Overland & Underpaid a WJ story...

J&k_Overland

The web site for the axle skid said I may need spacers for the rear sway bar to fit the part. I figured that for the price, I would just go ahead and order them. Iron Rock has a lot of nice parts for WJ's and these were some of the nicest I've seen for spacers. They got here in about a week after ordering, so that was nice too. The actual heavy duty sway bar still shows a mid february ship date so that's still a bit of a wait.

View attachment 357907

I’ve gotten quite a few pieces from Iron Rock Offroad and been happy with all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Orange ya glad you got diff protection?

My front diff guard came in and, as expected there is a bit of a clearance issue. The tie rod will hit as it gets closer to the diff when you turn.
I was prepared though since I was going to a high steer conversion anyhow. I have the knuckle inserts for the tie rod and drag link ends to do the flip and there's a right hand drive rod end coming for the lower side of the drag link, so the curve is correct after it goes upside down. The tie rod should sit nicely above the guard when done.
I did this to the drag link on my JK and found it to be a really easy job. Also, the extra clearance is always helpful with steering components.
I dropped off the rear axle skid and had them match the orange color to the front guard. Hopefully that should be done in a few days. They think by the weekend.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I got the shaft.

The new front driveshaft with front and rear yokes got here today. I've always heard good things about Tom Woods, so I went with them.
Really nice work in terms of craftsmanship. Hopefully will get it installed this weekend.
It's getting there, and I hope to have it driveable by the end of February. The other few things I have in mind for it aren't required to get it on the road, but there are more projects.

0.jpg

This was funny, so I put it on for the hell of it.
0-1.jpg

The new front driveshaft with front and rear yokes got here today. I've always heard good things about Tom Woods, so I went with them.
Really nice work in terms of craftsmanship. Hopefully will get it installed this weekend.
It's getting there, and I hope to have it driveable by the end of February. The other few things I have in mind for it aren't required to get it on the road, but there are more projects.

View attachment 358334

This was funny, so I put it on for the hell of it.
View attachment 358335
Haha nice - everyone loves a good woody.

You're WJ has made me really like WJs lol! She's coming together! Any wheeling trips yet?

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Haha nice - everyone loves a good woody.

You're WJ has made me really like WJs lol! She's coming together! Any wheeling trips yet?

Thanks! Wheeling trips are a bit away, still have a lot of work to do. Luckily, This is just an extra vehicle and I don't have to hurry to get it on the (off) road. I want to make sure it's right since I'm doing almost everything myself.

That reminds me of the old Drop’em shirts from my mini truck days... ha!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

:thumb:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Wearing protection

Got the rear diff guard powdered and installed. It matches the front nicely. Did the high steer drag link and tierod flip, but still need to get the inserts welded. They said welding recommended, but it's not just recommended, its mandatory. The tie rod ends just spin and won't tighten even with a few tricks I know. Better to weld them anyhow.
I now have to put the stock pitman arm back on but I must have thrown it out because I can't find it anywhere LOL. I just ordered a new one, it was only about $22.00 so not that big a deal. And I have a drop bracket for the track bar coming as well. That will line up the bar and drag link good enough to deal with any possible bump steer.
The Front driveshaft is in and was really easy to do. Axle side yoke swapped out with no puller, but I did need one for the transfer case end. It popped right off with the tool.

Before the flip
IMG_0746.jpg

After the flip
IMG_0748.jpg

D44 Skid
IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Drive shaft installed
IMG_0752.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Got a few thing done. The good news is I have an appointment to get the alignment done along with welding for the tie rod and drag link sleeves. I have a transmission leak they are going to check out, pretty sure it's just the pan gasket seeping. Should be back on the road soon. :fingerscrossed:

Got the new stock pitman arm and the track bar drop bracket installed, so steering is done. Added a stubby antenna so I don't drag the stock one across the garage ceiling anymore.

Also got the exhaust figured out. It has a great sound with a nice rumble. I thought having it stop just before the axle with a side turnout would be best in terms of simplicity and being safely tucked up.

IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Got a few thing done. The good news is I have an appointment to get the alignment done along with welding for the tie rod and drag link sleeves. I have a transmission leak they are going to check out, pretty sure it's just the pan gasket seeping. Should be back on the road soon. :fingerscrossed:

Got the new stock pitman arm and the track bar drop bracket installed, so steering is done. Added a stubby antenna so I don't drag the stock one across the garage ceiling anymore.

Also got the exhaust figured out. It has a great sound with a nice rumble. I thought having it stop just before the axle with a side turnout would be best in terms of simplicity and being safely tucked up.

Looks great. What track bar bracket is that?

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Becoming quite a capable WJ. It's such a clean jeep too. Nice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, it is a really clean build

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Loving it man!

Thanks guys!

I just got it back from the shop yesterday. Had the high steer sleeves welded in and got it aligned. Also had them change the transfer case fluid and both diffs. The transmission leak was just a pan gasket, so that's done too.
I had replaced the valve cover gaskets a while back, but I must have pinched the driver side while installing that one, because my oil leak is coming from there. The good news is the driver side is the easy one.
Just ordered a pair of rock sliders today, so that's cool. And finally I am working on some hood decals this weekend. Hopefully those will look good.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Hood Stuff

Got the hood decals done the way I had envisioned them to be. I have seen on occasion other people do text down one side, be it on the hood itself or the windshield or whatever. I like that look and I think it works for this Jeep. Took it on a couple of really short trips around town just to make sure everything is right with the suspension. So far, so good.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I replaced all my D-rings with powder coated orange ones to match the diff protection. Just wanted a splash of color on this thing to make it interesting. Don't want to overdo it, so that's as much orange as it's going to get.

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

Top Bottom