Oversized Spare Tire Carrier

mds22

You bent the tailgate because you either didn't have the tire pressed tight against it or you dropped off a ledge and hit it. Those are the two ways wheeling would bend it. It's not because the gate is weak.

This ^^^ just keep it pressed tight.
I was told I should take it off when I wheeled. But found that to be BS as long as it's tight and doesn't jiggle. I did add an extra bump at the bottom to be safe b/c I had to raise up the mount to clear my rear bumper. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449933723.801066.jpg

CastleRockJeep

I picked up the daystar extended bump stops. Anyone have any tips for trimming to the proper length? I'm assuming it's self explanatory however any suggestions would be appreciated!

TeamFaust

So with a 35" Nitto MG you think no problem with the stock mount even without a HD hinge reinforcement kit. If so maybe hold off and rethink when I upgrade to 37s. Anyone have any experience with or understanding on if there is any really advantage with HD hinge kit such as RR Spartacus, TF, Tactik, etc.? If so are they pretty much all the same or any advantage of one over the other.

I guess other option is a hinge mounted carrier like the Crawler Concepts of PS set ups -- pros/cons on these?

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You can mount a 35 on the factory one. Just make sure you get something like the daystar bump stop extensions to press against it and try to minimize the rattling/movement of the spare. However, if you are wheeling and come down and catch the spare on a ledge, you can damage the carrier and possibly the tailgate also. I would look into the EVO one (requires their corners also), the gen right one, or possibly the Poison Spyder one. Maybe even the AEV one. I have zero experience with any of these though. So its just my :twocents:

So with a 35" Nitto MG you think no problem with the stock mount even without a HD hinge reinforcement kit. If so maybe hold off and rethink when I upgrade to 37s. Anyone have any experience with or understanding on if there is any really advantage with HD hinge kit such as RR Spartacus, TF, Tactik, etc.? If so are they pretty much all the same or any advantage of one over the other.

I guess other option is a hinge moo yes carrier like the Crawler Concepts of PS set ups -- pros/cons on these?

I have had my 35s on factory rims on the factory carrier for a little over a year and probably about 10k miles now. No issues yet.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Guessing you needed to use an relocation plate/off-set of some type with the 35s, yes?
What are you using?

With the factory 3rd brake light in the factory location and depending on what bumper you have then you will need some sort of spacer in between the factory bracket and the rim if it is factory rims. I have a teraflex one that I got for $10 bucks brand new from a buddy. I believe they are about $30 new through a vendor. I think if you have cut the factory 3rd brake light off or extend it up some and maybe running a non factory bumper then you can run without the spacer piece. I am not sure on that though. I am thinking about relocating the license plate to the spare and running a taglight kit with a 3rd brake light also so I will probably be trying to run without the spacer sometime soon. I also have the EVO rear fascia kit so no bumper.

Bacon

I use the stock carrier with a drop hitch turned upside down in the receiver. The tire rests against the hitch, which carries all the weight. It also acts as a skid for the tire. I've drug it over numerous rocks without the tire/tailgate being touched.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I picked up the daystar extended bump stops. Anyone have any tips for trimming to the proper length? I'm assuming it's self explanatory however any suggestions would be appreciated!

First, I wouldn't trim them. If you are going to use them you need to smash the tire on there to make sure it's tight.

Second, that is the only day star product I wouldn't recommend. Those bump stops rot out and become basically useless. They had a better version in the past that they no longer make. I would get a polyurethane bushing instead.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

First, I wouldn't trim them. If you are going to use them you need to smash the tire on there to make sure it's tight.

Second, that is the only day star product I wouldn't recommend. Those bump stops rot out and become basically useless. They had a better version in the past that they no longer make. I would get a polyurethane bushing instead.

Overlander is exactly right here. I had an older version of them and they were great. I picked up a new set of their bumpstops when I bought this Jeep in Feb of 2014. They are , for lack of better words, rotting. They have holes on the foam and are discolored. I never had that issue with the older version. Also, I never trimmed any of the Daystar bumpstops I have used. I just smash them in between tire and they hold it in place really well. On that note, they do still do their job, but I will need to replace them again soon so I may just go with the OR Fab cage carrier now.

TeamFaust

I am running the Crawler Conceptz with a 37 mounted on it. Worked great on the Rubicon trail but I did weld a small post on the very top of the carrier to give the tire another stabilization point. I also modded the stock 3rd break light to fit on the post. The carrier is mounted to the body and attached to gate so opens and closes with the gate.

I am strongly considering the CC carrier, almost pulled the trigger on one earlier in the year when they were having a promo sale but the cash was tight.
So you added the upright section to provide a place for the top of the tire to rest against...looks like a good idea, pretty easy to graft on?
I've already relocated my lic plate and third brake light so the stock locations on those don't come into play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom