Rebel off-road coilover kit ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dibs on the used bolt on kit!!!!

Just kidding.

:cheesy: If you change your mind, let me know.

BTW, you should have joined us on our kick off run last Sunday. Hope you can make it out to one of our upcoming runs too.

Brewman

:cheesy: If you change your mind, let me know.

BTW, you should have joined us on our kick off run last Sunday. Hope you can make it out to one of our upcoming runs too.

I got busy and didn't get my daily dose of wayalife for a while and missed the thread. It looked like fun. See ya guys at KOH!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Can you run 40's with the full Bolton kit? (Non Evolever)

We Are Jeep..Resistance Is Futile..

You can run 40's yes. Your axles and DS are what need to be beefed up for those big tires. I know you've got a 60 waiting to be installed right?

And trust me when I say this Lee, you will not regret going with the EVO bolt on Coilover setup vs the rebel! :yup:

You can run 40's yes. Your axles and DS are what need to be beefed up for those big tires. I know you've got a 60 waiting to be installed right?

And trust me when I say this Lee, you will not regret going with the EVO bolt on Coilover setup vs the rebel! :yup:

Yes, and a 1ton front in the works, all of which would get installed at the same time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't sure if Evo's kit would sit too low or not .

Is there such a thing with coil overs? If anything, it's hard to get them to not be so tall and the Rebel kit is proof of that. The EVO brackets will allow you to set your coil overs to about 3" of lift. I have mine set at about 3.5" to clear my 37's and would only raise them about an inch to clear 40's. I'm pretty sure that the Rebel kit can't be set any lower than 6"+.

Is there such a thing with coil overs? If anything, it's hard to get them to not be so tall and the Rebel kit is proof of that. The EVO brackets will allow you to set your coil overs to about 3" of lift. I have mine set at about 3.5" to clear my 37's and would only raise them about an inch to clear 40's. I'm pretty sure that the Rebel kit can't be set any lower than 6"+.

I'm hoping to avoid having to use a body lift, if that's even possible. Just don't care for the way they look. And we all know the last thing we need is a higher center of gravity.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping to avoid having to use a body lift, if that's even possible. Just don't care for the way they look.

Why would you need a body lift? I mean, if you really wanted to, you could set your coils overs to sit pretty much as tall as you want. if you want to go even taller, you could get coils with a heavier spring rate and sit way taller than a Rebel kit. :idontknow:

Why would you need a body lift? I mean, if you really wanted to, you could set your coils overs to sit pretty much as tall as you want. if you want to go even taller, you could get coils with a heavier spring rate and sit way taller than a Rebel kit. :idontknow:

Coilovers are a whole new animal for me,Eddie. That's why I'm asking questions that may sound newbie-ish or stupid, lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Coilovers are a whole new animal for me,Eddie. That's why I'm asking questions that may sound newbie-ish or stupid, lol.

It's all good. You just need to look at coil overs as being two different coils, one stacked on top of the other and with a shock going through the middle of them. This shock is what the coils are mounted to and the shock is mounted on the frame on one side and the axle on the other. Now, try to imagine that down the length of the shock tube, you have threads where a collar is threaded on. This what the upper coil is pushing up against and, depending on where YOU position that collar, up high on the shock body for a nice low stance or, down low on the body for a sky high stance. You know how a budget boost works right? Basically a spacer that sits on top of a coil to give you about 2.5" of lift? Well, the adjustment collar on a coil over shock body is kind of the same thing. Depending on where you position it, that for the most part will determine your height.

Does this make sense?

It's all good. You just need to look at coil overs as being two different coils, one stacked on top of the other and with a shock going through the middle of them. This shock is what the coils are mounted to and the shock is mounted on the frame on one side and the axle on the other. Now, try to imagine that down the length of the shock tube, you have threads where a collar is threaded on. This what the upper coil is pushing up against and, depending on where YOU position that collar, up high on the shock body for a nice low stance or, down low on the body for a sky high stance. You know how a budget boost works right? Basically a spacer that sits on top of a coil to give you about 2.5" of lift? Well, the adjustment collar on a coil over shock body is kind of the same thing. Depending on where you position it, that for the most part will determine your height.

Does this make sense?

Perfect sense, thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case, here is an illustration to help clear things up.

DSC08109.jpg

As you can see, going taller is super easy to do as you have a lot of room to work with. The trick is keeping your ride height low and the EVO brackets will allow you to do just that and without compromising your vertical travel. You get more stuff and tons of droop. Because of how their brackets are designed, the lowest setting on the Rebel kit will be significantly taller than the EVO brackets.

Does this make sense?
Now I know how coil overs work. :doh:Thanks. I would love to drive a Jeep with this setup to see if that is something I really want.

Now I know how coil overs work. :doh:Thanks. I would love to drive a Jeep with this setup to see if that is something I really want.

Right now I'm running on Skyjacker coils. I really think it says something when the 2013 Freightliner I drive at work rides smoother than my Jeep.:D

JAGS

Hooked
................. Does this make sense?

Man, I'm new to all this and maybe a lot of people already know these things? But, your last two posts really clearly and simply explained the coilover.

I knew there was a ring you could dial in, but really didnt understand the tech behind it. Great couple posts!

And a picture to boot!!! That really helped.

- Jason

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I'm new to all this and maybe a lot of people already know these things? But, your last two posts really clearly and simply explained the coilover.

I knew there was a ring you could dial in, but really didnt understand the tech behind it. Great couple posts!

And a picture to boot!!! That really helped.

Well, I'm glad that I could help out. It should be noted that the upper coil is typically a softer spring and is used for most of your ride. The timing ring is set so that if you hit a big enough dip, rut or bump, the collar separating the two coils come into contact with it and prevents the upper coil from compressing anymore. This in turn allows the lower coil with a heavier spring rate take over. This is what makes coil overs so much better than any standard coil, dual rate coil or silly long coil with has a top portion that runs solid until you droop out your axle. There simply is no comparison to them AND, if you run something like an EVO kit, you will have an upper mounting point that is higher than stock and that will allow you to have more stuff as well.

Top Bottom