Should I Get a Supercharger For My Jeep JK ?

Not to put down the RIPP cuz I've heard great results but I hear Magnuson also has a great supercharger for jeeps as well. Know a bunch of jeeps running em with no problems. It's worth a search just to give you another option while shopping :thumb:

Couple of questions, since I've been looking at the Ripp and Sprintex SC kits longingly for a while now myself.

1) Any issues with the trans holding up after the SC upgrade?

2) How much was the labor cost?

3) How much tuning and fiddling did it require and how close is it to having stock drivability after everything is set and done (ie. flat spot, goofy throttle lag, heating issues, anything like that)?

Couple of questions, since I've been looking at the Ripp and Sprintex SC kits longingly for a while now myself.

1) Any issues with the trans holding up after the SC upgrade?

2) How much was the labor cost?

3) How much tuning and fiddling did it require and how close is it to having stock drivability after everything is set and done (ie. flat spot, goofy throttle lag, heating issues, anything like that)?

1) Haven't ran it long enough to be able to address tranny longevity but have heard from many users who have put substantial mileage on the system without breaks or failures

2) Was $500 for install

3) After I sent my stock tune to RIPP they sent the custom tune back within 48hrs. After it was uploaded and ran it there was a bit of surging initially and the bov was dumping a little early but figured it was because I still had 87 octane in the tank. Once it went empty and filled with premium have had zero issues.

Side note, did have a squeak from the belt/pulley but with a google/youtube search found the appropriate fix.

I would recommend getting the headers too. I was surprised how much difference it made when I got mine. It added a lot of low end torque and power and gave it a deeper sound ... Totally worthed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

this seems to be one of those topics that people either love the SC or hate them. I have put a few superchargers on non jeeps and while the install is usually pretty straight forward and easy i still think its a bad idea unless you are ok with most likely damaging your motor or tranny later on down the line. This is the type of upgrade that if you dont know how to work on your motor you should probably stay away from or your going to be in and out of a repair shop. Just my two cents but i would stay away from this and if you really need the extra power start saving for a hemi upgrade. Either way you go im very interested to see how it all works out for you!! :rock:

Which Supercharger?

I've had my 2014 JKUR for 8 months now and my primary complaint about my Jeep continues to be its epic sluggishness. I have 37" tires and 4.88 gears (wish I went 5.13). I know that some additional power would be a great next addition to the jeep. I have been looking at a RIPP system for the 2014 and have held off on pulling the trigger waiting for a few newer systems to hit the road before committing. I have recently found the Magunessen supercharger system that was released a few months ago. Rather than using a centrifugal blower, it has a twin screw/roots style compressor. I am interested in the immediate power and torque supplied by the Magnussen but am also taunted by the higher HP increases offered by the RIPP system and greater number of jeeps with them installed. Does anyone here have any practical first hand experience with either. Will I potentially be introducing overheating problems on the trail (I have an AEV heat reduction hood, but no other cooling system mods). Has anyone experienced any reliability issues (I will likely be kissing my factory power train warranty goodbye)? Thoughts? Preferences?

Ive been debating this for a while too for my 08. I have a friend with the ripp and he likes it but has stated he wished it kicked in sooner. Ive been tossing back and forth between the mugnessen and the sprintex. Those are both tvs s.c. so they give more power at bottom end but dont top as high. for off road, the power is needed at lower rpms.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

As for warranties I think you may be able to get around it if you have the dealer install, idk though, I'm anti dealer. You can always call them

Seeing that RIPP is the most used, that would make it a done feal for me. Superchargers are scary, so you want to get one that you have more confidence with and I would put my money in only a RIPP. Lots of cross country testing with them and have done lots of research into their system and reliability. The power is awesome, thats the other done deal for me :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

i wouldnt waste my money on a supercharger. it would be nice on the street but on the trails it will do nothing for you as the power ban is on the middle/higher end of the rpm range. if you are dead set on getting one tho i would get a ripp or AEV.

Well thats the point of the non ripp sc is that they start giving power at low rpms like 1500, sc is just a cheaper alternative to a all out power swap. Ive looked into the ls swap and 4bt plenty of times most of just dont have deep enough pockets for that one. And why ls instead of hemi... it weighs less

i wouldnt waste my money on a supercharger. it would be nice on the street but on the trails it will do nothing for you as the power ban is on the middle/higher end of the rpm range. if you are dead set on getting one tho i would get a ripp or AEV.

Couldn't agree with this more ^^^^

In spite of what all the sales pitches made from the various manufacturers out there, I have yet to personally see a single Jeep with a supercharger that I was actually impressed by. Every single time we have a guy with a supercharger in our group, he's always the last in line, trying to keep up on long hill climbs and can never bump up big ledges because his power always comes in too late.

Will I potentially be introducing overheating problems on the trail (I have an AEV heat reduction hood, but no other cooling system mods). Has anyone experienced any reliability issues (I will likely be kissing my factory power train warranty goodbye)? Thoughts? Preferences?

I have the Ripp with 3.8. No overheating or reliability issues. Don't know anything about your warranty, I am not under a warranty.

I got mine used for about half the price of new. At that price point, I felt it was a good deal. I would recommend anyone buying a new one to find a jeep near you with the SC you are interested in and drive it. That will be the only way to know if the price vs. performance is what you are looking for. If I had pad new price, at least for the 3.8 Ripp, I would not have been totally satisfied. The power bump is good, but not extreme. But again, drive one and you be the judge. The 3.6 Ripp offers more performance. The roots style, which I have no experience with may also offer something you like as well.

With the 4:1 TC and 5.38 gears, my rpm's in 4lo spin up pretty quick and the boost does kick in nicely after about 2200 to 2300 rpm. To say it will do "nothing' for you offroad is not correct at least from my experience with my set up. May be different with the 2.7:1 TC and different gears, I don't know. You are correct that max boost comes at the higher rpm's.

Couldn't agree with this more ^^^^

In spite of what all the sales pitches made from the various manufacturers out there, I have yet to personally see a single Jeep with a supercharger that I was actually impressed by. Every single time we have a guy with a supercharger in our group, he's always the last in line, trying to keep up on long hill climbs and can never bump up big ledges because his power always comes in too late.

Is there really any disadvantage though? I can't imagine the supercharger being a burden unless there is a reliability issue....

Is there really any disadvantage though? I can't imagine the supercharger being a burden unless there is a reliability issue....

^^^ supercharger + V6 = big reliability issues, they basically cut your engines lifespan in half.

Exactly what coz says /\/\/\. If this is a street and highway rig, the forced induction is a tiny bit more practical. Superchargers are great for cars that go fast in straight lines for very short distances. The minute you are crawling on a trail with an engine bay full of heat sinking into that compressor and no substantial flow and change in ambient air temperature going over and around that intercooler, you will not be making very much additional horsepower.

My recommendation, just regear and call it a day. It's a JEEP, not a race car! I understand you're running 4.88s, but for the price you'd spend on the supercharger and the headaches it'd create, spend the money on 5.13s and sell your 4.88s to someone to recoup some of your money. Plus you'll hold your power train warranty by skipping the supercharger.

Top Bottom