Oil Leak Around Axle Knuckle?

JK12

It may be the plastic ring that was installed from factory on the axle shafts pushed into the seal. Check that. And replacing a seal is fairly easy just got to make sure to put stuff back where it came from

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This may be an incredibly stupid question but, is there any indicator (i.e. idiot light) or sign I should be looking for if my diff fluid gets too low?

I only ask because I may not have a chance to top it off until Monday.

Pull the fill plug and look. That's it.

Hack12

I brought it back this morning to the guys who did my ball joints. It's up on the lift now and they're determining whether the seal is shot or it's just residual gear oil from pulling the axle when the ball joints were done.

Fingers crossed that it's the latter. :)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I brought it back this morning to the guys who did my ball joints. It's up on the lift now and they're determining whether the seal is shot or it's just residual gear oil from pulling the axle when the ball joints were done.

Fingers crossed that it's the latter. :)

LOL! Is that their words? There should be no oil when the ball joints are done because there is no oil in the tubes in the front axle.

Hack12

LOL! Is that their words? There should be no oil when the ball joints are done because there is no oil in the tubes in the front axle.

Yeah, that's what I thought. He said he cleaned the area and has it tilted now and for the next two hours to see if any more will drain out. If so, then I'll bring it back on Saturday to have him replace the seal.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah, that's what I thought. He said he cleaned the area and has it tilted now and for the next two hours to see if any more will drain out. If so, then I'll bring it back on Saturday to have him replace the seal.

I would go to a different shop. Doesn't sound like they really know what they are doing.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I would say axle seal. Have you check the banjo bolt on your breaks to make sure that's not leaking? That could also be it but would certainly effect your braking if it's leaking.

Not sure why they would need to remove the brake hose from the caliper to replace pads, rotors, and ball joints :idontknow:

Hack12

So, looks like I'll be taking it somewhere else this week. I really wanted to have this guy fix his mistake for free, but at this point I'd rather have my rig fixed right than fixed cheap.

He told me that it seems to just be residual gear oil trapped in the axle and that he cleaned it all off. He then told me that it shouldn't leak anymore unless the seal is shot, which thanks to you guys, I already knew it was. Also, if I should get any more leakage, I should come back on Saturday and he'll replace the seal. No mention of how much, if anything, he will charge.

Long story short, before leaving I felt the knuckle and it was clean. As soon as I arrived home, after a 1.5 miles drive, the bottom portion of the knuckle was puddled with fluid again.

At this point, I just want the job done and done right. However, I am nervous at what I'll be charged. I called the dealership and they quoted me 6-7 hours of labor?!?! I mean, that sounds absolutely absurd! Do they employ quasi-intelligent monkeys or something??

Last edited:

mrmet1983

Hate to say it but this cud be caused by a bent front axle housing. Hopefully it's not bent but if it is that cud def be the cause for you leaks

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Hack12

Hate to say it but this cud be caused by a bent front axle housing. Hopefully it's not bent but if it is that cud def be the cause for you leaks

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Though I haven't done anything off the pavement that would lead me to believe I bent an axle, I would definitely buy into that theory if it wasn't so coincidental that a shop just pulled the axles to do my ball joints. Just seems like too much of a coincidence to ignore.

Any way of knowing whether or not I have a bent axle? I only ask because it certainly doesn't look bent.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While it very well could be a bent housing that is causing your leak, it's more than likely the seal just got nicked and damaged when they were re-installing the shaft. If they'll replace it for free, I would have them do it.

xflstl

Anytime you pull shafts there is a good chance of diff fluid getting in the tubes. Its done it to me everytime. Check fluid level daily, wipe any tube drainage up from inside the knuckles. Should stop leaking and remain dry after just a couple days. If not time for seals. Can also leak out the tubes if its been over filled.

Sent from my SCH-I605

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...Can also leak out the tubes if its been over filled.

Honestly, I can't say that I have ever seen that to be the case. Gear oil pumping out the breather for sure but never out the seals just because the diff was overfilled.

xflstl

Honestly, I can't say that I have ever seen that to be the case. Gear oil pumping out the breather for sure but never out the seals just because the diff was overfilled.

I had my gf's 2011 jku do if after putting in a aussie locker. It got over filled and leaked out the passenger tube until the level was down to about 1/8th of an inch below the fill plug. And your right it should blow it out the breather tube, however it didnt.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Hack12

While it very well could be a bent housing that is causing your leak, it's more than likely the seal just got nicked and damaged when they were re-installing the shaft. If they'll replace it for free, I would have them do it.

After getting very pricey quotes from a few local shops, I tend to agree! :)

Anytime you pull shafts there is a good chance of diff fluid getting in the tubes. Its done it to me everytime. Check fluid level daily, wipe any tube drainage up from inside the knuckles. Should stop leaking and remain dry after just a couple days. If not time for seals. Can also leak out the tubes if its been over filled.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on it over the next few days. Since it's already been leaking for a week or so, I would guess I'm probably going to need a new seal.

Yeah, that makes more sense to me too. I know he likely did overfill it since he mentioned it was only about a quarter of a quart low when he checked and that he filled it back up. However, as you mentioned, I can't imagine a working seal letting oil through because of that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had my gf's 2011 jku do if after putting in a aussie locker. It got over filled and leaked out the passenger tube until the level was down to about 1/8th of an inch below the fill plug. And your right it should blow it out the breather tube, however it didnt.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Did you ever bother to check the breather tube to see if may it was blocked or pinched?

Top Bottom