Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

jesse3638

Hooked
I went with the 590. I think it will do the job 99% of the time for what the fam eats. The construction is solid and the Bluetooth app interface is pretty awesome.
Nice! That's the one I want! Fingers are crossed mine breaks. lol
Was looking at RT over Traeger. A coworker mentioned Camp Chef. He has one and likes it better than Traeger do to the temp and smoke controls. In looking at them I feel they are overkill for me and will do the job. Plus I can get a decent discount on them. I was looking at the Woodwind WiFi 36 but its been out of stock. I looked at the Smokepro SGX 36 WiFi and it does the same things. Only difference is the Woodwind comes with a color screen and 2 additional probes, plus the SGX is in stock. Probably order one soon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Midnsped

Just got an early Christmas gift from my parents, a RECTEQ RT-B380 Bullseye. First cook was some wings for college football Saturday. IMG_0244.jpg

Gonna reverse sear a tri-tip this evening. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Midnsped

Tri tip came out great. Pulled it off at 125 and then cranked the Bullseye to RIOT mode. I saw 740 degrees when I put it back on to sear it.
IMG_0246.jpg
Family was happy with the results.
IMG_0249.jpg

littlebeas

How'd it turn out??

Really well, went super simple on it. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. On the grill for about 15 minutes flared to about 700 degrees once the fat started rendering then in the smoker at about 300. Will probably go with a bigger one next year to get some more rare cuts out [emoji16]

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I finally pulled the trigger on the smoker last week. It was supposed to show up tomorrow but it actually showed up Friday. I took a break from the floor to put if together. Its doing a burn off right now. Going to try it tonight an see how it goes. 20210117_155134.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Rad!
And smoking deal on the pellets too. [emoji106]
Yeah I thought it was $19.99 for the bag. When she rang it up it was $5.99. Figured it was pretty good.

Also just pulled the chicken off and it came out really good. Turned the heat up a bit to finish it quicker. This thing is going to be a staple.

Edit: To follow up on this im pretty sure it was a system error with that price. I went back yesterday and grabbed a couple more bags. They are clearly priced at $19.99 for the 33lb bag. I think somehow they were listed as pellet stove fuel which were $5.99 a bag. Still, $19.99 a 33lb bag is pretty good from what I've seen.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
First attempt at smoking some baby back ribs. We'll see how they turn out in 6 hours. View attachment 358017

3-2-1 method? I've done them that way before & was really pleased with how they turned out. Wrapped them with honey & brown sugar at 3 hours, then pulled them out for the last hour & served them with sauce on the side. Most people didn't even use the sauce the rub had plenty of flavor.

65004C64-9BFD-411D-84D3-4DC1C2172B3F.jpg

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
3-2-1 method? I've done them that way before & was really pleased with how they turned out. Wrapped them with honey & brown sugar at 3 hours, then pulled them out for the last hour & served them with sauce on the side. Most people didn't even use the sauce the rub had plenty of flavor.

View attachment 358019
Yes sir. My captain is from the south and my chief has family from the south. They swear by that method. I just lightly basted them with BBQ sauce at the 3 hour mark. I did mix honey in with my yellow mustard I used as the rub binder.

jesse3638

Hooked
Forgot to post the after pics. They were pretty good. May look into other methods to play with. Made some gluten free cornbread too. Lisa made potato salad but I dodnt get a pic. 20210119_175850.jpg 20210119_174946.jpg

desertrunner

We got ourselves a Traeger on a black friday deal and finally got the chance to try it out. Did a pork butt and wings so far. I'll have to parooze this thread for some good ideas. The wings were amazing Screenshot_20210121-210840_Messages.jpg 20210116_182200.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
We got ourselves a Traeger on a black friday deal and finally got the chance to try it out. Did a pork butt and wings so far. I'll have to parooze this thread for some good ideas. The wings were amazing View attachment 358071 View attachment 358072

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Looks good. Howd you wait so long to use it...haha? As soon as I put it together its bee used everyday..haha. my only delay was my flooring project I had going on.

Top Bottom