Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

pcart

Ill take a stab, to me its being self sufficient for week(s) with a rig as close to stock to source parts easier.while its seen as going out into the great unknown without seeing civilization for days which to me is impossible in the US. I think its more so visiting different areas in the country and taking in what they have to offer which any rig could do so yes in the jk world its 90% looks and a way to put certain mods into a characterization...lets see my jeep- snorkel, roof rack, Jerry cans, aev lift 37's and even a slide out storage drawer in the back. I don't consider myself an overlander I live in Ohio, my jeep just happens to fit the stereotype. I built it to provide what i need for other activities ie quad trips, hiking, hunting, camping kayaking and of course off road trips with the jeep. My jeep setup the way it is fullfills my needs and thats what it in the end comes down to. I feel like I just rambeled but I hope that makes some sense.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130131_123318.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130131_123318.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ill take a stab, to me its being self sufficient for week(s) with a rig as close to stock to source parts easier.while its seen as going out into the great unknown without seeing civilization for days which to me is impossible in the US. I think its more so visiting different areas in the country and taking in what they have to offer which any rig could do so yes in the jk world its 90% looks and a way to put certain mods into a characterization...lets see my jeep- snorkel, roof rack, Jerry cans, aev lift 37's and even a slide out storage drawer in the back. I don't consider myself an overlander I live in Ohio, my jeep just happens to fit the stereotype. I built it to provide what i need for other activities ie quad trips, hiking, hunting, camping kayaking and of course off road trips with the jeep. My jeep setup the way it is fullfills my needs and thats what it in the end comes down to. I feel like I just rambeled but I hope that makes some sense.

And to all that, I say plain and simply, nice looking Jeep you've got there. :thumb:

WMPhoto

Hey, PCart...
Yeah, the whole sourcing parts is very important... Even when your not on the trail... Or say in the parking lot of an Auto Store that doesn't have wheel studs to fit the JK...
But I totally agree. You build your Jeep to perform in the environment you like to play.
I think the whole "what lift" and "how big of tires" questions are ones that everyone has. In the end everybody wants to go "there" and get back again.

My JKU...
PC230004.JPG
2012Vacation242.JPG

Tackerdown

Banned
Is that the new EVO tire carrier? :cheesy:

That snorkel looks like a wet vac hose...:thinking: :thumb:

I'm inspired.

It was pretty cool looking in my op. And the snork could have been a hose it was very small. It made a 90 at the top of the wind shield and went about another foot towards the middle .

C.O.D.

jksmith93

As someone from a much more wild and less developed nation than America.... America is just a bit too much developed with infastructure to partake in the more idea of overland or as we are more akin to call it, expedition.

You guys have done a great job creating recreational infastructure throughout your nation such that its not such a monumental undertaking for many and alot of experiences are achieveable for a huge proportion of your population. You have no idea how great your maps are!

Some of the major build differences we see between an expedition vehicle and rock crawler....

Gearing is more stock.
No armour
Usually runs a smaller tire.
Usually not a Jeep. More likely a LC, p/u or roomier vehicle. Though this is changing a bit with the JKU.
Our significantly less disposable income and higher cost of living probably is part of the slow accepance of the $$$$ JK compared to the more acceptably priced used trucks for these purposes.

An expedition type trip a few of us have been talking about is "The Canol Trail" . Starts at the Yukon border and heads NE. I think maybe 50% is driveable. The trail actually ends on the wrong side of the MacKenzie River at Norman Wells.

YMMV

I agree here. http://youtu.be/wk6KJXeOM0k This video is what comes to mind when I think over landing, and granted, Moby could do all of this I do not doubt, but obviously, 40"s and pro rocks, etc. are not all NECESSARY for "overlanding." My $.02

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...This video is what comes to mind when I think over landing

and what comes to mind for me is just plain off roading, something all of us do the minute we step off the pavement and, something I think we all enjoy.

...granted, Moby could do all of this I do not doubt, but obviously, 40"s and pro rocks, etc. are not all NECESSARY for "overlanding." My $.02

For all that self-proclaimed overlanders pat themselves on the back about, the journey being the adventure, not knowing what's ahead and being prepaired for anything, I find it amusing at what they consider to be "NECESSARY".

As Greg so eloquently said earlier in this thread, "I can go anywhere an overland Jeep can go but, an overland Jeep cannot go where I can go." :yup:

jksmith93

"I can go anywhere an overland Jeep can go but, an overland Jeep cannot go where I can go." :yup:

I'm with you, I think that this is the truth of it. Overlanding is more a look, more so in America than anywhere else. There are few places around where I live to do true, multi day overland expedition. We all drive off road, rock crawl, etc. it's all under one umbrella and that's "offroading"

gtony12

Caught the Bug
:twocents: All I can say is; enjoy all the off-roading, exploring, adventure and over-landing you can. Life is short and one day it will all be gone! But drive a jeep you can go and see more places :driving:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I agree here. http://youtu.be/wk6KJXeOM0k This video is what comes to mind when I think over landing, and granted, Moby could do all of this I do not doubt, but obviously, 40"s and pro rocks, etc. are not all NECESSARY for "overlanding." My $.02

Did anyone see the size of that hole they went through at 1:30? :eek: Bad ass!

What I want to know is why nobody is talking about pith helmets? :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you can believe it, this used to be a paved road where regular cars used to drive on...

main.php

Granted, this is a really old route that hasn't been used by cars in years but, it only takes one big storm to tear out a road or trail and make it next to impassible in anything but the most capable Jeep. Over the years, I have come across many such instances where the trail ahead should have been relatively easy to navigate but was unexpectedly, anything but. And, because of this, I have built up my Jeep accordingly. Again, I can go anywhere an overland Jeep can go but, an overland Jeep cannot go where I can go. :yup:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
If you can believe it, this used to be a paved road where regular cars used to drive on...

main.php

Granted, this is a really old route that hasn't been used by cars in years but, it only takes one big storm to tear out a road or trail and make it next to impassible in anything but the most capable Jeep. Over the years, I have come across many such instances where the trail ahead should have been relatively easy to navigate but was unexpectedly, anything but. And, because of this, I have built up my Jeep accordingly. Again, I can go anywhere an overland Jeep can go but, an overland Jeep cannot go where I can go. :yup:

I think after seeing this and reading what you wrote, I don't think anyone can say anything more! :thumb:

Top Bottom