It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby!

I was wondering about a California Rules reguarding matching numbers of motor. When I was stationed out there many years ago I thought there was something about either Manufacture matching number and it matching year of motor and chassis. That's why I figured most people install a Hemi.
When I finally tired out my 3.8 I'm doing a 5.3 or a 6.2 in my 2 door.

That's awesome! Glad to see you went with MoTech. I rode in one of their JKs in Vegas once when I was up there for a weekend. No lights on the dash whatsoever. Granted it was a stock height JK Rubi on stock tires, he said they were in the 22-23mpg range. It also had the 6L80E and shifted like a DREAM. best auto I've experienced from GM. Heck maybe even Ford and Chrysler for that matter. I'm looking at doing the same swap on my next JK build, with an LS3. I can't wait to see how the new setup performs in Moby!

We had debated this as well but, from what I understand, the L94 is essentially the truck version of the LS3 which is more what you would find in something like a Corvette. The later has more HP but the L94 has more torque. Regarding MPG, I hear that as well and look forward to some improvement in what we've been seen over the last few years on our 3.8L. :yup:

Your getting old Eddie. I can read between the lines. ;)

You cut me deep my friend :crazyeyes:

Does that 6.2 have Active Fuel Management (GM speak for cylinder de-activation). If yes, will it be fully functional with the Mo Tech kit?

oh yeah, congrats. consider me green with envy.:icon_crazy:

As a matter of fact, AFM is available but, from what we're told by MoTech, it won't make that much of a difference with a Jeep as big and heavy as what we have. Still, the motor should be more fuel efficient regardless. :yup:

Eddie and Cindy,
When I was over ther last year you told me to come back and wheel the Rubicon with you guys, Damn, let me know when Moby is ready to go and I'll book the ticket, I wanna wheel Rubicon in the baddest freeken JK on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We cannot build anything like that over here so I'm going to have live my dreams through you guys.

We definitely need to get you out on the Rubicon with us :yup:

I think the Oh's are trying to keep up with the Wade's.....

:cheesy: I don't think we'll ever catch up but, there is some truth in what you are saying. We wheel with the Wades quite a bit and it has been hard to keep up with them.

Congrats on the new power plant for Moby!!! Just curious, what are driving until Moby gets finished???

Oh, we still have Rubicat, our 2012 dozer JK :yup:

Hahaha right? We are really going to struggle trying to caravan now!

Are you trying to suggest I drive fast? I've been running 40x15.50's on Slabs that weigh almost 200 lbs. a piece mounted on super heavy ProRock 60's and all with the 3.8L motor - it should be impossible for me to drive fast. :crazyeyes:

Really happy to see you are going to do this!

Thanks Greg. We really struggled with this one and Jim just about had us convinced to get a HEMI. I had even called up a shop he recommended to get the ball rolling but of course, Cindy really wanted to go LS, you posted up high praises for it and Mel pretty much sealed the deal. :crazyeyes:

Congrats!!
Looking forward to the finished product! :beer:

Thank you and me too. It's gonna cost a chunk of change to do but, I think it'll be worth it.

I was wondering about a California Rules reguarding matching numbers of motor. When I was stationed out there many years ago I thought there was something about either Manufacture matching number and it matching year of motor and chassis. That's why I figured most people install a Hemi.

From what we understand, our Jeep just needs to be 8 years old or have over 80,000 miles on it (we have over 100,000) and the motor needs to be from CA and newer than what we have. So long as we can show at a referee station that we have all the emissions equipment and required components to be CA smog legal, we should be good to go.

From what we understand, our Jeep just needs to be 8 years old or have over 80,000 miles on it (we have over 100,000) and the motor needs to be from CA and newer than what we have. So long as we can show at a referee station that we have all the emissions equipment and required components to be CA smog legal, we should be good to go.

Thanks for the info, I have a fellow Californian jeeper that will be happy to get this info.

Are you trying to suggest I drive fast? it should be impossible for me to drive fast. :crazyeyes:

Eddie, a man much wiser than me said, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog...
AND I've driven behind you in a caravan... You drive the speed limit for sure. ;)

We own a 2011 Yukon Denali...that motor is very powerful!

Your Jeep will be sick!!!!!!!!!!

I have towed my SRT8 Jeep behind the Denali....The motor didn't even notice it was back there!

Great choice in motor, Hope it all comes together as planned and no gremlins surface!

:rock:

Congratulations guys! Moby will really be a WALE of a Jeep when you get done :eek::clap2:

migaloo_1433927c.jpg

Moby vs Jeep on 37s :thumb:

When doing a motor swap in Cali, the engine needs to be a CA motor, from a newer vehicle than the vehicle your putting the motor in. It needs to have all the factory smog equipment and wiring. And it needs to be from the same vehicle class. I'm in the process of building my CJ and I'm doing a v8 swap on it. So I talked to a smog ref and that's what he told me.

When doing a motor swap in Cali, the engine needs to be a CA motor, from a newer vehicle than the vehicle your putting the motor in. It needs to have all the factory smog equipment and wiring. And it needs to be from the same vehicle class. I'm in the process of building my CJ and I'm doing a v8 swap on it. So I talked to a smog ref and that's what he told me.

Yeah I'm fortunate enough not have to worry abut that living in Minnesota but my friend is from California so is his 2007 unlimited and he want to make sure if he ever does move back that when he does a motor swap he has no worries. Thanks again for the info.

1: This is crazy ... Here in TN They just have a clip board with boxes that state " Does the vehicle have an engine?" "Does the vehicle have air in the tires?" And " Does the Driver have a Open Beer in the cup holder" Then your good to go! :clap2:

2: Congrats on the new additions! I am very eager to see how it comes out ... PLEASE for the love of everything holy in this world get some videos of Moby up as soon as its done, can't wait to see it in action! :shock:

3: What do you put in your wifes coffee that makes her support your builds so much?;) .... If I buy 20$ grab handles ... I get comfy in the dog house lol.:doh:

1: This is crazy ... Here in TN They just have a clip board with boxes that state " Does the vehicle have an engine?" "Does the vehicle have air in the tires?" And " Does the Driver have a Open Beer in the cup holder" Then your good to go! :clap2:

2: Congrats on the new additions! I am very eager to see how it comes out ... PLEASE for the love of everything holy in this world get some videos of Moby up as soon as its done, can't wait to see it in action! :shock:

3: What do you put in your wifes coffee that makes her support your builds so much?;) .... If I buy 20$ grab handles ... I get comfy in the dog house lol.:doh:

I'm not sure if Wayalife makes videos or not so the chances of seeing on are probably slim to none. ;)

And your wife has to drive the jeep on the road and on a trail to fall in love with it.

You need to regulate. Get your balls out of her purse and start running the show man. When she talks smack about jeep stuff put HER in the dog house.:yup:

Edit. Unless you are ugly and have no game cuz you will be screwed

So if Moby is getting new wheels and Tires due to the axle sway, is Rubicat getting Moby's 40's to go with the 60s!?

If I were you. I would build a bigger dog house and just move in. Then you could hook your rig up!

If I were you. I would build a bigger dog house and just move in. Then you could hook your rig up!

:cheesy: Done! thats my new plan ... Overall she will come around, she is just not use to buying a Jeep and then spending a bunch of money to make it your own... Come to think about it she hasnt driven it offroad .... maybe this weekend I can change her mind .... :brows:

Edit: Her father was a GM Employee for 35 yrs who only drove Cadillacs his entire life, so Jeep Life is all foreign to her...

Last edited:
:cheesy: Done! thats my new plan ... Overall she will come around, she is just not use to buying a car and then spending a bunch of money to make it your own... Come to think about it she hasnt driven it offroad .... maybe this weekend I can change her mind .... :brows:

Happy to help man. My girl likes to navigate. She really isn't into driving off road. Most the time she gets us lost but that's become have the fun. But as long as she enjoys being outdoors I don't mind being lost.

Top Bottom