Should I Get a Supercharger For My Jeep JK ?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I've had my 2014 JKUR for 8 months now and my primary complaint about my Jeep continues to be its epic sluggishness. I have 37" tires and 4.88 gears (wish I went 5.13). I know that some additional power would be a great next addition to the jeep. I have been looking at a RIPP system for the 2014 and have held off on pulling the trigger waiting for a few newer systems to hit the road before committing. I have recently found the Magunessen supercharger system that was released a few months ago. Rather than using a centrifugal blower, it has a twin screw/roots style compressor. I am interested in the immediate power and torque supplied by the Magnussen but am also taunted by the higher HP increases offered by the RIPP system and greater number of jeeps with them installed. Does anyone here have any practical first hand experience with either. Will I potentially be introducing overheating problems on the trail (I have an AEV heat reduction hood, but no other cooling system mods). Has anyone experienced any reliability issues (I will likely be kissing my factory power train warranty goodbye)? Thoughts? Preferences?

Magnusson is better at the low end, RIPP is better at the high end. Prodigy Performance is going to release their turbo kit shortly, which will beat both superchargers at both ends, plus improve your fuel economy....Pick your poison.

10260021_622024491224521_9176752982823124529_n.jpg

10174822_622027604557543_8031546230356181953_n.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Disclaimer...I just love turbo setups. I have no affiliation with Prodigy, no friends, hell, I don't even know where they are, Im just happy that someone made what *LOOKS* like a quality turbo kit.

The pentastar was designed with turbocharging in mind, so it was always a good fit IMHO....the V6 on the new Maserati is actually a pentastar with some modified components.

Having said all that, IMHO, I would regear to the proper ratio (far cheaper) and see if you are happy. If you are not happy with 5.13s, then consider FI. The thing with FI kits, they are only bulletproof when hundreds upon hundreds of people get em, and problems and kinks are ironed out. When you sell only a few dozen, it will be hard to find too many problems that are consistent and find consistent solutions...often times, the first few dozen guys have to spend a bunch of money chasing issues.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
^^^ supercharger + V6 = big reliability issues, they basically cut your engines lifespan in half.

Blanket statement is blanket, not true at all. So long as the tune is spot on, the oil system is adequate, and the upkeep is done, a supercharged/turbocharged motor can run just as long.

kyle521

i was looking on hennessey's website and apparently they make a supercharger as well. They claim 450bhp.

46chevytruck

I'm happy with the magnuson I installed on my 3.8. It kicks in almost immediately off of idle and maintains a consistent power band throughout the rpms. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398999546.824648.jpg . Performed great in Moab this year.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
i was looking on hennessey's website and apparently they make a supercharger as well. They claim 450bhp.

I wouldn't run a Hennessey product if it was given to me for free. Im sure they use the same Vortec blower as Ripp, just a smaller pulley, more boost, and probably less reliability. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

kyle521

I wouldn't run a Hennessey product if it was given to me for free. Im sure they use the same Vortec blower as Ripp, just a smaller pulley, more boost, and probably less reliability. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

comes with a one year warranty

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
comes with a one year warranty

It could come with a lifetime warranty, a lifetime warranty on the entire jeep and a bonus reach around and I still wouldnt run it. Do a little research on Hennessy and you'll see why. He literally stole people's money for years, and still hasn't made people whole to this day.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
It could come with a lifetime warranty, a lifetime warranty on the entire jeep and a bonus reach around and I still wouldnt run it. Do a little research on Hennessy and you'll see why. He literally stole people's money for years, and still hasn't made people whole to this day.

You couldn't be more wrong. My screenname on this forum is based off Vipers I have owned over the years. I have known John for years and will personally vouch for the super cars he builds. I have MULTIPLE friends with ridiculously fast Vipers, camaros, Cadillac, ford GT's all from HPE putting down big HP numbers. Don't believe every rumor you hear on the internet. John is a great guy. I didn't even think to inquire of he built anything for JK's. If he does, he'll get a call in the AM.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You couldn't be more wrong. My screenname on this forum is based off Vipers I have owned over the years. I have known John for years and will personally vouch for the super cars he builds. I have MULTIPLE friends with ridiculously fast Vipers, camaros, Cadillac, ford GT's all from HPE putting down big HP numbers. Don't believe every rumor you hear on the internet. John is a great guy. I didn't even think to inquire of he built anything for JK's. If he does, he'll get a call in the AM.

I personally know people that were ripped off by him for tens of thousands of dollars. One guy for his car. You can stick up for him all you want, but he is nothing but a thief. Google his name and you'll see all the proof you could ever want, photos, checks, cc statements, lawsuits, you name it. I don't want to personally attack you but if you're sticking up for him after all that he's done you're being extremely dishonest.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I personally know people that were ripped off by him for tens of thousands of dollars. One guy for his car. You can stick up for him all you want, but he is nothing but a thief. Google his name and you'll see all the proof you could ever want, photos, checks, cc statements, lawsuits, you name it. I don't want to personally attack you but if you're sticking up for him after all that he's done you're being extremely dishonest.

Pretty new to this site and I'm not getting into an internet pissing contest. Being in Houston myself and being part of the forced induction "viper community" I just may have a different perspective than you. Back to the topic on hand....

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Pretty new to this site and I'm not getting into an internet pissing contest. Being in Houston myself and being part of the forced induction "viper community" I just may have a different perspective than you. Back to the topic on hand....

My last post on the issue so that the OP can decide for himself if he wants to give henessey his money....

From an autoweek article

"According to a lawsuit filed in Salt Lake City, Utah resident Taig Stewart sent his Viper GTS to Hennessey last May for an engine upgrade to 1100 hp along with several other modifications. For that he wire-transferred $142,500 to Hennessey. The lawsuit states the parties agreed the car would be done by mid-July 2001. As of press time the car was still sitting under a tarp in Hennessey’s shop in Houston. Or most of the car, anyway. Stewart’s suit claims Hennessey sold the car’s engine, transmission, wheels, tires and hood. The suit seeks return of the money, the Viper and “no less than $1 million” in punitive damages.

Hennessey claims he’s just slow in getting the work done.

“My side of the story is we’re planning on finishing his car and planning on giving him everything that he paid for,” said Hennessey. As for the parts being sold, “That’s totally false. We’ve got all his parts in the shop except the hood and he wanted to do a lightweight hood.”

Stewart is not the first unsatisfied customer. The longer we dug the more dissatisfaction we found. Here’s a sampling:

On Nov. 14 a New Jersey court entered a final judgement of $133,674 against Hennessey on behalf of Viper owner Gary Dan for a botched conversion.

William Walters said he is out over $22,000 after shipping his Corvette to Hennessey for a head and cam package that was never done; he did have five rods bent and a head gasket damaged on the dyno in Hennessey’s shop during an experiment Hennessey tried with nitrous oxide.

Jerry Johnson said he had to file suit in Placer County Court in California to straighten out registration and engine computer problems on a Viper he bought from Hennessey. n Jon Belinkie said he loves the changes made to his Viper but had to sue in his home state of Maryland, then register the judgement in Texas, to recover overcharges Hennessey made on his American Express card.

Rick Ryan said he had to hound Hennessey for eight months by long distance from Marietta, Georgia, to put the proper wing and stripes on his Viper.

Mark Lublin said he sent his Viper cylinder heads to Hennessey for new valves but when the heads came back he found the “new” valves were actually used; a cam that was delivered to Lublin in a Hennessey box turned out to be a stock Chrysler cam. Lublin was finally refunded $5,715 from American Express but only after nine months of disputing the charge; and he got no money from Hennessey.

Bruce Iannatuono said he ordered $8,500 worth of Hennessey parts for his mechanic in Baltimore to install but was only able to use two-thirds of what was shipped, and then only after haranguing Hennessey for six months on an order that was originally promised in five weeks.

Most of the complaints come from outside Texas. Hennessey, some said, tends to take better care of local customers.

“If you were out of state, man you were fair game,” said Kyle Kent, a former employee at Hennessey Motorsports. When an out-of-state car came in it was sometimes parted out, with the wheels, tires and whatever else looked good going to other cars waiting to be finished or sold outright, according to Kent and others inside Hennessey Motorsports. Then Hennessey would call the car’s owner and try to sell him an upgraded kit. If the customer balked, Hennessey would take parts from other cars in the shop, or just let the job sit.

Kent described one typical disassembly on an out-of-state Viper. “The motor and transmission went into a Durango John was putting together, the brakes went to someone else, the hood went to a guy in Ohio, the rear bumper to South Carolina, man you name it. We had multiple cars like that.”

Another common practice was putting stock parts on what was supposed to be an upgraded car.

“One customer spent $130,000 to $140,000 and that guy thought he had purchased a Venom 650R package which he thought came with the stroker motor,” Kent said. “John told him he was getting a stroker. He was just getting heads and cams.”

Hennessey denies any wrongdoing.

“I’ve got probably 3000 customers,” he said. “I’ve built over 300 cars and out of that I’ve had a handful of people that I’ve had some sort of a delivery problem with and I’ve had some of them who have sued me. So is that some sort of a trend or is that par for the course?”

OJK12

Blanket statement is blanket, not true at all. So long as the tune is spot on, the oil system is adequate, and the upkeep is done, a supercharged/turbocharged motor can run just as long.

It COULD be but everyone always pushes the envelope to get the most power and torque they can putting in the biggest tune and just ends up ruining their motor. The other thing is reliable super chargers are generally on street driven vehicles once you start subjecting them to abuse off road from your heavy foot, to the added heat it takes a toll. 3.8 is a prime example, even the Chrysler engineers have said don't put super chargers on this motor it won't take it and be a reliable motor. These things end up costing about half as much as a V8 swap anyhow and it's no where near the power advantage or as reliable. Super chargers, stroker kits, whatever your poison they will never give you the kind of reliability a factory stock motor will.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
It COULD be but everyone always pushes the envelope to get the most power and torque they can putting in the biggest tune and just ends up ruining their motor. The other thing is reliable super chargers are generally on street driven vehicles once you start subjecting them to abuse off road from your heavy foot, to the added heat it takes a toll. 3.8 is a prime example, even the Chrysler engineers have said don't put super chargers on this motor it won't take it and be a reliable motor. These things end up costing about half as much as a V8 swap anyhow and it's no where near the power advantage or as reliable. Super chargers, stroker kits, whatever your poison they will never give you the kind of reliability a factory stock motor will.

You have a good point. Best bet would be a 6.4L hemi install from AEV. Been trying to avoid the urge to spend THAT much on this car. Dammit... Might still have to give John a call in the AM and get his perspective on the 3.6. My big problem with getting into the deep 5 digit investment on the JK is that at the end of the day it's still slow...really slow. Was hoping for a lower cost solution but the folks here are doing a pretty good job talking me out of it

Last edited:

36Fan

Im a big fan of FI engines,and I do own both turbo and super charged stuff. BUT,for a Jeep I would go with more cubic inches. A long rod/stroked LSX motor would be my choice.

MTG

Caught the Bug
TLDR, but I thought Hennessy was Cognac? :idontknow:

As for a supercharger, everyone I know that has installed one in their jeep has regretted it. I did see a couple of people on youtube that have it and love it. They do cool stuff like donuts at the mall and whatnot. Good luck with your decision. :thumb:

Montague3636

Yes a supercharger is not much less then a ls or hemi swap. But once u put in a 6.0-6.2 ls or a 6.4 hemi u also have no choice but to upgrade to dana 60s. Some people just don't have the money for that. Doesn't mean they are mall crawlers.

jkmohican

I found this bit of information extremely helpful because my brother was talking about doing the hennessy package on his camero and was extremely expensive and I couldnt stop and think "well shit, you could mod your car to do more than that kit offers for less than half the price of the kit" I was right! They are a rip off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tcdawg

Yes a supercharger is not much less then a ls or hemi swap. But once u put in a 6.0-6.2 ls or a 6.4 hemi u also have no choice but to upgrade to dana 60s. Some people just don't have the money for that. Doesn't mean they are mall crawlers.

I'll reiterate that the best way to find out if a SC is for you is to find a similar set up vehicle and drive it on and offroad. That will give you a lot of answers.

The SC vs. V8 arguament is a non issue. They are completely apples and oranges and so is the cost. A supercharged 3.8 is nowhere near the performance of an LS or Hemi and neither is the price.

I have plans for an LS in the future but found a used Ripp that I'll use until that time. I have a total of $3K in the Ripp system and installed it myself in one day...even if I had a shop do the install I would have less than $4k in it. My LS swap will cost $20K at a shop. You can't compare the performance or price, they are simply not in the same ball park.

edit for an interesting comment: I bought my Ripp from a women who was advised that the Ripp would be a great upgrade with V8 like power. She bought it new, had it installed and was very disappointed...its does not give V8 power AND you still have the less than wonderful 42rle. She sent her jeep to Motech and had an LS put in. She got her V8, I got her Ripp for a darn good deal. Someone else will probably get my Ripp when I go LS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom