Garage Organization - Inspiration or pitfalls

JAGS

Hooked
Thought this is applicable to many of us, whether you work on cars, jeeps or just your normal house projects. Aside from a few who might have a 10-car garage (you know who you are - LOL), I’m working to better organize my modest 3-car space. I have some built ins that have been here forever. Also have a bunch of hodge podge cabinets, and ceiling shelves.

Looking for some inspiration to get my garage more organized and also looking for what NOT to do. I can’t figure out if I want more open shelving, rolling carts/cabinets or maybe something else I haven’t thought of. Budget friendly is always a plus. Creative ideas also a plus.

Figured why not ask here as others can share or get inspired for updates too.

Sharing my sad built ins (here since 2005 when we moved in) and a mess of a wall. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_8196.jpeg
    IMG_8196.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8198.jpeg
    IMG_8198.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8199.jpeg
    IMG_8199.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 23

WJCO

Meme King
I've done a few garages and even re-did a couple after when I wasn't happy. A few tips I think make garages look great but also functional.

1) epoxy floor.
2) bright lighting.
3) plenty of empty drywall (so it doesn't look crammed).
4) get everything off the floor. If you're doing cabinets, hang them no lower than a foot off of the floor (so you can see underneath them). I think anything that needs to be in the garage, when put away in a tool box or cabinet looks way cleaner than pegboard.
5) tall baseboard (like 4-6 inches) looks really clean.

Just my thoughts.

There's this thread, too: https://www.wayalife.com/threads/lets-see-your-work-shop-or-garage.13241/

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
one thing I'll be doing once I convert my garage back to a garage, is changing the door to a jackshaft / high lift garage door.

I haven't priced out a jackshaft/roller door option but that would be my first choice to free up the ceiling for better use.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
We had a bunch of custom cabinets in our old place. It was useful but was a bit much. Also had the overhead storage racks

I can’t find a picture on my phone right now. Have too many. I’ll get one.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I'm weird in I like Large open High Shelves... No Doors... But organized so I can see everything I have. Down low I like Tough work benches you can hammer on ... with open shelving or no shelving below to store larger items with easy access. Building everything out of 3/4 Plywood, 2x4's and 4x4's lets you customize things exactly how you want it. Then of course a couple rollaways for small Tools... and a good rolling cart for mobile work. I still need to build a Steel welding Bench I can roll around... I'm not into the fancy cabinets... but that's just me. I like that Old School Machine Shop Feel... Organized Chaos.

IMG_4804.JPG IMG_4806.JPG

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I've done a few garages and even re-did a couple after when I wasn't happy. A few tips I think make garages look great but also functional.

1) epoxy floor.
2) bright lighting.
4) get everything off the floor. If you're doing cabinets, hang them no lower than a foot off of the floor (so you can see underneath them). I think anything that needs to be in the garage, when put away in a tool box or cabinet looks way cleaner than pegboard.

Just my thoughts.

There's this thread, too: https://www.wayalife.com/threads/lets-see-your-work-shop-or-garage.13241/
Thanks for the feedback. I search thread titles for garage and that one didn’t pop up. Thanks for the link. 2013, so I clearly forgot about it. Ha ha.

JAGS

Hooked
I'm weird in I like Large open High Shelves... No Doors... But organized so I can see everything I have. Down low I like Tough work benches you can hammer on ... with open shelving or no shelving below to store larger items with easy access. Building everything out of 3/4 Plywood, 2x4's and 4x4's lets you customize things exactly how you want it. Then of course a couple rollaways for small Tools... and a good rolling cart for mobile work. I still need to build a Steel welding Bench I can roll around... I'm not into the fancy cabinets... but that's just me. I like that Old School Machine Shop Feel... Organized Chaos.

View attachment 402546 View attachment 402547
Didn’t think about custom building with basic lumbar. Customizable and likely cheaper than store bought. Something I’ll keep in mind for sure. 👍

benatc1

Hooked
I actually just redid my garage, 3 car and I flipped the lay out and reorganized everything, which should allow for a good work space and accommodate our workout space, have used ceiling storage for awhile, I have 10 foot ceilings so no issues there. I redid the lights with linkable LEDs from Amazon, so the place glows like you wouldn’t believe. I still have have a few extra things in here still like a range for kitchen remodel and a bunch of shit my wife needs to put away, but set up the tool box side and turned my big work bench into a rolling work station with saws, build in dust system and and power. Looking fwd to the day we move and I have more space and a shop, but this we’ll certainly do for now. IMG_7205.jpeg IMG_7206.jpeg IMG_7207.jpeg

JAGS

Hooked
I actually just redid my garage, 3 car and I flipped the lay out and reorganized everything, which should allow for a good work space and accommodate our workout space, have used ceiling storage for awhile, I have 10 foot ceilings so no issues there. I redid the lights with linkable LEDs from Amazon, so the place glows like you wouldn’t believe. I still have have a few extra things in here still like a range for kitchen remodel and a bunch of shit my wife needs to put away, but set up the tool box side and turned my big work bench into a rolling work station with saws, build in dust system and and power. Looking fwd to the day we move and I have more space and a shop, but this we’ll certainly do for now. View attachment 402552 View attachment 402553 View attachment 402554
I have 9 ft ceilings. Still enough for some overhead shelves. I have four and they are full. Thinking about those overhead tub glide storage rail things (whatever you call them…with the yellow lids). Any issues with those?

WJCO

Meme King

For how much you have, that's pretty damn organized.

benatc1

Hooked
I have 9 ft ceilings. Still enough for some overhead shelves. I have four and they are full. Thinking about those overhead tub glide storage rail things (whatever you call them…with the yellow lids). Any issues with those?
I actually love those things, they are a bit of a dick to install if no other reason than it’s all above your head, just make sure you really plan out your storage layout as you have to take do each bin in front to get to the ones in the back. They were kinda expensive but def worth it for me, I should have just built some

Breer

Caught the Bug

1) epoxy floor.
2) bright lighting.

Just my thoughts.

Similar here. My previous garage wasn't as deep as current one so I had tool boxes/cabinets/workbenches on the sides. In my current garage, I started with that same setup and found I wasn't using all of the space so I have moved everything around again. I am probably going to flip flop the cabinets to the other side once the JK is moved out though, finding that I'd rather have the strorage as far away from the entry door as possible. I also have laundry and my son's bike and all to keep in the space.

Couldnt agree more about the cabinets and getting them off the floor. I am usually very particular about not having anything under them but I am running out of room at the moment so a bunch of scrap steel has been stored under there for now. Also the lighting.. When we bought the hose I added six 6" can lights and that wasnt enough. Up to six 8" cans and 2 6" cans and its much better but I'd still like more. I put the cans closer to the walls to hopefully get some light under the jeep and while it has helped some, when your working its not much different since you just get a shadow...

A year or so ago.
PXL_20210208_233322519~2.jpg
Fairly recent PXL_20230918_185850574~2.jpg
PXL_20231117_194053025~2.jpg

JAGS

Hooked

For how much you have, that's pretty damn organized.
I was thinking the same thing. Gives me hope as I have a lot shit.
This was before the drawers were finished.

View attachment 402564
The open uppers you and Kirk have are a cool idea. Up and out of the way.

JAGS

Hooked
I actually love those things, they are a bit of a dick to install if no other reason than it’s all above your head, just make sure you really plan out your storage layout as you have to take do each bin in front to get to the ones in the back. They were kinda expensive but def worth it for me, I should have just built some
Thinking might be a solid option for seasonal decorations and other stuff we only need a couple times a year.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I was thinking the same thing. Gives me hope as I have a lot shit.

The open uppers you and Kirk have are a cool idea. Up and out of the way.
I doubt I’ll put them in the new garage. I think they are too tall and hard to access stuff. You out stuff up there then forget about it.

JAGS

Hooked
I doubt I’ll put them in the new garage. I think they are too tall and hard to access stuff. You out stuff up there then forget about it.
How big will your new garage be? Haven’t caught the last few updates. Working from a blank canvas will be awesome for a garage space. What’s the new plan for storage?

Top Bottom