Dyantrac ProRock 80 - Skip the ARB

kevman65

Hooked
Doesn't your buddy at Disciple have a set of ARB's getting ready to go into a ride?

If so he can give you dimensions of the O-rings.

duktrx

Pape Machinery has a location close, they deal with CAT, John Deer, and the other big equipment brands.

1255 Spice Island Drive Sparks, NV 89431

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I called a local shop, one that I have liked working with and trusted in the past and asked if replacing an o-ring on an ARB locker was something they could do. When the gal who answered said yes, I made sure to point out that I had a Dynatrac ProRock 80 and to make sure it wouldn't be a problem. She made a note of it and let me know that it wouldn't be a problem. Well, figuring this would be just as easy to do, I took Moby in to have them to do the work.

Yesterday, I got a call saying that there was a problem - multiple problems really. First, they told me that my compressor wouldn't shut off - that it just ran and ran and the only way to turn it off was to pull the fuse. They said that I had a bad switch but that they were able to fix it. Thinking this was stupid but, okay, I didn't give to much thought about it. Second, they said that my front locker didn't work but that they suspected that I had a bad solenoid and it was at this point that I had to interrupt and remind them that the reason why I brought my Jeep in is because my rear locker had an internal leak and that turning on the switch would cause the compressor to run and run. They said they understood this and before they went on, I interrupted again and explained that the front locker ONLY works when the rear is on. Surprised to hear this, they let me know that this is how things are wired from ARB but that none of their customers do that but they would take note of it. With that, I was told that parts would be in yesterday and that they would get things fixed.

Well, today I get a call early in the morning to let me know there's a new problem. Apparently, the gal I spoke with thought I said I had a ProRock 60. Needless to say, the o-rings and seal kit they got wasn't going to work and calling around, they couldn't find shit anywhere. In fact, the only things they could find were from ARB's with a build date of June 2014 and later. DUH! This is exactly why I called them to see if they could work on a ProRock 80! Anyway, I let them know I had o-rings (the ones I had ordered last week) and that could bring it out to them and so all should be good. And, after dropping them off, they let me know that they could probably have Moby finished up in a couple of ours. Wonderful! Or, so I thought...

About an hour ago, I got a call from the shop and it was to let me know there was good news and bad news. The good news was that the o-rings I brought worked out great. And, before they got to the bad news, they asked if I might have a new seal kit too? When I heard this, I asked why they would need it if the o-rings worked out. Well, it turns out they broke the fuckin copper air tube that connects to it. Of course, they were originally tryin to play it off like it was always broken but then, I reminded them that I just checked it and it was there and fine before I bought my Jeep in. To this, they stammered a bit and admitted that they were the ones who broke it but that it was a common thing and easy to do just by working on things. A bit pissed now but still willing to take a deep breath and blow it off so long as they could replace it, they then explained that they've called ARB and everywhere they could and one just doesn't exists or at least, not for an ARB as old as mine. Hence, why they were asking if I had one.

As things stand right now, the shop is going to try and braze the copper tube back onto the seal housing and hope that'll get things working again. If it doesn't, I'll be shit out of luck. The only real option from there is to have a new and current ARB locker installed or just not have a rear locker anymore. And no, there are no other locker options available for the ProRock 80 or at least, that I could find. The whole thing just sucks and really, shame on me for not just doing the work myself.

Anyway, just thought I'd share how my week and lovely day has been going so far 🤪

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So, I called a local shop, one that I have liked working with and trusted in the past and asked if replacing an o-ring on an ARB locker was something they could do. When the gal who answered said yes, I made sure to point out that I had a Dynatrac ProRock 80 and to make sure it wouldn't be a problem. She made a note of it and let me know that it wouldn't be a problem. Well, figuring this would be just as easy to do, I took Moby in to have them to do the work.

Yesterday, I got a call saying that there was a problem - multiple problems really. First, they told me that my compressor wouldn't shut off - that it just ran and ran and the only way to turn it off was to pull the fuse. They said that I had a bad switch but that they were able to fix it. Thinking this was stupid but, okay, I didn't give to much thought about it. Second, they said that my front locker didn't work but that they suspected that I had a bad solenoid and it was at this point that I had to interrupt and remind them that the reason why I brought my Jeep in is because my rear locker had an internal leak and that turning on the switch would cause the compressor to run and run. They said they understood this and before they went on, I interrupted again and explained that the front locker ONLY works when the rear is on. Surprised to hear this, they let me know that this is how things are wired from ARB but that none of their customers do that but they would take note of it. With that, I was told that parts would be in yesterday and that they would get things fixed.

Well, today I get a call early in the morning to let me know there's a new problem. Apparently, the gal I spoke with thought I said I had a ProRock 60. Needless to say, the o-rings and seal kit they got wasn't going to work and calling around, they couldn't find shit anywhere. In fact, the only things they could find were from ARB's with a build date of June 2014 and later. DUH! This is exactly why I called them to see if they could work on a ProRock 80! Anyway, I let them know I had o-rings (the ones I had ordered last week) and that could bring it out to them and so all should be good. And, after dropping them off, they let me know that they could probably have Moby finished up in a couple of ours. Wonderful! Or, so I thought...

About an hour ago, I got a call from the shop and it was to let me know there was good news and bad news. The good news was that the o-rings I brought worked out great. And, before they got to the bad news, they asked if I might have a new seal kit too? When I heard this, I asked why they would need it if the o-rings worked out. Well, it turns out they broke the fuckin copper air tube that connects to it. Of course, they were originally tryin to play it off like it was always broken but then, I reminded them that I just checked it and it was there and fine before I bought my Jeep in. To this, they stammered a bit and admitted that they were the ones who broke it but that it was a common thing and easy to do just by working on things. A bit pissed now but still willing to take a deep breath and blow it off so long as they could replace it, they then explained that they've called ARB and everywhere they could and one just doesn't exists or at least, not for an ARB as old as mine. Hence, why they were asking if I had one.

As things stand right now, the shop is going to try and braze the copper tube back onto the seal housing and hope that'll get things working again. If it doesn't, I'll be shit out of luck. The only real option from there is to have a new and current ARB locker installed or just not have a rear locker anymore. And no, there are no other locker options available for the ProRock 80 or at least, that I could find. The whole thing just sucks and really, shame on me for not just doing the work myself.

Anyway, just thought I'd share how my week and lovely day has been going so far 🤪
Jesus. What happened to the days of quality shops?

WJCO

Meme King
What a pain in the ass. No listening skills by people these days. If they'd worked on ARBs before, they'd know how careful they have to be with that seal housing. I really hope they're able to braze it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jesus. What happened to the days of quality shops?
I don't know, it's been really really frustrating and I've been trying really hard to be calm and patient with them. Granted, this is the Fallon branch and not the one in Sparks that I normally use. I just went to them because they had an opening but have used them in the past without any issues.

The real insult to injury is that I asked how much they were in to this and they said about 5 hours. Like, WTF??? I'm out to pay $500 or more to have them break my shit and return my Jeep back to me in worse shape than I brought it into them? The whole thing is one big fuckin mistake on my behalf.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't know, it's been really really frustrating and I've been trying really hard to be calm and patient with them. Granted, this is the Fallon branch and not the one in Sparks that I normally use. I just went to them because they had an opening but have used them in the past without any issues.

The real insult to injury is that I asked how much they were in to this and they said about 5 hours. Like, WTF??? I'm out to pay $500 or more to have them break my shit and return my Jeep back to me in worse shape than I brought it into them? The whole thing is one big fuckin mistake on my behalf.
Having money to pay people to fix your shit is a blessing and a curse.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a pain in the ass. No listening skills by people these days. If they'd worked on ARBs before, they'd know how careful they have to be with that seal housing. I really hope they're able to braze it.
The listening skills thing is a big part of what I having a hard time with. I SPECIFICALLY made sure to explain to them, in GREAT DETAIL, that I do not have a factory axle and that it was a custom Dynatrac ProRock 80 - that this was very important to know. And, at the time, the gal I spoke with acknowledged that this was important information and that they would be able to do this. It is the only reason why I took Moby in.

As far as the break goes, I totally get that the copper tube is delicate but like you said, THEY should have known this as well and taken greater care NOT to break it. Guess we'll find out tomorrow if they were able to make the fix.

JWasko

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a monkey trying to screw a football. For everything they fix, they jack something up and have to fix that, rinse and repeat. Frustrating to say the least finding a place to trust to do a job right the first time.

benatc1

Hooked
Man, that’s a bummer, hopefully they can get it straightened out. Be really shitty to be stuck with a broken locker that’s their fault. In assuming a new locker would fit in that housing through right? I’m sure they aren’t cheap but hopefully available at least.

waynem

Starting to look more and more like a curse. I can do this shit but I don't want to spend all my time doing it. I've got a lot of other things I'd rather be doing and I just wish I could rely on people to do good work. I'd be more than happy to pay a premium for it.
It's a plot ... the universe is conspiring to tell you to dump Moby and go all in on the 392. It needs new axles anyway .... I'm sure Mel would be happy to build a custom DTD Evolever setup for you..... Just Empty Every Pocket :ROFLMAO:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Mines getting about the same right now. Although, I did think there was an E locker option. I’ve personally never seen it though. It’s definitely getting tougher to get the “older“ more unique items worked on.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Starting to look more and more like a curse. I can do this shit but I don't want to spend all my time doing it. I've got a lot of other things I'd rather be doing and I just wish I could rely on people to do good work. I'd be more than happy to pay a premium for it.

This type of stuff drives me crazy. I hate when a business tells me they can do something and it turns out they cannot- and then things just spiral downward from there.

It would be so cool if they were honest and just told you they can’t do it from the start.

Maybe this is why I have have trust issues? 🤔

🤣😂

Hope you can get it resolved. If not we can always do a Saloon tour!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that’s a bummer, hopefully they can get it straightened out. Be really shitty to be stuck with a broken locker that’s their fault. In assuming a new locker would fit in that housing through right? I’m sure they aren’t cheap but hopefully available at least.
Oh yeah, ARB makes a new locker that will fit and it costs about $1400. Of course, there's installation and would be like setting up new gears so there's significant labor costs on top of that. Even if they can fix the line, I'll most likely have to go that route someday anyway being that it'd be the only way to get repair/replacement parts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mines getting about the same right now. Although, I did think there was an E locker option. I’ve personally never seen it though. It’s definitely getting tougher to get the “older“ more unique items worked on.
Eaton does make an e-locker for the 80 but so far as I could find, it was only for a 35 spline. If your ARB was made after June 2014, you should be able to get parts for it.

Top Bottom