Dyantrac ProRock 80 - Skip the ARB

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This type of stuff drives me crazy. I hate when a business tells me they can do something and it turns out they cannot- and then things just spiral downward from there.

It would be so cool if they were honest and just told you they can’t do it from the start.

Maybe this is why I have have trust issues? 🤔

🤣😂

Hope you can get it resolved. If not we can always do a Saloon tour!
The whole thing is stupid. If things weren't already taken apart and I didn't have to pay for what work (or lack thereof) had been done, I would have just picked up Moby and called it a day. And, to be honest, I almost did anyway but figured, I had the o-rings and that's all they needed, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Fixed or not fixed, Moby will be fine running whatever. At least he still has 4WD and a front locker. We got him to finish up much harder terrain with just a front axle LOL

Last edited:

kevman65

Hooked
When you can, shoot a picture of the copper tubing connection in question.

I ain't no 4x4 mechanic, but I am a steamfitter and do know a little something about pipe and tubing and schtuff.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you can, shoot a picture of the copper tubing connection in question.

I ain't no 4x4 mechanic, but I am a steamfitter and do know a little something about pipe and tubing and schtuff.
Sorry, it's at the shop and I am not. I'm sure it can be fixed but not sure if these guys are the ones who can do it.

kevman65

Hooked
Sorry, it's at the shop and I am not. I'm sure it can be fixed but not sure if these guys are the ones who can do it.
That's why I said when you can.

I have the feeling it's a flared piece of copper that passes through a double O-ring seal inside of a body that threads into the differential housing.
If so, it's an easy fix with just a brake line flaring tool, which I bet you have somewhere in your unheated garage.......

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I have the feeling it's a flared piece of copper that passes through a double O-ring seal inside of a body that threads into the differential housing.
If so, it's an easy fix with just a brake line flaring tool, which I bet you have somewhere in your unheated garage.......
I don’t think when he gets it back he is going to tear it all apart again.

kevman65

Hooked
Shouldn't have to tear it all apart for this. Yes you lose diff lube, but nothing else should have to come out as the air line should be clear of all internal moving parts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Shouldn't have to tear it all apart for this. Yes you lose diff lube, but nothing else should have to come out as the air line should be clear of all internal moving parts.
Oh I’m aware as to where it is. Like I said, I don’t think he wants to tear it all apart. Saying it’s just a diff cover is clearly someone who has never removed a PR80 diff cover.

kevman65

Hooked
Oh I’m aware as to where it is. Like I said, I don’t think he wants to tear it all apart. Saying it’s just a diff cover is clearly someone who has never removed a PR80 diff cover.
You're right, but I imagine it's much easier than removing a diff cover on a Peterbilt semi, but as I've stated before I'm not a 4x4 mechanic.

It's only difficult if you let it be difficult.

kevman65

Hooked
Even David Blaine couldn't fix it with just the diff cover off. Needs carrier removed.

View attachment 391005

Okay, since you're showing me these pictures, it's broken at the internal end. Not knowing the setup I figured it was the outer side.

The best picture I can get of the ring with air connection, if there is any copper above the brazed steel part in the ring, they can braze a coupling in. So should be able to save it. But so far their skill level sounds to be low.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Even David Blaine couldn't fix it with just the diff cover off. Needs carrier removed.

View attachment 391005
Yeah, as mentioned, I don't plan on taking things apart just to see what was done. Maybe if we were talking about a PR60 but on a PR80, it's just not that simple.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing worse than telling someone something explicitly because you know it could be a problem, and then having them not retain the information. Especially someone you are paying to perform a service.

I’m not perfect, but damn, that’s frustrating.
Shit like this IS the reason why I started to learn how to work on my own Jeep years and years ago :rolleyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update. I got a call from the shop yesterday and they said they used some epoxy to reattach the line and for the most part, it seemed to work or at least, on the bench. They said there was still a small leak and that they were going to try to add more but that the curing time was something like 4 hours so they wouldn't have Moby ready until the next day at the soonest. In the mean time, they said they finally got a chance to talk to someone at ARB and apparently, there is a way to build a new seal housing that will work with our discontinued locker. Albeit, some of the parts are backordered but they are still being made. In any case, I got them to give me the part numbers and I'll be ordering them up so when this thing goes to shit again... because you know it will, I can just replace it.

Hoping all is good and that we can pick Moby up today.

Top Bottom