Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

kevman65

Hooked
Ribs are in the Oven.. Tri-Tip is on the Lil’ Weber... I’m drinking a Guinness, contemplating how to convert the Pellet Grill into a Charcoal Smoker.... and online looking at a new Rec Tec Grills. No problems... just Solutions. [emoji51]

If you do get a RecTeq, turn your hopper speed down to 3.5. Factory default is like 6.1 and is way too fast, causes wild temp swings.

Just double smoked a pre-smoked ham on mine.

Little experiment with a tri tip. Came out great. I’ probably won’t cook a trip tip any other way from now on. Anyhoo. Sacrilegious I know. Especially on the central coast of California. Tri tip cooked like a brisket is worth a shot.

IMG_8511.jpg .
IMG_8515.jpg .
IMG_8516.jpg .

TrailHunter

Hooked
Shit man.

That’s a bummer. Did the pellets turn to mush also? They make a mess once a little moisture gets to them.

It was more like hardened particle board around the auger and the motor is fried.... but It all worked out great! 9 happy customers highly approved... In the end Heat is heat.. the oven & small weber got it done.. It was missing the smoke flavor but still awesome. The Ribs were the big Hit and everything cooked in about 3hrs..

I’m curious on how you did your tri-tip.. gonna have to try that.

It was more like hardened particle board around the auger and the motor is fried.... but It all worked out great! 9 happy customers highly approved... In the end Heat is heat.. the oven & small weber got it done.. It was missing the smoke flavor but still awesome. The Ribs were the big Hit and everything cooked in about 3hrs..
/QUOTE]

[emoji106][emoji106]

JAGS

Hooked
Cooking at 250

IMG_1862.jpg

Added some chicken and corn. Did the ribs at 3-1-1. They were best I’ve made yet. Final plate.

IMG_1863.jpg

desertrunner

Did some "beer can" chickens on the traeger last night. Didn't actually use beer but did water and went a heavy citrus route with lemon and orange slices in the water plus initial rub was zest from the lemon and orange followed by the traeger veggie rub. 90 mins in the smoker and they turned out fantastic! 20210410_174622.jpg

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Did some "beer can" chickens on the traeger last night. Didn't actually use beer but did water and went a heavy citrus route with lemon and orange slices in the water plus initial rub was zest from the lemon and orange followed by the traeger veggie rub. 90 mins in the smoker and they turned out fantastic!

Chicken looks great! Iv never done beer can chicken before definitely need to try it out.

desertrunner

Chicken looks great! Iv never done beer can chicken before definitely need to try it out.
From everything I have read the beer doesn't matter. For the most part it just helps it cook better by having it sitting upright. But that's the first one I have done so not entirely sure. Overall super easy prep and only 90 mins in the smoker really easy.

Top Bottom