JKU soft or hard - your experience ?

Pavel9934S

Hey

please can you give me advices about experiences about softtop hardtop of JKU ??

Thanks..

Pavel

P.S. I think, i take Sahara (black) unlimited, automatic and petrol fuel 3,6 ..thanks guyes !!:thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have both and use both. I use the hard top in the winter and the soft top in the spring/summer/fall.

If I could only get one, I would get the soft top simply to make going topless easier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have always owned both but find that I never run the hard top. I've already sold one and will probably sell the other someday too. As mentioned, a soft top just makes going topless so much easier and, I prefer to run without a top whenever possible. Having said that, a hard top will make your Jeep a lot quieter and do a better job of insulating. If you don't think you'll be running topless that much, I might recommend that you go that route. At least you can remove the freedom top panels now. Also, a hard top will last the life of your Jeep, will provide much easier access to the back and come with rear window defrost and wiper. A soft top will have a shelf life and is something you should plan on replacing in the future.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
If I lived on the eastcoast it would be a hardtop all year around.

Living on the westcoast I prefer the soft top, even though its to damn hot to take the top off during the summer months driving to work:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Living on the westcoast I prefer the soft top, even though its to damn hot to take the top off during the summer months driving to work:crazyeyes:

You need a good bikini top. Keeping the sun off of you helps a lot. Well, unless you're up in the central valley or desert when it's 110°. But hell, we do it anyway :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You need a good bikini top. Keeping the sun off of you helps a lot. Well, unless you're up in the central valley or desert when it's 110°. But hell, we do it anyway :crazyeyes:

Or just make a sunscreen. It's so easy and inexpensive to do I'm really surprised so many people fork over the money for manufactured screens.

TwtPunk08JK

Seeing as how my jeep is still my Daily Driver I go for hard top. It's much quiter on the highway and stays warmer in the winter. It is a two man lift to take it off if you don't have a hoist installed in your garage. During the summer I usually end up taking my doors and freedom top off and leave the back part on. I do enjoy going entirely topless if I can, but not not frequent enough to go soft top.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I have a soft top all year round just cuz it makes it easier to take the top off and I have no space to store the hard top.

It's not too bad in 110 degree weather here in bako haha but I also had a mesh bikini top on... :crazyeyes:

Jeep4me2

JKRay brought up a good point, if you don't have a place to store your hardtop when it is off, a soft top is a good option as you don't have to leave it behind when you go topless.
If you have a place to store it I'd say get the hardtop; you can purchase an after market soft top later at a much cheaper price than the other way around. Plus you can always get a bikini top, or even make a screen top if the summers get hot enough out there in Switzerland.

Pavel9934S

i don't have enough place for a hard top...by the way ...hard top at home and coming rain - i think that is not very easy...i think i take soft top ...sahara 3,6 unlimited automatic transmission , black, soft top ...

JKRay brought up a good point, if you don't have a place to store your hardtop when it is off, a soft top is a good option as you don't have to leave it behind when you go topless.
If you have a place to store it I'd say get the hardtop; you can purchase an after market soft top later at a much cheaper price than the other way around. Plus you can always get a bikini top, or even make a screen top if the summers get hot enough out there in Switzerland.

daveroberts

Not sure this qualifies as a recommendation but I will add that I have never seen a soft top break. I have how ever seen a few nasty breaks on hard tops when someone made an error in judging the distance between their rig and a tree;) Could have had something to do with the amount of skinny pedal being applied at the time!

13JKUR

I've had both also (soft top on my '07 and now a hardtop on my '13) I prefer the softop for our lovely Wisconsin weather in the Summertime just because its easier to go topless. I have no problem storing my hardtop, its just kind of a pain to take off for only a day or two in between rainy days. I wished I would've gotten the dual tops for my '13. The hardtop is really nice for the winter time however.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I don't even have AC and I do it.;)

serielle

i don't have enough place for a hard top...by the way ...hard top at home and coming rain - i think that is not very easy...i think i take soft top ...sahara 3,6 unlimited automatic transmission , black, soft top ...

I do have both. But if I was in your situation and couldn't store the hard top, I would definitely choose the soft top. Good choice!

Jersey_Devil

I have both the hard freedom top and I HAD a factory sunrider soft top, now I have the bestop Trektop NX Frameless top I love all three I just like the frameless look better so I got that for summer and the hardtop for winter!

Serg5000

Mine only came with a hard top. This last summer i purchased a soft top. It was awesome for going topless fast. The hard top is a must in winter. It gets as low as 10*.

Attachments

• image-778082993.jpg
    image-778082993.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 119

07tungsten

I love my soft top! Yes I am in San Diego...but I had soft tops on my old Jeeps in the Midwest and wouldn't do it any other way. It's all about preference--the heater works great so don't worry about getting cold. Yes it's a bit louder I imagine but it's a Jeep and it doesn't bother me. Good luck!!

Top Bottom