contact the dealers you’ve attempted to work with on the repairs to obtain service records. I allowed 8-9 attempts before pushing really hard. If you want a buy back don’t threaten with legal action as you will get farther on your own. That said, Fiat-Chrysler has consolidated their legal departments and now work out of NY. As a result they are less willing to do buy backs. Hence why I ultimately had to file a case through a local attorney that specializes in lemon law cases. Good luck and be persistent as legitimate cases will be resolved.

Top Bottom