Selecting a Mig welder.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Yes this is what I ment thank you. Is the auto feed better or more problematic?

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ah, gotcha. I’ve use the Miller with auto-set and my Esab has sMig (smart mig). Those do more than set your wire speed. You just dial in your material thickness and wire size and it adjusts the settings accordingly. It also adjusts parameters on the fly to stabilize your arc based on your weld style, gun angle, travel speed, etc. I felt like the Esab sMig ran a little better than the auto-set in my opinion. Overall I think having that feature is cool and it helps beginners get welding but you should really spend some time with scrap in the manual mode. Having the machine assistance takes a lot of the learning away from the welder. What happens when you get on a machine without it? What if the welder you’re using doesn’t have recommended settings? The less you use the assistance the more time you spend progressing in your welding technique. Maintaining angle, travel speed, stickout, etc. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s a great feature to have in a welder, I just think you’d be doing yourself an injustice if you end up using it solely.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

Ah, gotcha. I’ve use the Miller with auto-set and my Esab has sMig (smart mig). Those do more than set your wire speed. You just dial in your material thickness and wire size and it adjusts the settings accordingly. It also adjusts parameters on the fly to stabilize your arc based on your weld style, gun angle, travel speed, etc. I felt like the Esab sMig ran a little better than the auto-set in my opinion. Overall I think having that feature is cool and it helps beginners get welding but you should really spend some time with scrap in the manual mode. Having the machine assistance takes a lot of the learning away from the welder. What happens when you get on a machine without it? What if the welder you’re using doesn’t have recommended settings? The less you use the assistance the more time you spend progressing in your welding technique. Maintaining angle, travel speed, stickout, etc. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s a great feature to have in a welder, I just think you’d be doing yourself an injustice if you end up using it solely.

Thanks thats good info to know. My buddy has one and it always seems like he's messing with the feed rate and it's either too fast or too slow no matter what.

I told myself I was going to purchase something and learn to weld so I'm finally starting to look at options.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

is there any big benefit to having the TIG for jeep projects? i know that TIG can be stronger and cleaner but is it really necessary for something like long arm brackets, axle brackets, coilover brackets, evo weld on sliders? Im really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Hobart 210 for the price, ability to use both power sources and i think it will suit my needs. I cant imagine TIG would be necessary for the things mentioned above and MIG should be just fine right? i hate that i have been putting off jeep projects due to not wanting to pay someone to weld shit. Im just ready to buy a welder and get to work but i have never welded on the frame or axles of a vehicle.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
is there any big benefit to having the TIG for jeep projects? i know that TIG can be stronger and cleaner but is it really necessary for something like long arm brackets, axle brackets, coilover brackets, evo weld on sliders? Im really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Hobart 210 for the price, ability to use both power sources and i think it will suit my needs. I cant imagine TIG would be necessary for the things mentioned above and MIG should be just fine right? i hate that i have been putting off jeep projects due to not wanting to pay someone to weld shit. Im just ready to buy a welder and get to work but i have never welded on the frame or axles of a vehicle.

Mig will be 100% suitable for all that. :thumb:

TrailHunter

Hooked

I bought a used Miller Syncrowave 200 about 8 years ago so I could learn how to TIG steel & aluminum.... Short story long..... I use my small 110V Miller MIG 100% of the time. My next welder will be a 220V MIG. I still want to learn how to TIG though... Just to add, I can't imagine trying to TIG in hard to reach places on the Jeep. MIG all the way.

desertrunner

Miller is worth every penny. Enjoy yo-self

I think it will take me some time for it to pay for itself BUT its definitely a machine i can grow into rather than grow out of. It also had a few features that made me pick it over the Hobart which was significantly more adjust ability with voltage and being able to weld 3/16" on 120V. by no means did i need the miller but i would much rather buy something once than end up having to upgrade later.

jesse3638

Hooked
I think it will take me some time for it to pay for itself BUT its definitely a machine i can grow into rather than grow out of. It also had a few features that made me pick it over the Hobart which was significantly more adjust ability with voltage and being able to weld 3/16" on 120V. by no means did i need the miller but i would much rather buy something once than end up having to upgrade later.
Well you do own a jeep so you're familiar with the phrase "buy once, cry once".

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom