Oil Leak Around Axle Knuckle?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
If you have a bottle of gear oil in the garage, take a whiff, it's a distinct smell like others have said. That might help you figure out what type of fluid is leaking.

Hack12

If you have a bottle of gear oil in the garage, take a whiff, it's a distinct smell like others have said. That might help you figure out what type of fluid is leaking.

Thanks. I'm gonna be dropping it back off at the shop tomorrow so, in addition to replacing the axle seal, I'll have him check the possible brake fluid leak and flush the old nasty fluid with something a bit fresher!

Any other suggestions?? :thinking:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
To be honest, it's really not worth while to flush the brake fluid. In the 10+ years I've been in the automotive field, I've seen many vehicles with 200,000+ miles on them and the brake fluid had never been changed. I don't think there's any positive benefits to having it done. The blackish tint you see in the fluid is from metal on metal contact in the moving brake parts, calipers, wheel cylinders, etc.

Hack12

To be honest, it's really not worth while to flush the brake fluid. In the 10+ years I've been in the automotive field, I've seen many vehicles with 200,000+ miles on them and the brake fluid had never been changed. I don't think there's any positive benefits to having it done. The blackish tint you see in the fluid is from metal on metal contact in the moving brake parts, calipers, wheel cylinders, etc.

Oh, that's a bit of good news I suppose. :clap2:

HDGasser

Brake fluid and gear oil have 2 very distinct smells.

Gear oil STINKS!!

But I can tell you that if the shop that did your BJ's just let those heavy ass calipers hang from the hose they could have very well damaged the crimp and that's why it's leaking brake fluid now... If it is brake fluid.

Hack12

Gear oil STINKS!!

But I can tell you that if the shop that did your BJ's just let those heavy ass calipers hang from the hose they could have very well damaged the crimp and that's why it's leaking brake fluid now... If it is brake fluid.

I had the same thought. I can totally picture them just leaving the brake calipers hanging from the lines while they worked on the rotors and ball joints.

I can't stand leaving my Jeep with other people. I can only imagine the way they rush through things when it's about nothing more than time and money. :naw:

HDGasser

I had the same thought. I can totally picture them just leaving the brake calipers hanging from the lines while they worked on the rotors and ball joints.

I can't stand leaving my Jeep with other people. I can only imagine the way they rush through things when it's about nothing more than time and money. :naw:

Maybe it's time to start wrenching yourself...? I hate having shops work on my vehicles that's why I don't MOST of my own work.

It can get expensive buying tools but in the end it's REAL nice knowing something done the way you want and done right. Ok well hopefully right anyway lol

Learn, take lots of pictures, ask questions, don't be scared, and stay the hell away from the Snap On guy... He's the devil and his truck is a big black hole of debt!

JayKay

Caught the Bug

Gear oil STINKS!!

Hadn't thought about that! I guess I'm just so used to tying the calipers up out of the way when I'm doing brakes. Good possibility that this is what happened.

HDGasser

Hadn't thought about that! I guess I'm just so used to tying the calipers up out of the way when I'm doing brakes. Good possibility that this is what happened.

I've seen alotta people do it, I rig up a bunch of zip ties.

Once those rubber hoses get a few years old and start cracking then you wanna go hang 10-15 lbs of steel from em... No bueno.

Hack12

Maybe it's time to start wrenching yourself...? I hate having shops work on my vehicles that's why I don't MOST of my own work.

I couldn't agree more. This is the first vehicle that I've attempted to work on myself and I've actually been pleasently surprised with how well I've faired thus far. However, I'm still a bit hesitant to tackle some things without proper supervision. lol

It can get expensive buying tools but in the end it's REAL nice knowing something done the way you want and done right. Ok well hopefully right anyway lol

You're absolutely right. There is nothing like the peace of mind you get when you know a job has been done right because you were the one who did it!

Learn, take lots of pictures, ask questions, don't be scared, and stay the hell away from the Snap On guy... He's the devil and his truck is a big black hole of debt!

Hahaha, duely noted! :thumb:

Last edited:

Hack12

I've seen alotta people do it, I rig up a bunch of zip ties.

Once those rubber hoses get a few years old and start cracking then you wanna go hang 10-15 lbs of steel from em... No bueno.

Great point. I'm gonna check that out with him tomorrow. Last thing I need is my brakes going out on me! :eek:

Last edited:

Hack12

In the shop today and tomorrow...

He'll be replacing the shot axle seal, servicing the differential while it's apart, & checking the brake lines to the caliper.

Hopefully I'll be posting to this thread only once more!

HDGasser

In the shop today and tomorrow...

He'll be replacing the shot axle seal, servicing the differential while it's apart, & checking the brake lines to the caliper.

Hopefully I'll be posting to this thread only once more!

Awesome! Let us know how it turns out.

Hack12

Great news! Everything is fixed up nicely and there is no more gear oil leaking at all. Best of all, he didn't try to haggle a dime out of me for anything.

Thank you all for the help! :)

HDGasser

Good shit right there!

And also real good to basically cop to messin it up and fixing it with out much grief.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Good shit right there!

And also real good to basically cop to messin it up and fixing it with out much grief.

That's what a real shop does for you and that's what'll give them a good reputation for years to come! :thumb:

Top Bottom