Dyantrac ProRock 80 - Skip the ARB

kevman65

Hooked
Yeah, as mentioned, I don't plan on taking things apart just to see what was done. Maybe if we were talking about a PR60 but on a PR80, it's just not that simple.
As I said, by the description I thought we were talking the outside connection to the diff housing. After seeing the pictures of where the copper tube is then no, it's a complete disassembly to get the ring out that needs the work.

Once cleaned up, it can be repaired. Either at the steel on the ring or the copper tube. A coupling and Sil-Fos 15 and about a minute and the tube is reattached. But yes, total disassembly would be a pain.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - so, I started looking through the email that the shop got from ARB and to see what all I would need to order to make what I have work. AND, this is what I found.

seal housing bracket - $21
case - $439
flange cap kit - $529
seal housing kit - $88

Yup, over one thousand dollars worth of parts - essentially, most of what you need to make up the whole fricken locker! Might as well just buy a new one with everything assembled and ready to go for $400 more :rolleyes:

So completely stupid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
AND... I just called the shop to see how things were going and wouldn't you know, they aren't. They said all looked good on the bench but after reinstalling the locker and testing it out in the diff, the damn thing was leaking again and right at the repair. 🤦‍♂️

I told them to just button things up and that I'll be coming by to pick up my Jeep.

Gotta love wasting time and money to have a shop make things worse.

benatc1

Hooked
Ugh sorry to hear that man that totally sucks, but I agree you should just get the new locker at this point, certainly not that simple but at least you’ll be “up to date” and have a new locker not a “rebuilt one”

WJCO

Meme King
AND... I just called the shop to see how things were going and wouldn't you know, they aren't. They said all looked good on the bench but after reinstalling the locker and testing it out in the diff, the damn thing was leaking again and right at the repair. 🤦‍♂️

I told them to just button things up and that I'll be coming by to pick up my Jeep.

I'm sorry, man. What a pain. I had a feeling their repair wasn't going to hold. You could probably have a plumbing shop braze it but then you'd still have to take it apart. What a mess.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh sorry to hear that man that totally sucks, but I agree you should just get the new locker at this point, certainly not that simple but at least you’ll be “up to date” and have a new locker not a “rebuilt one”
And, if I were to have this shop do the work, there would be labor on top of that too. Yeah... no.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry, man. What a pain. I had a feeling their repair wasn't going to hold. You could probably have a plumbing shop braze it but then you'd still have to take it apart. What a mess.
At this point and time, I think I'll just order up a new locker and call it a day. I was just hoping to get Moby running at full capacity for summer but it looks like that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Damn that sucks. I'm sure they are going to charge to too which is even worse.

Dale72

Hooked

Sounds just like my luck

GP NOIR

Hooked

If they'd known what they were doing, they would have realized the epoxy needed to be placed on the the pressure side of the tube, the side the pressure is on. As that's on the inside of the tube, it would be very difficult to do.

I feel for ya. I was gonna gripe about my axle seal leaking, but your problem makes mine look like a nuthinburger.

Top Bottom