Garage Organization - Inspiration or pitfalls

TrailHunter

Hooked
I was thinking the same thing. Gives me hope as I have a lot shit.

The open uppers you and Kirk have are a cool idea. Up and out of the way.
You can clean up the uppers with containersā€¦ I built most of them 16ā€ Deep and tall enough to fit a bucket.. or Rubbermaid style trays. My ceiling is 9ā€™ tall also.. and a step stool is all you need for reaching the higher items. Basically Rip a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 Plywood 3 times to make the box sides and shelvesā€¦ 1/2ā€ ply for the back panel.. screw them together and screw it to the wall.. each box has adjustable shelves using basic Home Depot tracks at each end so you can add, or move shelves as needed.

Just to be clear though, everything in the main area is mine. I built the garage with a large attic storage and a pull down ladderā€¦ thats where the wifes shit and house overflow goes. That crap isnt allowed in my shop area. šŸ˜¬

My garage needs a medic! But I am only there three weeks at a time. The whole house sits on top of it so no chance of moving walls around, or anything like that.

Planning to build a heavy duty work bench from lumber, paint the ceiling (!!!), repaint stairs, and replace lights. Then start from there.

JAGS

Hooked
You can clean up the uppers with containersā€¦ I built most of them 16ā€ Deep and tall enough to fit a bucket.. or Rubbermaid style trays. My ceiling is 9ā€™ tall also.. and a step stool is all you need for reaching the higher items. Basically Rip a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 Plywood 3 times to make the box sides and shelvesā€¦ 1/2ā€ ply for the back panel.. screw them together and screw it to the wall.. each box has adjustable shelves using basic Home Depot tracks at each end so you can add, or move shelves as needed.

Just to be clear though, everything in the main area is mine. I built the garage with a large attic storage and a pull down ladderā€¦ thats where the wifes shit and house overflow goes. That crap isnt allowed in my shop area. šŸ˜¬

Im not sure how weā€™ve compiled so much stuff, but it seems to be everywhere. Need to do a good spring cleaning! lol.

We have attic storage in the garage with a pull down ladder as well. Thatā€™s where 95% of the Christmas stuff is. My other storage space just isnā€™t practical anymore and thus the search for ideas.

Breer

Caught the Bug
Starting point... I painted the walls on this past trip. The other garages I see here look like a doctor's office!

I like this layout a lot! Have a friend who used to have a similar layout, just a smaller "shop space." It worked out really well I thought. A separate space for tools, equipment, and working was very nice. He had a tubing bender and welding table in the middle of the separate space surrounded by toolboxes and other stuff. Then his jeep was in the center of the "garage space" and it worked really well.

jesse3638

Hooked
Im not sure how weā€™ve compiled so much stuff, but it seems to be everywhere. Need to do a good spring cleaning! lol.

We have attic storage in the garage with a pull down ladder as well. Thatā€™s where 95% of the Christmas stuff is. My other storage space just isnā€™t practical anymore and thus the search for ideas.
I've started getting rid of things we don't use or haven't touched in a year. Storing all my parents things though is taking up a lot of space. Just can't bring myself to get rid of it yet. Plus I'm not even sure how to.

Timing on this thread is perfect!!

Cabinets - I have a wall of the Kobalt metal cabinets that I am going to be selling off. I ended up buying the Milwaukee Pack thing and found a way to place most of my tools in there. Only need to get rid of some excess paint and other crap to finally get rid of them.

Cabinets are great, but I am trying to go for that sterile hospital look with only a few things left..... lawn mower, floor jacks, tool pack, bar, TV, small couch.... :)

We are looking into reducing the footprint of our hot water heater from a 60 gallon tank to a tankless. Luckily, we have a 240 volt connection to our existing one so the cost to change is much less. This will add some small sq footage by removing the concrete pedestal and giving me a corner to put something in.

Right now, looks like our bikes will be my biggest waste of space and I need to find a solution for them.

I like this layout a lot! Have a friend who used to have a similar layout, just a smaller "shop space." It worked out really well I thought. A separate space for tools, equipment, and working was very nice. He had a tubing bender and welding table in the middle of the separate space surrounded by toolboxes and other stuff. Then his jeep was in the center of the "garage space" and it worked really well.
I like the garage a lot except that the garage door is the minimum width for a "2 car" garage, and the spot where I park my 2-door JL would just barely fit a 4-door JL. Parking was traditionally not a priority in the Arizona mountains, and many people park their cars outside with just a metal car-port.

And to think that the realtor picked up that I wanted a three car garage, and showed us magnificent homes with a three car garage (a couple were even pull-through). But I was really attracted to this unique house before even visiting it.

TrailHunter

Hooked

I feel your pain. Iā€™d throw 75% of our shit away if my wife would let me.

jeeeep

Hooked
Timing on this thread is perfect!!

Cabinets - I have a wall of the Kobalt metal cabinets that I am going to be selling off. I ended up buying the Milwaukee Pack thing and found a way to place most of my tools in there. Only need to get rid of some excess paint and other crap to finally get rid of them.

Cabinets are great, but I am trying to go for that sterile hospital look with only a few things left..... lawn mower, floor jacks, tool pack, bar, TV, small couch.... :)

We are looking into reducing the footprint of our hot water heater from a 60 gallon tank to a tankless. Luckily, we have a 240 volt connection to our existing one so the cost to change is much less. This will add some small sq footage by removing the concrete pedestal and giving me a corner to put something in.

Right now, looks like our bikes will be my biggest waste of space and I need to find a solution for them.
The last house my brother-in-law had (their kids were still teens, and all had bikes) he cut out a couple of the joists, boxed them in and built enclosures in the attic with pulleys so the bikes would disappear up into their "bike caves", it was a great idea and no more running into hanging bikes.

JAGS

Hooked
I've started getting rid of things we don't use or haven't touched in a year. Storing all my parents things though is taking up a lot of space. Just can't bring myself to get rid of it yet. Plus I'm not even sure how to.
Yeah. I went through some old bins in one of the rafter shelves. All full of old family heirlooms and the like. Forgot that was there. Donā€™t need to get to it, but likely not getting rid of it either.

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah. I went through some old bins in one of the rafter shelves. All full of old family heirlooms and the like. Forgot that was there. Donā€™t need to get to it, but likely not getting rid of it either.
Yeah I built a high shelf on my garage wall with all that stuff. I put it up there and haven't touched it. I do need to sort through it and probably consolidate. Get rid of the things I thought I wanted after my mom passed but I don't really need or will ever use

Top Bottom