Show Off Your Guns!

mtudb24

My son and I do WWII re-enacting . Here are a couple of our weapons. My favorite by far is the BAR.

We also do long range shooting / hunting. Went on our 1st prairie dog hunt this past summer in South Dakota. 3 dads and our son's who just graduated HS and wanted this trip for their Senior trip. Longest confirmed kill was 550yds with my Seekins Precision 224 Valkyrie. Amazing rifle. Such a great shooting cartridge too. Flat, deadly, and no recoil. Other guns we took were a Aero Precision 223 wylde, Savage 17 WSM, and 223 Ruger 77 VT bolt gun, Savage chassis 110 in 223, and others.

Attachments

• BAR power.png
    BAR power.png
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 25
  • BAR and web gear.jpg
    BAR and web gear.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 22
  • US infantry impression.jpg
    US infantry impression.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Banzai Charge 2.jpg
    Banzai Charge 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 24

TrailHunter

Hooked
My son and I do WWII re-enacting . Here are a couple of our weapons. My favorite by far is the BAR.

We also do long range shooting / hunting. Went on our 1st prairie dog hunt this past summer in South Dakota. 3 dads and our son's who just graduated HS and wanted this trip for their Senior trip. Longest confirmed kill was 550yds with my Seekins Precision 224 Valkyrie. Amazing rifle. Such a great shooting cartridge too. Flat, deadly, and no recoil. Other guns we took were a Aero Precision 223 wylde, Savage 17 WSM, and 223 Ruger 77 VT bolt gun, Savage chassis 110 in 223, and others.
How far do you reach out with the .223 wylde?

mtudb24

How far do you reach out with the .223 wylde?
We had built the wylde up about 2 weeks before we went on our trip, so we didn't have a lot of time to dial it in. With the Vortex Strike Eagle 5x25x56 MRAD scope, it was consistently 1/2 MOA at 100 yds and using factory ammo (Varmageddon 60gr bullets) any dog under 400yds was pretty much a 1 or 2 shot kill. I would imagine more time with the gun and hand loads, on a PD size target, you could push that out quite a bit farther.

That's where the 224 really shines as you can shoot 75, 88, and 90 grain bullets vs the 60 of the wylde and not get thrown off by wind.

The MRAD reticle's are awesome. We had made up some dope cards after we chrono'd all our various rounds using Hornady's website and hold over with MRAD's is as simple as simple can be.

All of our AR's had additional M-lok weights to hold recoil down so you can see the dirt fly on your misses and allowed for quick and easy adjustment for windage etc. I think we had 2.5 lbs on the wylde and 4lbs of weight on the 224 Valkyrie.

AZVAJKU

Hooked

That is awesome! Prairie Dog hunting is some of the best precision shooting fun you will have. Being able to hit a target of that size at 400-500 yards is a display of solid marksmanship and the sign of an accurate rifle.

In addition you are removing a pest that breaks the legs of livestock and destroys pasture land. Shooting verses poisoning is way better for the food chain. Good times!!

mtudb24

That is awesome! Prairie Dog hunting is some of the best precision shooting fun you will have. Being able to hit a target of that size at 400-500 yards is a display of solid marksmanship and the sign of an accurate rifle.

In addition you are removing a pest that breaks the legs of livestock and destroys pasture land. Shooting verses poisoning is way better for the food chain. Good times!!
Thanks. Yeah, it was fun. Definitely helping the cattle and land destroying critters. Also found out that the PD's will drag the dead ones into the holes and night and drink their blood for moisture as draught and lack of water is paramount on the plains. Also got to see a couple Golden Eagles descend on the field picking away at the dead dogs we had shot. Nice to see the evolution of life.

The guns are so much more accurate then myself as a shooter. I don't consider myself as a true marksman yet, but its all about the time you get to be 1 with your rifle and know your limitation's. My son and I still have a lot to learn but it was pure joy hitting them at that range and watching them do the 360 degree back flip in the air. Scope video cams will also be on our Xmas list for our next outing.

We learned a lot for sure. 1 of the Dad's and his son had cans on their rifles. That will be a must for our next trip as well. After a few rounds with non-slienced guns, the shorter ones out to 150-200 yds disappeared quite quickly. You had to take a break and wait 20 mins or so for them to come back out.
This was a 3 shot group out of the 224 at 200yds on a PD target. I really enjoy this rifle

Attachments

• 200 yd target 1.JPEG
    200 yd target 1.JPEG
    271 KB · Views: 5

Slaphitter

My guns fall into two distinct groups. A few precision-oriented rimfires for drilling 10x bullseyes, and then a few centerfires for personal defense. I have pistols and rifles in both categories. For defense pistols I strongly prefer hammer-fired DA/SA.

Jackboeker83

Just showing my brother and nephew’s my other off-road vehicle and a few of my “guns”. 120mm smooth bore cannon, .50 cal machine gun, 2x 240b machine gun, m9 beretta and m4 rifle. All things considered my Jeep gets great gas mileage compared to my tank. 10 gallons just to be start it!!!

5F7DA75D-8CD9-44F7-82FE-C986780C7AD1.jpeg BC370D2D-D42F-49C8-A8B5-E50CAEDCA249.jpeg 7CC6B6E1-EA8B-4DEF-88FF-D1F3761D2E26.jpeg

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I just picked up a FN Fnx 45 Tactical. It's been on the wishlist for awhile. It definitely doesn't disappoint! I usually run Holosun, but I've been impressed with the Vortex Viper so far.

Now I just need a suppressor to really make it tacti-cool.

20230113_022554.jpg

Attachments

• 20230113_022839.jpg
    20230113_022839.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 3

Slaphitter

5.11 tactical sells a velcro holster with a retention strap that also attaches with velcro. I think it’s meant for tactical vests, or for velcro panels inside a purse. The whole thing is basically velcro, and the retention closes with a strong metal snap. You can use that strap, and easily add other strips of velcro as well (buy it by the roll), and strap the holster anywhere you can find a bar to strap it to.

DaJudge

Anyone have a G20? Thinking about getting one to carry in the back country. I am getting mixed reviews about the recoil. Some say it is bad, others that it is the same as a S&W 357. If it is like the 357 then I am good with it, grew up shooting my dad's.

Anyone have a G20? Thinking about getting one to carry in the back country. I am getting mixed reviews about the recoil. Some say it is bad, others that it is the same as a S&W 357. If it is like the 357 then I am good with it, grew up shooting my dad's.
I do have a G20. It’s a Gen4 that I had cut for my preferred RMR. I teach and train as part of my job and what I can tell you about the 10mm in the Glock is that the recoil impulse is very abrupt. Like a hot .40 S&W. It’s not sharp like a .357 SIG or .357 mag. But it’s not as slow as like a .45 ACP. The main downside is just cost of ammunition and its availability. But I think it’s an excellent round for a Glock. Felt recoil versus recoil impulse are two different things. The recoil you feel will largely be based on the individual. However the recoil impulse (how fast and sharp the slide moves) and how you settle it down will be based on your fundamentals.

As an example for me a Glock 19 has a much sharper feel and the impulse is very quick whereas a Glock 34 the impulse is somewhat dead and the slide tends to feel like it’s floating. I don’t want to get too much into the weeds here but this is why a super compact 9mm pistol (think G43) is a lot harder to control than say a Glock 19 or 17. Things are moving so fast due to their reduced mass that they tend to feel really snappy.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I do have a G20. It’s a Gen4 that I had cut for my preferred RMR. I teach and train as part of my job and what I can tell you about the 10mm in the Glock is that the recoil impulse is very abrupt. Like a hot .40 S&W. It’s not sharp like a .357 SIG or .357 mag. But it’s not as slow as like a .45 ACP. The main downside is just cost of ammunition and its availability. But I think it’s an excellent round for a Glock. Felt recoil versus recoil impulse are two different things. The recoil you feel will largely be based on the individual. However the recoil impulse (how fast and sharp the slide moves) and how you settle it down will be based on your fundamentals.

As an example for me a Glock 19 has a much sharper feel and the impulse is very quick whereas a Glock 34 the impulse is somewhat dead and the slide tends to feel like it’s floating. I don’t want to get too much into the weeds here but this is why a super compact 9mm pistol (think G43) is a lot harder to control than say a Glock 19 or 17. Things are moving so fast due to their reduced mass that they tend to feel really snappy.
.40 is a 10mm short... I know it's gets a lot of slack these days... but I still enjoy shooting my 23. Not sure it could be considered a "back country" round but it has a little more pep than the 9mm. I too would like to get a 10mm though.

.40 is a 10mm short... I know it's gets a lot of slack these days... but I still enjoy shooting my 23. Not sure it could be considered a "back country" round but it has a little more pep than the 9mm. I too would like to get a 10mm though.
The .40 is still a great round. But it’s not the cool mall ninja force 5 of instagram round so it gets shit on and unfairly so. The 10mm as a as “fuck your feelings” as it gets in a striker fired semi-auto and it’s awesome for that. I take mine whenever I go to the Rubicon or wheel anywhere near bear country.

DaJudge

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Top Bottom