Overland & Underpaid a WJ story...

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Rock out with your shock out!

The front shocks arrived today at least, so I swapped those in. Really excited to see how they perform when I can get it on the road.
One of the rears is supposed to show up tomorrow but it looks like the other one is getting pushed to backorder status. I'm being told if that ends up happening, it will be 10-12 weeks before I see it.
So that sucks... but I can live with it since I still have lots to do before driving it. Should be ordering the front driveshaft conversion from Tom Woods soon and losing the rzeppa joints on each end. So that's the next priority.
Still waiting for the HD rear sway bar. The order status on that is now a mid Feb. ship date. Latest Christmas present my wife ever got me LOL.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
That just looks bad ass! When’s the trail test?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Before it gets hot here, I hope! Once I am comfortable that there are no reliability issues we want to do a nice easy trip up to Crown King. I also want to get up to the Cinders in Flagstaff after it does warm up a bit.

This build is always got something new and cool happening. Nice!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, I'm happy so much is actually available for these Jeeps.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
More shocks

I went in to pick up the one rear shock that showed up on Friday. While there, I inquired about the other rear shock to see if it was still for sure going to be 10 to 12 weeks out from the mfg.
After doing a quick check, my sales guy found that two shocks in my part number had miraculously shown up at one of their stores in California that morning. He got a manager to approve a transfer immediately and tie one of them up so it couldn't be sold. They got it shipped over the weekend and it arrived today.
I was able to pick it up after work, and install it when I got home. So that's awesome!!

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

bleedsblue

I went in to pick up the one rear shock that showed up on Friday. While there, I inquired about the other rear shock to see if it was still for sure going to be 10 to 12 weeks out from the mfg.
After doing a quick check, my sales guy found that two shocks in my part number had miraculously shown up at one of their stores in California that morning. He got a manager to approve a transfer immediately and tie one of them up so it couldn't be sold. They got it shipped over the weekend and it arrived today.
I was able to pick it up after work, and install it when I got home. So that's awesome!!

View attachment 357730

View attachment 357731

View attachment 357732

Can I bug you for the part number on the rear shock you are using? My WJ is dang near a twin to yours. I already got the fox's up front but still need them on the back.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Can I bug you for the part number on the rear shock you are using? My WJ is dang near a twin to yours. I already got the fox's up front but still need them on the back.

Sure! The part number is 985-24-132. Extended length is 29.55, collapsed is 18.45.
My eye to eye is 23.5 so it was a good fit for me.
Bear in mind mine has a 6 inch lift, with a 4 inch you may need the 985-24-131 which is extended 26.35 and 16.75 collapsed.

Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
D44a Protection

I've done a bunch of reading on the D44 a axle along with WJCO's posts and comments about it. I know that is a good axle that should hold up for my needs just fine.
The one issue with it is the aluminum center section. Apparently, it can get pretty gouged up over rocks and in the case of a hard enough hit in the right spot, it can crack or shatter.
I found a company out of Colorado called Mountain Vista Fab that custom builds a really nice diff skid for the D44a. This thing is heavy duty. I don't mind a skid plate there as it hugs the diff really tight and only loses about 3/8 of an inch clearance.
For some, it's an issue. However, I can live with that, no problem.
I opted for the extra lip on the rear and the lower u-joint skid. They must have had one on the shelf because I got it in about 5 days. I will be ordering a small front diff guard from Purple Cranium and they have a long list of powder coat options. Once I decide on a color for that, I'll take the rear skid in to my local powder guy and have him match it.

IMG_0721.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I've done a bunch of reading on the D44 a axle along with WJCO's posts and comments about it. I know that is a good axle that should hold up for my needs just fine.
The one issue with it is the aluminum center section. Apparently, it can get pretty gouged up over rocks and in the case of a hard enough hit in the right spot, it can crack or shatter.
I found a company out of Colorado called Mountain Vista Fab that custom builds a really nice diff skid for the D44a. This thing is heavy duty. I don't mind a skid plate there as it hugs the diff really tight and only loses about 3/8 of an inch clearance.
For some, it's an issue. However, I can live with that, no problem.
I opted for the extra lip on the rear and the lower u-joint skid. They must have had one on the shelf because I got it in about 5 days. I will be ordering a small front diff guard from Purple Cranium and they have a long list of powder coat options. Once I decide on a color for that, I'll take the rear skid in to my local powder guy and have him match it.

View attachment 357835

It's a good skid. Out of all the spots I hit underneath, the rear diff skid has taken the most. A great purchase for playing on the rocks.

bleedsblue

Sure! The part number is 985-24-132. Extended length is 29.55, collapsed is 18.45.
My eye to eye is 23.5 so it was a good fit for me.
Bear in mind mine has a 6 inch lift, with a 4 inch you may need the 985-24-131 which is extended 26.35 and 16.75 collapsed.
Thank you much Sir. I have 6" Clayton springs in the mail already.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
The web site for the axle skid said I may need spacers for the rear sway bar to fit the part. I figured that for the price, I would just go ahead and order them. Iron Rock has a lot of nice parts for WJ's and these were some of the nicest I've seen for spacers. They got here in about a week after ordering, so that was nice too. The actual heavy duty sway bar still shows a mid february ship date so that's still a bit of a wait.

IMG_0723.jpg

Top Bottom