Oversized Spare Tire Carrier

I'm actually running with my newly mounted 37's on the factory carrier. I cut off the brake light post. Since I am still running the factory wheels (backspacing hasn't changed) and I don't have the rear bumper on anymore, it went right on and sucked down tight to the isolators. I may be playing with fire, but I typically don't get approval for mods until I absolutely HAVE to do it. Same goes for the tire carrier at this point :)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448477677.983918.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448477696.532878.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448477733.471705.jpg

If I'm still running like this next time I wheel, I'll likely put a drop hitch in upside down to try and give a little protection from dropping off ledges.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448477839.457461.jpg

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
http://www.smittybilt.ca/jeep-produ...ize-tire-caRearier-07-12-wrangler-jk-2-4door/

Anybody have any idea about this one? Someone said it would help with tailgate sagging I'm not really sure how...

I've been running this carrier with 35s for about three years. Bought it cheap from another Jeeper that changed to an aftermarket bumper with a swing out carrier. It does mount on the gate in the OE location, but has two square tubes that run from the bottom of the tire to the top and keep the tire from wobbling. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with my tailgate and it still opens as it did when the Jeep was new. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448595781.705565.jpg

BlackHawk08jk

I've been running the factory tire carrier with a 35 for almost 3 years now. I haven't had any issues. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448715956.911896.jpg
The only thing I did was cut the brake light off of it to get it out of my way.

rollover

Some people have problems when they use the factory one and some don't. I just can't take that chance and possibly have bigger problems.

lidless07X

I have the Teraflex adjustable tire mount but not the hinge. I have had the hinge in the past, but didn't feel like I needed it this time due to my current "build" being very simple/small.

I'm only running 33's so i wouldn't call mine "oversized" , but with aftermarket wheels and 4.5" of backspacing, I didn't like how far the tire sat away from the tailgate.

I had a hard time deciding to spend the $$ to move the tire in 1.5" knowing it is so much cheaper just to extend the rubber stabilizers.

JudeinPa

I've been running this carrier with 35s for about three years. Bought it cheap from another Jeeper that changed to an aftermarket bumper with a swing out carrier. It does mount on the gate in the OE location, but has two square tubes that run from the bottom of the tire to the top and keep the tire from wobbling. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with my tailgate and it still opens as it did when the Jeep was new. View attachment 175257

JEEPERKEEPER, is that a Bestop High Rock rear tire carrier?

TeamFaust

Great thread guys all comments are appreciated.as I am in the midst of trying to decide on rear tire carrier options. currently running Nitto MG 35x12.50-17 on OEM rims. Plan is to stick with 35's for one more go round then up to 37s. I am likely going to remove rear bumper and want the option to leave it off which is why looking at sand-alone carriers instead of bumpers w/carriers.

I have been nervous about mounting the heavy 35 to the stock tire carrier as don't want to cause tailgate damage when wheeling so was considering one of the HD Tailgate Hinge Tire carriers (RR Spartacus, TF, Tactik, etc.) ... from what I'm reading here sounds like I really don't need to bother and stock tailgate tire carrier should be just fine for the 35's (thus can hold off decision until 37s). With that said if anyone has experience with either tailgate damage problems or good/bad with the various hinge type carriers I'd like to hear. I'd be happy not to spend the $500 on this now to use for something else however if spending it now for some insurance and if needed later for 37s anyway I'm good to go that route. Thoughts/experience?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Great thread guys all comments are appreciated.as I am in the midst of trying to decide on rear tire carrier options. currently running Nitto MG 35x12.50-17 on OEM rims. Plan is to stick with 35's for one more go round then up to 37s. I am likely going to remove rear bumper and want the option to leave it off which is why looking at sand-alone carriers instead of bumpers w/carriers.

I have been nervous about mounting the heavy 35 to the stock tire carrier as don't want to cause tailgate damage when wheeling so was considering one of the HD Tailgate Hinge Tire carriers (RR Spartacus, TF, Tactik, etc.) ... from what I'm reading here sounds like I really don't need to bother and stock tailgate tire carrier should be just fine for the 35's (thus can hold off decision until 37s). With that said if anyone has experience with either tailgate damage problems or good/bad with the various hinge type carriers I'd like to hear. I'd be happy not to spend the $500 on this now to use for something else however if spending it now for some insurance and if needed later for 37s anyway I'm good to go that route. Thoughts/experience?

I would look into a Poison Spyder, Genright, or EVO one.

projectMMTB

I don't know about the other people running a stock carrier with a 35 or 37 but I had a 35 on the back and bent the tailgate slightly from wheeling. you have to baby it in my personal experience.
Maybe just bad luck for me.
But go with anything from poison spider, crawler conceptz, gen right, evo.
Can't go wrong with them and you won't regret it

jknikos

i have been running a 35 inch tire on my tailgate for 3 years now. If you wheel your rig hard i wouldn't reccomend anyone to do so. My tailgate's pivot ponits now have some enormous play and in 2 two days i am putting a new bumper with tire carrier on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't know about the other people running a stock carrier with a 35 or 37 but I had a 35 on the back and bent the tailgate slightly from wheeling. you have to baby it in my personal experience.
Maybe just bad luck for me.
But go with anything from poison spider, crawler conceptz, gen right, evo.
Can't go wrong with them and you won't regret it

You bent the tailgate because you either didn't have the tire pressed tight against it or you dropped off a ledge and hit it. Those are the two ways wheeling would bend it. It's not because the gate is weak.

Top Bottom