It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

Great work Eddie and ORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's probably one of the sickest JK's (or will be)....on the planet!

Couple of questions, but please don't take this observations wrong...I've built a few rigs over 40+ years

How much room from the noise of the WP to the radiator, I'm hoping their will be more room for a larger elect fan.

Why did you use that style of trans cooler...they just don't cool as well as a stacked plate cooler of the same size. Size for size a stacked plate cooler will get you 30-40* cooler.

Don't you think having the weight of the cooler and the plastic pin mounts will end up causing issues down the road especially for off road usage vs. a mount? Plastic gets brittle and also will end up eating the Aluminum tubes of the rad.

You elected not to use a engine oil cooler or didn't the 6.2 have that provision?

Couple of questions, but please don't take this observations wrong...I've built a few rigs over 40+ years

How much room from the noise of the WP to the radiator, I'm hoping their will be more room for a larger elect fan.

Why did you use that style of trans cooler...they just don't cool as well as a stacked plate cooler of the same size. Size for size a stacked plate cooler will get you 30-40* cooler.

Don't you think having the weight of the cooler and the plastic pin mounts will end up causing issues down the road especially for off road usage vs. a mount? Plastic gets brittle and also will end up eating the Aluminum tubes of the rad.

You elected not to use a engine oil cooler or didn't the 6.2 have that provision?

LOL!! It's all good, I'm just a noob who doesn't know much of anything when it comes to building up a rig. To answer your questions:

There is no room between the WP and the larger Griffon radiator we installed. A larger electric fan would not be possible to install or, not that I could see.

Regarding the trans cooler, you're talking to a guy who's ALWAYS run manuals in the past. While I can drive an auto, building one up is by no means a specialty of mine and I just went with what I could find. I had assumed that I would learn as I go and, by the sound of things, I may have to make a few changes down the road.

As far as an engine oil cooler goes, the 6.2L did come with that provision and we had considered running one. However, we wanted to get the motor started before we headed up to Tahoe for the month and decided to skip it for now. Being that the MoTech kit didn't recommend the use of one, we figured it wasn't really necessary. Of course, if it turns out that one is, we will address it at that time. :yup:

Funny you mentioned that! I saw that cooler and the mounting tabs and I assumed it was a placeholder or temporary set-up just to facilitate the engine installation process. I agree that a larger stacked cooler will be far more efficient for that transmission. Obviously I don't have empirical evidence, but the currently installed cooler appears to be less efficient than the factory Mopar cooler installed with the 2012 and later 3.6 autos.

And do yourself a favor and find a better mounting method for whichever cooler you install. I know from experience that those plastic retainers will slowly file away at your radiator core and condenser coils, which in turn will end up creating additional costly problems. I'd hate to see four cheap plastic mounting pins destroy your expensive custom Griffin radiator.

Funny you mentioned that! I saw that cooler and the mounting tabs and I assumed it was a placeholder or temporary set-up just to facilitate the engine installation process. I agree that a larger stacked cooler will be far more efficient for that transmission. Obviously I don't have empirical evidence, but the currently installed cooler appears to be less efficient than the factory Mopar cooler installed with the 2012 and later 3.6 autos.

And do yourself a favor and find a better mounting method for whichever cooler you install. I know from experience that those plastic retainers will slowly file away at your radiator core and condenser coils, which in turn will end up creating additional costly problems. I'd hate to see four cheap plastic mounting pins destroy your expensive custom Griffin radiator.

Well, I appreciate the concerns and the advice. We are currently up in Tahoe hiking and wheeling for the month and perhaps we'll have to give this another look once we get back :yup:

Can not wait to see Moby back in action with that Hemi!! How long till Supersized Moby makes it's YouTube debut on the rocks ?

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

Can not wait to see Moby back in action with that Hemi!! How long till Supersized Moby makes it's YouTube debut on the rocks ?

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

Hard to say for sure but, we're hoping to be wheeling it by August.

Here is a option...cheap as heck, used stock 7.3 SD trans cooler.

I know Robbie doesn't use the engine oil cooler but I'm planning on making it work when I get the LC9 in.

I was hopping something like the Taurus fan would fit...something than can flow more air and more waterproof.
I'm using the larger Radiator also.

IMG_0673.jpg

Hard to say for sure but, we're hoping to be wheeling it by August.

This is going to be Epic !! You should have Moby drive through one of those banners that players run through at a college football game lol that would be a great start to the video lol

View attachment 25171

Yup, you guessed it.... the time has finally come to give Moby a little boost in power! We weren't planning on it but, with all the headaches we've been having with our transmission, we decided to stop throwing money at it, take the plunge and do a motor swap... but not a HEMI. After a lot of research, we decided to go with an GM LS 6.2L V8 (L94) and 6L80 automatic transmission using the MoTech LS kit with a heavy duty radiator. We hope to run this with a 3:1 Atlas 2-speed and brand new Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle to soak up all the additional power. This thread has been started to document the process of our Jeep JK Wrangler LS swap and we hope that you'll enjoy the build. :cool:

View attachment 34877

THE PLAN:
  • LS 6.2L V8 (L94)
  • 6L80 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
  • MoTech LS Basic Kit
  • Heavy Duty Radiator
  • Advance Adapters 3:1 Atlas 2-speed Transfer Case
  • Dynatrac ProRock 80 Rear Axle
  • ATX Slab Bead Lock Wheels
  • NITTO 40x13.50 K-Spec Trail Grapplers

LS SWAP UPDATES:

THE PROCESS:

THE PARTS:

THE COST:
(so far - not including tax or shipping)
LS-cost.png

VIDEOS:

Let the SUPERSIZING Begin : Short Timelapse Video of Moby's LS Swap

Just for fun, here are the listed horsepower and torque numbers for a stock Jeep JK Wrangler 3.8L V6 and 3.6L V6 Pentastar motor compared to a 6.2L V8 motor:

Jeep JK Wrangler - 3.8L V6
205 hp @ 5,200 rpm
240 ft-lbs. @ 4,000 rpm

Jeep JK Wrangler - 3.6L V6
285 hp @ 6400 rpm
260 ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm

GM Vortec L94 - 6.2L V8
403 hp @ 5700 rpm
417 lb-ft @ 4300 rpm

Time to Start Shopping
First on our list was to find a used LS engine/transmission from a 2007+ Silverado, Yukon or Escalade. From what we were told, it would also have to be from a truck/SUV that was a 4WD. After doing some searching, we finally found what we were looking for, a 2011 Yukon Denali 4WD 6.2L motor and transmission and if you can believe it, it only had 12,000 miles on it! Here are a few pics of it at the junkyard we found it at:

main.php

main.php

After checking it out, we agreed it was too good to pass up and so, we went ahead and bought it. :) As you can see, it is now sitting at Off Road Evolution with Moby just waiting for more parts to show up!

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

We've got more parts on order and will be posting them up as they come in. Be sure to check back for updates :cool:

Thanks a lot Eddie!

Every Yukon or Tahoe I pass makes me say "Donor Vehicle!" :D

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Wayalife mobile

Damn straight!! :cheesy:

I talked to MoTech about this and they recommended mounting it on the side of the steering column but, I may have to consider what Turnkey is going to do for Moochie.

Yes, this was an option and one we had considered.

Or why not have the only jeep in the world with Paddle Shifters!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :rock:

You can use the '11 up shifter's tap shift..

Robbie can mod it, that's what he's doing to mine.
I have a '07 so I bought a junk yard console '11 up to fit the shifter.

You could do paddle shift but IMO not worth the effort or the cost.

Top Bottom