Oversized Spare Tire Carrier

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
What size tire are you looking to run? Factory is plenty strong if you mount it properly and keep it secure so it doesnt move.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
What size tire are you looking to run? Factory is plenty strong if you mount it properly and keep it secure so it doesnt move.

but, you WILL damage the tail gate if you come down wrong and catch the tire... :twocents:

If you want to protect the tailgate I.E.> NOT damage it, your best bet is a tire carrier that is NOT mounted on the tail gate.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
35's...can't afford a new bumper so this is my only option

You can mount a 35 on the factory one. Just make sure you get something like the daystar bump stop extensions to press against it and try to minimize the rattling/movement of the spare. However, if you are wheeling and come down and catch the spare on a ledge, you can damage the carrier and possibly the tailgate also. I would look into the EVO one (requires their corners also), the gen right one, or possibly the Poison Spyder one. Maybe even the AEV one. I have zero experience with any of these though. So its just my :twocents:

BitBucket

Have you looked at the Crawler Conceptz one? Its linked to the tail gate but moved the mounting points off of the tailgate.

I am running the Crawler Conceptz with a 37 mounted on it. Worked great on the Rubicon trail but I did weld a small post on the very top of the carrier to give the tire another stabilization point. I also modded the stock 3rd break light to fit on the post. The carrier is mounted to the body and attached to gate so opens and closes with the gate.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I am running the Crawler Conceptz with a 37 mounted on it. Worked great on the Rubicon trail but I did weld a small post on the very top of the carrier to give the tire another stabilization point. I also modded the stock 3rd break light to fit on the post. The carrier is mounted to the body and attached to gate so opens and closes with the gate.

Could you put up a few pics so I can see where you added the weld?

BitBucket

Could you put up a few pics so I can see where you added the weld?

Left photo shows where I attached the square tube on top of the tire carrier. The right one shows a side view where it stabilizes the the tire. Sorry, hard to see with modded stock 3rd brake light attached.
Capture2.JPG Capture1.JPG

WJCO

Meme King
Left photo shows where I attached the square tube on top of the tire carrier. The right one shows a side view where it stabilizes the the tire. Sorry, hard to see with modded stock 3rd brake light attached.
View attachment 174952 View attachment 174953

Did you notice a difference before and after? I ask just because my swing arm occasionally vibrates, but when it does, it's the whole swing portion, not just the tire itself. Let me know. I may modify mine a little as well. I saw another DIY carrier do something similar to this.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Awesome thanks for the photos and great job on the third brake light.

Sorry for the thread hijack OP.

BitBucket

@MR.Ty

Added to keep 37 inch tire from being able to rock forward and backward. Seems pretty solid!

Sorry as well to the OP for getting sidetracked.....:doh:

Shootingjeeper

I'm running the Maximus 3 carrier and don't have any complaints about it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448411035.224115.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448411066.353549.jpg
I have since got rid of the 3rd brake light mast and moved the light where it shines thru the spokes of the wheel.

Top Bottom