Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Sheetrock delivery on Monday. Going to Sheetrock, paint, drop the prefinished floors and move back in. The family is going nuts. Gotta get them back home.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I was lucky I bought all my copper pipe and wiring early. Prices of that stuff has doubled around here. I did get hammered on the 8/3 wire I needed for the electric wall oven. $430 for 125 feet. I was also without a roof when lumber peaked. Ended up paying $130 each for 37 26’ 2X10’s and $85 per board of 3/4” plywood. I needed 30 of those. Lumber has come down quite a bit here, so I’m hoping to not get crushed building the deck off the glass sliders I put in.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I was lucky I bought all my copper pipe and wiring early. Prices of that stuff has doubled around here. I did get hammered on the 8/3 wire I needed for the electric wall oven. $430 for 125 feet. I was also without a roof when lumber peaked. Ended up paying $130 each for 37 26’ 2X10’s and $85 per board of 3/4” plywood. I needed 30 of those. Lumber has come down quite a bit here, so I’m hoping to not get crushed building the deck off the glass sliders I put in.
Dear Lord that looks like a ton of work. You did it all by yourself?

BaddestCross

Been awhile since I posted an update on our personal home rehab... Rough plumbing and electrical done. Exterior walls spray foamed. Pocket door frames installed. Sheetrock should start getting hung tomorrow...
20210801_131838.jpg

20210801_131847.jpg

20210801_131901.jpg 20210801_131910.jpg 20210801_131935.jpg 20210801_131948.jpg 20210801_132011.jpg 20210801_132025.jpg

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Dear Lord that looks like a ton of work. You did it all by yourself?
For the most part, yes. I didn’t want to GC this job, but the prices I had from 3 contractors I had lined up increased between 85k-115k and that price was only good for 7 days. So I had to go it alone.
I’ve had some friends and coworkers helping out. My wife has been a trooper too when we’ve had someone to watch the kids. Depot and Lowe’s parking lot guys haven’t been worth a shit and none lasted more than a day.
Its been a lot of bull work doing it alone and a lot of ingenuity. Here’s just a few examples, sheathing alone, house wrap alone and hanging 17’ steel beams alone:

Attachments

• 99206C5D-52B3-4E1D-9DAC-DEDD2A2F1A3A.jpeg
    99206C5D-52B3-4E1D-9DAC-DEDD2A2F1A3A.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 13F4E775-1D11-45CA-8951-0E5BCBF5C3D7.jpeg
    13F4E775-1D11-45CA-8951-0E5BCBF5C3D7.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 9
  • B58836D4-C0B3-434E-80DF-95A83E01CD49.jpeg
    B58836D4-C0B3-434E-80DF-95A83E01CD49.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 9

BaddestCross

For the most part, yes. I didn’t want to GC this job, but the prices I had from 3 contractors I had lined up increased between 85k-115k and that price was only good for 7 days. So I had to go it alone.
I’ve had some friends and coworkers helping out. My wife has been a trooper too when we’ve had someone to watch the kids. Depot and Lowe’s parking lot guys haven’t been worth a shit and none lasted more than a day.
Its been a lot of bull work doing it alone and a lot of ingenuity. Here’s just a few examples, sheathing alone, house wrap alone and hanging 17’ steel beams alone:
I feel your pain. We've been doing everything we can ourselves.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Been awhile since I posted an update on our personal home rehab... Rough plumbing and electrical done. Exterior walls spray foamed. Pocket door frames installed. Sheetrock should start getting hung tomorrow...
View attachment 365605

View attachment 365606

View attachment 365607 View attachment 365608 View attachment 365609 View attachment 365610 View attachment 365611 View attachment 365612
Are we on the same schedule? I have a little more rough plumbing to do. Aside from the major structural improvements, I thought the spray foam and windows were the best moves I’ve made.

BaddestCross

Are we on the same schedule? I have a little more rough plumbing to do. Aside from the major structural improvements, I thought the spray foam and windows were the best moves I’ve made.
Lol. If you're 6 months behind schedule, then yes, we're on the same schedule 🤣

Ended up not replacing windows due to cost and lead time. Restoring 80 year old windows has been an interesting project. 🙄

The exterior walls are cinder block so we installed furring so we could foam for a vapor barrier and insulation. Will do the roof rafters at some point as well once I've repaired done structural issues.

We gutted the place all the way down to dirt and converted the raised foundation to a floating slab... It's been a fuck ton of work. Hoping to have it livable in a couple months. Tired of having 3 people and 2 dogs "living" in 400 sqft. 😳

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Yeah man. Me, the wife 2 kids and dog have been living at my mothers 800 sq ft. I feel I’m lucky to have that. The kids are begging to go home.
I actually dug the foundation, so it also extended the basement. The price difference between extending with a slab and just blowing out the foundation was minimal. That job was contracted out.
I wasn’t planning on all this. But as you know, the deeper you dig, the more you see needs to be replaced. I was stripped down to 3 walls and no roof.
I got a great price on my windows. Lowe’s had Pella at 15% off and I got another 12% off on top of it. 21 windows, 1 10’X5’ bay window, 6’X4’ living room window and a 6’X3’ kitchen window, I spent under 10k and got really good windows.
I’m glad I’m not 6 months behind. I’ll move back in 2 months later than expected, putting me at 5 months. Then I’ll be doing a lot of finishing work.
You’re work is looking real good. I know how easy it is to get discouraged. I hit a couple of times where I felt it was never going to get done. The Sheetrock will help. Seeing walls closed gives a better feeling. I’ve got 250 boards to move in tomorrow. Hoping by Tuesday night I’ll be able to show some progress.

BaddestCross

Yeah man. Me, the wife 2 kids and dog have been living at my mothers 800 sq ft. I feel I’m lucky to have that. The kids are begging to go home.
I actually dug the foundation, so it also extended the basement. The price difference between extending with a slab and just blowing out the foundation was minimal. That job was contracted out.
I wasn’t planning on all this. But as you know, the deeper you dig, the more you see needs to be replaced. I was stripped down to 3 walls and no roof.
I got a great price on my windows. Lowe’s had Pella at 15% off and I got another 12% off on top of it. 21 windows, 1 10’X5’ bay window, 6’X4’ living room window and a 6’X3’ kitchen window, I spent under 10k and got really good windows.
I’m glad I’m not 6 months behind. I’ll move back in 2 months later than expected, putting me at 5 months. Then I’ll be doing a lot of finishing work.
You’re work is looking real good. I know how easy it is to get discouraged. I hit a couple of times where I felt it was never going to get done. The Sheetrock will help. Seeing walls closed gives a better feeling. I’ve got 250 boards to move in tomorrow. Hoping by Tuesday night I’ll be able to show some progress.
Thanks for the encouragement 🍻

I can't really complain too much since I had to do a lot of rehab on the cottage that we moved into before we could begin the main house. Also rehabbed another house to flip at the same time, so we were split between a lot of projects that contributed to the timeline. 🤣

Top Bottom