Dyantrac ProRock 80 - Skip the ARB

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have to say that I really hate the ARB in our Dynatrac PR80. Very early on, it started leaking air from inside the differential. I tried to make sure to always run dino fluid as is recommended and have had the o-rings replaced more than once and the leak just kept coming back. But, as annoying as hell as it was to have the compressor run on and off and on again, at least the locker would work when it did. Just recently, that on and off and on again turned into a solid ON and after giving things a closer look, I found that the locker will NOT engage when this happens. It'll try to engage but then it'll let go. And, while the simple answer is to just replace the friken o-rings again, and I say friken because it's a major PITA, I've found that it's either been discontinued or just really really hard to come by these days. Just about every vendor out there says they'll "drop ship" from ARB once they become available but that might be as much as 2 months out. While I'm sure I'll find or figure something out but this whole thing has been such a pain in the ass, I'd have to say to SKIP THE ARB if you're thinking about getting a PR80! And, I should note, I have run ARB's for years and have always loved them but this one or at least, on this particular axle is a total dud.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some real world experience with the hopes of helping others out. ✌️

EDIT : I've looked and don't think the PR80 is available with anything other than an ARB :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I've heard that from everyone I know that runs ARB lockers save one guy who's a mechanic and did them himself. Then when I talk to axle manufacturers, they push the ARB lockers hard and suggest that it's all about the installation. Dynatrac salesman gave me a 30 min lecture on why I should order ARB lockers rather than E-Lockers, although there seem to be very limited options for E-Lockers in larger axles, especially if you go 40 spline. I know about 40 real life Jeep friends and only 1 is happy with ARB. All the rest say never again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I have been running ARBs in multiple Jeeps for well over 20 years now and me personally, I have always found them to work well. They are what I have been recommending all that time and just because of it. Hell, the ARB I have in my PR60 still works great and leak free and even after 15 years of use. So to that, I'd have to agree that a LOT of the problems associated with ARB's come from installation error or the use of their lame plastic air lines. Of course, I say all this to qualify the fact that I TYPICALLY think ARB is a good product - just NOT on a PR80.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've heard that from everyone I know that runs ARB lockers save one guy who's a mechanic and did them himself. Then when I talk to axle manufacturers, they push the ARB lockers hard and suggest that it's all about the installation. Dynatrac salesman gave me a 30 min lecture on why I should order ARB lockers rather than E-Lockers, although there seem to be very limited options for E-Lockers in larger axles, especially if you go 40 spline. I know about 40 real life Jeep friends and only 1 is happy with ARB. All the rest say never again.
Yeah as Eddie said it’s not an issue with all ARB’s. Seems to just be in the PR80 for whatever reason. I had the same issue on my silver Jeep.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
So I have to say that I'm really hate the ARB in our Dynatrac PR80. Very early on, it started leaking air from inside the differential. I tried to make sure to always run dino fluid as is recommended and have had the o-rings replaced more than once and the leak just kept coming back. And, as annoying as hell as it was to have the compressor run on and off and on again, at least the locker would work when it did. Just recently, that on and off and on again turned into a solid ON and after giving things a closer look, I found that the locker will NOT engage when this happens. It'll try to engage but then it'll let go. And, while the simple answer is to just replace the friken o-rings again, and I say friken because it's a major PITA, I've found that it's either been discontinued or just really really hard to come by these days. Just about every vendor out there says they'll "drop ship" from ARB once they become available but that might be as much as 2 months out. While I'm sure I'll find or figure something out but this whole thing has been such a pain in the ass, I'd have to say to SKIP THE ARB if you're thinking about getting a PR80! And, I should note, I have run ARB's for years and have always loved them but this one or at least, on this particular axle is a total dud.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some real world experience with the hopes of helping others out. ✌️

Mine leaks also!
It’s weird though because sometimes it leaks more than other times. 🤔
Not sure what the deal is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mine leaks also!
Such a bummer. I was really hoping they'd have a fix for this by now :rolleyes:

I think after driving around and having the fluid (especially if it's heavy gear oil) get all over the seal, it' helps to keep air in longer. At least, that's what I was seeing early on. But, after a while - Bbrrrrrrrpp!

Breer

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I have been running ARBs in multiple Jeeps for well over 20 years now and me personally, I have always found them to work well. They are what I have been recommending all that time and just because of it. Hell, the ARB I have in my PR60 still works great and leak free and even after 15 years of use. So to that, I'd have to agree that a LOT of the problems associated with ARB's come from installation error or the use of their lame plastic air lines. Of course, I say all this to qualify the fact that I TYPICALLY think ARB is a good product - just NOT on a PR80.
Yeah as Eddie said it’s not an issue with all ARB’s. Seems to just be in the PR80 for whatever reason. I had the same issue on my silver Jeep.

Got worried for a minute. Switched last minute to ARB's over the Eaton's on my PR60. Good information though for future plans, hopefully they correct the issue. 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Measure your O-rings, then find a CAT supply house and give them the dimensions. Probably be cheaper too.
Yeah, as soon as I get them in, I was thinking about doing something like that. CAT Supply? Do they have a website or do I need to find a location to visit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got worried for a minute. Switched last minute to ARB's over the Eaton's on my PR60. Good information though for future plans, hopefully they correct the issue. 👍
LOL - sorry about that. Yeah, this is a PR80 specific issue. Never had a problem with my PR60, even after 15 years of use and abuse.

Dale72

Hooked
Yeah, as soon as I get them in, I was thinking about doing something like that. CAT Supply? Do they have a website or do I need to find a location to visit?
Probably be better to go to a local cat dealer. Or any heavy equipment dealer.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I think after driving around and having the fluid (especially if it's heavy gear oil) get all over the seal, it' helps to keep air in longer. At least, that's what I was seeing early on. But, after a while - Bbrrrrrrrpp!
I had one on a 44 doing the same thing, intermittent. I assume the same. In my opinion, somehow the viscosity of the oil would make it work sometimes or at least partially work and other times not. Ultimately had to change the seal. PITA.

kevman65

Hooked
Don't know about a web site, they had a place about 1/2 mile from the house until they moved their whole operation, shops and all.

CAT, Caterpillar Implements. You wouldn't believe the O-rings they carry for their equipment.

Just looked at their website, need to find a dealer.

Top Bottom