In The Shop - Disciple Off Road

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I really miss the old days. A time when the only way you heard or found out about new products were from magazines and for that to happen, the company in question typically had to buy an ad. But, at least at that point, the writer of the article was someone who knew Jeeps and could give a review of it from an educated standpoint. Albeit, a lot of times the information was biased (like everything), you could still get solid nuggets of information from it and then, people could take it to places like a forum to discuss further.

Today, everything that's trendy is only so due to "influencers" on social media. Never mind that most of these people are new to Jeeps - if you have the subs or can sell it with sex, it instantly becomes all the rage. And really, that's a shame or at least, to me anyway.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I really miss the old days. A time when the only way you heard or found out about new products were from magazines and for that to happen, the company in question typically had to buy an ad. But, at least at that point, the writer of the article was someone who knew Jeeps and could give a review of it from an educated standpoint. Albeit, a lot of times the information was biased (like everything), you could still get solid nuggets of information from it and then, people could take it to places like a forum to discuss further.

Today, everything that's trendy is only so due to "influencers" on social media. Never mind that most of these people are new to Jeeps - if you have the subs or can sell it with sex, it instantly becomes all the rage. And really, that's a shame or at least, to me anyway.
Couldn’t agree more.

kevman65

Hooked

Today, everything that's trendy is only so due to "influencers" on social media. Never mind that most of these people are new to JeeptUbers - if you have the subs or can sell it with sex, it instantly becomes all the rage. And really, that's a shame or at least, to me anyway.

It's funny, when I first got the JT I was watching videos all over UtUber trying to learn this, that, and the other. It didn't take me long to realize that the people were pushing the product and not really giving in depth info on the work they were doing.

Then I ran across this guy named Ed something or other and yes, he was promoting the product he was installing, but I'll be damned he was actually doing and showing his work. Plus he was talking to me (camera) in such a way that he wasn't being demeaning or belittling. Explaining what tools to use and when so that those people who are NOT mechanically inclined and should have their tool boxes welded shut, can understand what to do.

Are you an influencer? Yes. Are you a pompous ass that's just trying to get views to make more money? You don't come across that way.

Do you give new products an honest shot when you get them? It appears so, but I have noted there are some things and products you want nothing to do with, and that's your right.

But yeah, just because you can make something new, doesn't mean you should.

Spazbyt

Hooked
If bolting the axle C and knuckles together with a sleeve is all you have to do then you could drastically reduce the size of both the C and knuckle. Closing that gap would seem to strengthen everything significantly.

PM me Dynatrac and we can talk about my royalty fees.

Jeeper99

So we finally had the chance to install a set of the ball joint deletes on a JT which I’ve been kinda waiting for if not to only see what they were all about as they seem to be a popular topic or question I get asked. I also wanted to see the install process and really, how they feel on the road as most daily drive their Jeeps.

After confirming which ones went where, the install process of pressing in the cups/bearing was way easy as you don’t have to deal with a stud while pressing them. Other than that, it’s literally a shank you slide in with some seals, washers and a spacer.

I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet but will update with my opinion and thoughts on that. Here are some quick pics I took and yes, that gap on the upper is supposed to be there lol.

View attachment 378865

View attachment 378866

Overall, I don’t get the hype but would say the only real benefit I can see is the ease of rebuilding them. With that said…..

My main concerns is that if that bottom nut comes off for whatever reason, the sud/shank can literally just push up and out. There is nothing retaining it on the top end. This could especially be really bad for the lower if it got pushed up into a spinning u-joint.

Think this guy experienced this….

View attachment 378867

I found an installation on a JL where it looks completely different...more along the lines of what we would expect.

Top Bottom