Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

desertrunner

Looks good. Howd you wait so long to use it...haha? As soon as I put it together its bee used everyday..haha. my only delay was my flooring project I had going on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Ha well the house we bought was a new construction that kept getting delayed so we had it for almost 3 months before finally moving in and getting to assemble it. I fully plan to use the crap out of it here in ND not a whole lot else to do haha. Other than burgers and the occasional steak I never was a big griller or smoker so it should be a fun new thing to get into

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Ha well the house we bought was a new construction that kept getting delayed so we had it for almost 3 months before finally moving in and getting to assemble it. I fully plan to use the crap out of it here in ND not a whole lot else to do haha. Other than burgers and the occasional steak I never was a big griller or smoker so it should be a fun new thing to get into

Ahhh makes total sense. Congrats on the new place. I'm new to smokers too. Between this thread and my coworkers I've got some good mentors.

JAGS

Hooked

Ahhh makes total sense. Congrats on the new place. I'm new to smokers too. Between this thread and my coworkers I've got some good mentors.

This thread got me to spend $900. Well the wife as the reqteq was a gift.

The flavors have been amazing. I’ve done pork loin, ribs, chicken thighs, turkey, tri tip, burgers, baked beans (hard to do, use a bowl, lol). Need to get some butcher paper as really want to some salmon/fish the way Dan did.

Got the sear grates for Xmas, so need to look into cooking with those more. My poor Weber isn’t getting much love. Ha ha.

FFPulley77

Hooked

The flavors have been amazing. I’ve done pork loin, ribs, chicken thighs, turkey, tri tip, burgers, baked beans (hard to do, use a bowl, lol). Need to get some butcher paper as really want to some salmon/fish the way Dan did.

Got the sear grates for Xmas, so need to look into cooking with those more. My poor Weber isn’t getting much love. Ha ha.

That made me laugh to myself... I thought I could probably spend the $900 on the grill and the wife wouldn’t kill me... But then I looked at the list of food you’ve been cooking. That’s where all the money is spent! She’d kick me out after seeing the grocery bill! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jesse3638

Hooked

Yeah mine was a gift too. Lisa said I want to get you a smoker for Christmas but not sure what to get so get what you want. Reqteq was my go to but in talking to my co-workers and comparing them I went with the Campchef. Also the 40% off prodeal I got was a motivating factor. So far its been great. I'm planning on doing a pork butt starting late tonight for tomorrow afternoon.

jesse3638

Hooked
Alright a quick questions for those experienced with smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork. I have a 15lb boneless pork shoulder I plan on using for pulled pork. My plan for seasoning is yellow mustard and a mix of brown sugar and butt rub. I've read to plan on 2 hours per lb at 225 without wrapping. Thats 30 hours. Is it better to go without wrapping at 145 or wrap to speed up the stall? Another option would be to cut it in half and freeze the unused portion. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Disregard the weight. It was already split. Still should I wrap it or not.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
Alright a quick questions for those experienced with smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork. I have a 15lb boneless pork shoulder I plan on using for pulled pork. My plan for seasoning is yellow mustard and a mix of brown sugar and butt rub. I've read to plan on 2 hours per lb at 225 without wrapping. Thats 30 hours. Is it better to go without wrapping at 145 or wrap to speed up the stall? Another option would be to cut it in half and freeze the unused portion. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cut in half... I also usually trim all of the fat on the outside and some from between the muscles, some of my friends disagree with this. IMHO pork is fatty/greasy enough without the fat cap on it. Wrap with some apple juice at 160 degrees, by that point your meat has absorbed all of the smoke it can and the wrap will seal in some moisture. leave wrapped after its done cooking to relax.

ETA: pay close attention when it starts to come out of the stall, it will get to final temp rapidly. Have a small ice chest and crappy towels on standby to keep your meat in if it finishes cooking way earlier than expected. It can stay in the ice chest until ready to pull and serve.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
butt rub.

Always.

My plan for seasoning is yellow mustard and a mix of brown sugar

The mustard is more to keep the rub sticking. I always use the mustard myself.

I've read to plan on 2 hours per lb at 225 without wrapping. Thats 30 hours. Is it better to go without wrapping at 145 or wrap to speed up the stall? Another option would be to cut it in half and freeze the unused portion. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Disregard the weight. It was already split. Still should I wrap it or not.

I always wrap it after 6 hours to keep it moist. You aren't going to get much smoke flavor after 4-5 hours anyways. I would smoke both butts at one time next to each other. But your smoke time won't be based on a 15 pound butt, it will be based on 7.5 pounds ( 2 separated pieces). I always put an aluminum foil drip pan underneath to save the drppings. Wrap both butts at 6 hours cook time. At 225ish, it will probably be a 10-12 hour total cook time. I would check them around 8 hours to see where they're at. I usually remove them from the heat at 205 internal temperature.

Then pull the pork, add the drippings. What you plan on freezing, let that meat cool, and THEN freeze what you don't plan on eating right away. That way you have ready-to-go pulled pork at another time. That's what I do anyways.

DSC09137.JPG

Here's why I save the drippings....so fucking good.

KIMG0585 (1).jpg

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Cut in half... I also usually trim all of the fat on the outside and some from between the muscles, some of my friends disagree with this. IMHO pork is fatty/greasy enough without the fat cap on it. Wrap with some apple juice at 160 degrees, by that point your meat has absorbed all of the smoke it can and the wrap will seal in some moisture. leave wrapped after its done cooking to relax.

ETA: pay close attention when it starts to come out of the stall, it will get to final temp rapidly. Have a small ice chest and crappy towels on standby to keep your meat in if it finishes cooking way earlier than expected. It can stay in the ice chest until ready to pull and serve.
Always.

The mustard is more to keep the rub sticking. I always use the mustard myself.

I always wrap it after 6 hours to keep it moist. You aren't going to get much smoke flavor after 4-5 hours anyways. I would smoke both butts at one time next to each other. But your smoke time won't be based on a 15 pound butt, it will be based on 7.5 pounds ( 2 separated pieces). I always put an aluminum foil drip pan underneath to save the drppings. Wrap both butts at 6 hours cook time. At 225ish, it will probably be a 10-12 hour total cook time. I would check them around 8 hours to see where they're at. I usually remove them from the heat at 205 internal temperature.

Then pull the pork, add the drippings. What you plan on freezing, let that meat cool, and THEN freeze what you don't plan on eating right away. That way you have ready-to-go pulled pork at another time. That's what I do anyways.

View attachment 358082

Here's why I save the drippings....so fucking good.

View attachment 358083
Thanks for the tips guys. I actually took the smaller half and just put it in the freezer. I figured I can play with other ideas on that one. My initial idea was to do it all ad freeze it portions to use later. Ill probably do that after I settle on a method and recipe I like.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks for the tips guys. I actually took the smaller half and just put it in the freezer. I figured I can play with other ideas on that one. My initial idea was to do it all ad freeze it portions to use later. Ill probably do that after I settle on a method and recipe I like.

Well here is the finished product as I took it off the smoker. 14.5 hours no wrap. Had a really good bark and didn't dry out. After letting it rest in a pan for an hour before pulling there wasn't many drippings. It shredded with ease using 2 forks. I then chopped up what bark wasn't eaten while pulling and mixed it back in. Overall I was happy with how it came out. I put it on at 1am and went to bed...haha. checked it via wifi at 6am and it was at 160. Without wrapping it finished up, 205, at 3:30pm. Next one I'll wrap. I was also thinking that after pulling it I could put it back in the smoker on low temp and high smoke to get more smoke flavor. Would that work or make it overwhelming and dry? This is going to be a fun new hobby. 20210123_154351.jpg

Looks great Jessie. Best tip I received was dial in one thing at a time. Never change more than one thing per cook. Keep the variables small.

Bear_JT

Hooked
IMG_8050.jpg

Just did up some vodka brined smoked wild salmon on my Traeger. I’m still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor it’s so damn good!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
View attachment 358167

Just did up some vodka brined smoked wild salmon on my Traeger. I’m still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor it’s so damn good!

I saw that recipe pop on on my Traeger app. Looked good.

I’m about to pull some 3.2.1 ribs off my Traeger. Such a good and easy standby.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’ve posted these before but figured it was long enough ago to bring it back.

Buffalo Turds for game day

Mix one package cream cheese with:
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

jalapeños halved and filled with above mixture

Wrap in bacon and top with a lil smokie
Sprinkle on favorite BBQ rub

Smoke at 250° for an hour and a half or until done.

IMG_8627.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’ve posted these before but figured it was long enough ago to bring it back.

Buffalo Turds for game day

Mix one package cream cheese with:
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

jalapeños halved and filled with above mixture

Wrap in bacon and top with a lil smokie
Sprinkle on favorite BBQ rub

Smoke at 250° for an hour and a half or until done.

View attachment 358175

View attachment 358176

Welcome back. You move or you still down in this shithole?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
I saw that recipe pop on on my Traeger app. Looked good.

I’m about to pull some 3.2.1 ribs off my Traeger. Such a good and easy standby.

I saw it on mine also and had to try try it. All I can say is give it a try for sure.

Ah ribs, they are my favorite.

Top Bottom