JKU soft or hard - your experience ?

Miramontes

My wife has the hard top and I have a soft top. They both have their pros and cons. It's nice having the hard top for long trips. After driving long trips with the hard top I find it more enjoyable. But the soft top makes it easier to take off whenever you like. You have to plan to take off the hard top.

ichthus

If they offer the Premium Soft Top in Europe as an option, that might be the best choice. IF it is the same as the new Bestop triple twill, then it's made to last a lifetime anyways (at least the Bestop has the warranty)

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I have both hard and soft tops. I have not had the hard top on since I bought the soft top. We go on adventures where we take the top off and leave it in the hotel room or condo to hit the trails. The hard top makes it really hard to do this, so we got the soft top. I am looking for the very best soft top, so if you have any suggestions, let me know! :yup:
I don’t ever see using the hard top again, so it is currently for sale.

Pavel9934S

just one question more (sorry) ;-)

when you order new jeep with hard top - do you have a soft top automatically while ??

Last edited:

ichthus

Here in the US it comes standard with a soft top, the Hard top is an option OR you can order both in a "dual top" option package. Only with Dual tops do you have both.

The soft top will store in the Jeep while using the Hard top, but it takes nearly ALL of the luggage area. You will need a place to store the extra top when not in use

LSM

I have both and use both. I use the hard top in the winter and the soft top in the spring/summer/fall.

If I could only get one, I would get the soft top simply to make going topless easier.

Well said! :thumb:

Hatewagon

We have both and we just put our hardtops up for sale. Even with our winters here the heater in the jk pumps out enough heat.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
We have both and we just put our hardtops up for sale. Even with our winters here the heater in the jk pumps out enough heat.

Thats the way to go! Im from Ohio and bought a cj7 when I turned 16 back in the day. Full canvas doors when its 4 degrees outside=full experience. It only got bad when your buddies stole your doors.

Last edited:

FeltsYouUp

I picked up my JK with the hard top. My old TJ was a soft top and it never bothered me too much during the winter, granted North Carolina winters aren't that bad compared to many other places. However, now that I have a hard top I really miss the ease of taking down the soft top. I also live in an apartment so finding a place to store the etire hard top hasn't been an option yet. :grayno:

Unlimited

I run a soft top at all times. Few reasons being its very easy to take off alone. Second being I did have a hard top and sold it due to the type of wheeling we do..... I would damage a HT. my soft top has gotten into a lot of trees, the ground, and rocks quite a few times. I've only had to patch it once right over the driver side seat. If was a hard top it would not survive. I don't mind a bit more road noise. Personally like the look more of the softtop too

FoxC

Soft top all year for me. I thought I would miss having a hard top but I havnt come to any situation where that worry would come true. Dont have to store a hard top anywhere and can drop the top on the trail anytime I like.

supra_launch21v

Both! That is the appeal of the Jeep! Hardtop has the removable tops. The soft top has the luxury of the flip back top or all the way off. If I HAD to choose between one or the other, soft top every time.

my_jk

Its hard to say I like the hard to for its safety from thieves, but I do really like the practicality of the soft top. I think your making a good choice going with the soft top I really enjoyed having one on my tj.

Last edited:

Sancho

Now half the battle is over .... You have to decide which soft top will work for you. I've had the factory soft top & like the old look that it has .... But just replaced it with the Trektop NX and so far like the looks but I haven't had it on long to see how they stand up to a road trip ie how-much room there is for packing.... But the tinted windows help a great deal. Over just plain . Hoping that the wind jammer and deck cover I bought last year will match up with the nx top I like that look too :)

Top Bottom