Oil Leak Around Axle Knuckle?

Hack12

Just had my rotors/pads and ball joints replaced last week and recently I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground next to my front driver's side tire.

As you can see in the pictures I've included, there is a decent amount of oil built up on the lower portion of the knuckle, on the topside and underside. The passenger's side is completely dry, it's just the driver's side that seems to be leaking oil.

My questions are:

1. Where might this oil be coming from?

2. Is it differential fluid?

3. Could the shop that changed the brakes and ball joints have caused the oil leak?

4. Possible solutions?

Photos:

Taken from the front of the Jeep:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033200.496539.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033210.196814.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033227.148500.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033240.126925.jpg

Taken from behind the axle under the driver's door:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033259.583566.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033318.730404.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033333.445010.jpg

Here is the oil:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396033377.945830.jpg

HDGasser

That my friend is what an axle seal taking a dump on you looks like.

When the shop pulled the axles to do the BJ's then there's either a chance the oil is what was in the tube (if your lucky) OR they buggered up the seal putting it back together.

My bet is they messed it up cause that a lot of oral.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would say axle seal. Have you check the banjo bolt on your breaks to make sure that's not leaking? That could also be it but would certainly effect your braking if it's leaking.

Hack12

That my friend is what an axle seal taking a dump on you looks like.

If the shop pulled the axles to do the BJ then there's either a chance the oil is what was in the tube (if your lucky) OR they buggered up the seal putting it back together.

Ugh, thank you for the quick response. I'd imagine the shop won't cop to the mistake even if they did make one reinstalling the axles.

Any idea on the cost of replacing an axle seal?

HDGasser

Ugh, thank you for the quick response. I'd imagine the shop won't cop to the mistake even if they did make one reinstalling the axles.

Any idea on the cost of replacing an axle seal?

Probably not.

If you do it yourself? Whatever the cost of the seal and a couple qts of gear oil is. Dealer/shop price is gonna be in the few hundreds I'd bet cause they gotta pull the carrier and install them from the inside.

Hack12

I would say axle seal. Have you check the banjo bolt on your breaks to make sure that's not leaking? That could also be it but would certainly effect your braking if it's leaking.

My first thought was brake fluid, seeing that they worked on the brakes, however, after further inspection, it is definitely oil.

It's not red like brake fluid, more clear, and has a thick/oily feeling.

Probably should have led with this question instead of assuming but, the banjo bolt you mentioned, is that holding brake fluid or oil?

HDGasser

I was gonna say if your local swing by with an 18pk and I got the tools.... Then I read the RI behind the riverside! :doh:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i just noticed i had the same thing last night in the same spot. i installed new shafts over the weekend and hope i didnt mess up the inner seal. i know i had some fluid in the axle tube, from removing the broken shaft and plugging it for a week and a half, so im hoping its just working its way out of the tube. i cleaned it up last night with a rag and brake cleaner to get it cleaned up really good. hopefully it doesnt leak anymore. if it does i have a bad seal. i hope you dont have one!

Hack12

You have to pull the whole diff to do it.

Probably not.

If you do it yourself? Whatever the cost of the seal and a couple qts of gear oil is. Dealer/shop price is gonna be in the few hundreds I'd bet cause they gotta pull the carrier and install them from the inside.

Gotcha. Thanks guys. I'm gonna try calling the shop I had it all done at last week and see if they'll cover it.

I can't imagine it wasn't them who cased it seeing as it was perfectly fine before they worked on it.

Hack12

If it is a broken seal and not just some oil working it's way out, how fast would you guys recommend I bring it back in to be looked at?

Is it safe to drive?

jeeeep

Hooked
If it is a broken seal and not just some oil working it's way out, how fast would you guys recommend I bring it back in to be looked at?

Is it safe to drive?

if it's leaking that much - and it looks like quit a bit, i'd check your diff level and see how much it takes to top it off then take it to them sooner than later.

That much leak and you'll damage your front diff if it runs dry

Hack12

if it's leaking that much - and it looks like quit a bit, i'd check your diff level and see how much it takes to top it off then take it to them sooner than later.

That much leak and you'll damage your front diff if it runs dry

Gotcha. Thanks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My first thought was brake fluid, seeing that they worked on the brakes, however, after further inspection, it is definitely oil.

It's not red like brake fluid, more clear, and has a thick/oily feeling.

Probably should have led with this question instead of assuming but, the banjo bolt you mentioned, is that holding brake fluid or oil?

The banjo bolt holds the brake line onto the caliper. It has two crush washer on it as well and they are supposed to be a one time use. If they didn't replace them that might be your issue.

My brake fluid is not red.

You can pull your shaft and check to see if there is fluid in the tube. If there isn't then you have another issue. But I would check the banjo bolt.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I had that same thing happen and it turned out that the axle seal was leaking. IS YOUR AXLE HOUSING BENT?? I didn't want to believe it but that's what happened with me the housing was bent and caused the seal to go bad.

Hack12

I had that same thing happen and it turned out that the axle seal was leaking. IS YOUR AXLE HOUSING BENT?? I didn't want to believe it but that's what happened with me the housing was bent and caused the seal to go bad.

I don't think it's bent, but I'm far from an expert. I would be willing to bet that the shop that did the ball joints and brakes screwed it up. Impossible to prove it seems.

My local dealership told me the seal itself will cost around $20 but it would be 6-7 hrs of labor. That sound right?

Hack12

The banjo bolt holds the brake line onto the caliper. It has two crush washer on it as well and they are supposed to be a one time use. If they didn't replace them that might be your issue.

My brake fluid is not red.

You can pull your shaft and check to see if there is fluid in the tube. If there isn't then you have another issue. But I would check the banjo bolt.

Ok cool. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work until 11pm and will then have to drive it home before I'll be able to get under there and check.

I hate waiting.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok cool. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work until 11pm and will then have to drive it home before I'll be able to get under there and check.

I hate waiting.

You need an inch pound torque wrench for the banjo bolt if you don't have one.

Hack12

This may be an incredibly stupid question but, is there any indicator (i.e. idiot light) or sign I should be looking for if my diff fluid gets too low?

I only ask because I may not have a chance to top it off until Monday.

Top Bottom