Detailing your jeep

jesse3638

Hooked
The torque 10fx is the same machine I have and it works really well. I think it's too slow, not powerful enough, and has a short throw for professionals as time is money.

I've never used a cleaning brush. I just rinse them out with water then put a dot of soap on it and rinse it put thoroughly like you would a sponge. I'll then put it back on the machine to spin out the excess water. Then I'll set it in the sun to dry. The concern I have with using it before its dry is that it will fling water and polish all over. It may dilute the polish and change its effectiveness also.

With regards to the pin stripes I'd start with the lightest polish that works. Think of polish as sand paper. The higher the number the finer the grit. Say if 220 works for your woodworking project you're not going go want to use 60 as you'll have to work your way back to 220 and create more work for yourself. Also when you polish your actually removing micro layers of clear coat or paint. The more aggressive the polish the more it'll remove.

Holograms look like spiralling 3D swirls on the paint. They are more noticable in dark paints. They are usually caused by a rotary polisher with heavier polish. You have to take finer and finer polish to remove them. Typically a dual action polisher like the 10fx won't create holograms, but I'd still be careful. If you google it you can probably find a good example. I think The Chemical Guys have a video on how to remove them.

I'm far from a pro, but these are some of the things I've learned through experience. The key is patience. Set aside several hours for a full paint correction. When I've done it it's usually about 5 to 6 steps but so worth it. I've listed them below.

1. Thoroughly wash and dry.
*If its been recently waxed you'll need go use a wax remover before proceeding*
2. Clay the entire vehicle. Base your clay selection on the severity of contamination. Heavy clays will remove heavy contaminants much faster but will mar the paint and require polishing after.
3. Select polish based on severity of paint correction required. Use only as aggressive polish needed to remove swirls and pin stripes. Severe paint correction may require 2 to 3 polishing steps.
4. Seal the paint with a product like Jet Seal.
5. Wax the vehicle with the wax of choice.

This is why good mobile detailers charge $300+ for a full paint correction. It can take 4-6 hours to do an average sedan.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I have done my whole 25’ boat with 1 pad per step. Just clean along the way if needed. You will be fine on the jeep
You can, but a clean pad cuts and works much better. It also starts requiring more work to achieve the same results with a dirty pad. A rule of thumb pros use is one pad per panel. Ie....one per door, hood, roof, trunk/hatch. Larger vehicles may take 2 on the hood and roof. Again this is to be able to work faster and not have to stop to clean pads.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You can, but a clean pad cuts and works much better. It also starts requiring more work to achieve the same results with a dirty pad. A rule of thumb pros use is one pad per panel. Ie....one per door, hood, roof, trunk/hatch. Larger vehicles may take 2 on the hood and roof. Again this is to be able to work faster and not have to stop to clean pads.

Cool so since my boat is one giant panel I’m doing it right then [emoji23]

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the tips guys. The WJ has been abused like a CSI victim. Anything is better than nothing. Hopefully I can bring some life back into the paint.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks for the tips guys. The WJ has been abused like a CSI victim. Anything is better than nothing. Hopefully I can bring some life back into the paint.
You'll be amazed at what you can do with old paint and good products. I brought back our 11 year old water tender that has lived outside its entire life. Looked like new.

WJCO

Meme King
These ad targeting robots suck. I just had an ad pop up for washable nursing pads from a company called Bamboobie. I can only assume that all of this 'pad' talk here led the robots to go off the deep end.

Ddays

Hooked
These ad targeting robots suck. I just had an ad pop up for washable nursing pads from a company called Bamboobie. I can only assume that all of this 'pad' talk here led the robots to go off the deep end.

LOL, check out this weird fucker. And no, I didn't click on the ad. I do not want to know :shock:

Picture1.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Fast shipping. It arrived today.

View attachment 341247

I decided to play around with this tonight (that's what she said) on some fine micro scratches just to get comfortable with the machine. Wow, they're gone. Very impressive. I started out with a White Pad and V36 polish. It took 5-10 minutes to remove the scratches in the small area I did, but I was still very impressed. I don't know when I'll get to doing the entire Jeep, but for starting out, I think this is exactly what I was looking for.

jesse3638

Hooked
I decided to play around with this tonight (that's what she said) on some fine micro scratches just to get comfortable with the machine. Wow, they're gone. Very impressive. I started out with a White Pad and V36 polish. It took 5-10 minutes to remove the scratches in the small area I did, but I was still very impressed. I don't know when I'll get to doing the entire Jeep, but for starting out, I think this is exactly what I was looking for.
Yeah heavier pin stripes will probably take 34 and an orange pad. A rule of thumb is that if a scratch disappears when you went it you can buff it out.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah heavier pin stripes will probably take 34 and an orange pad. A rule of thumb is that if a scratch disappears when you went it you can buff it out.

Just based on my short practice tonight, I have a feeling an orange pad with 34 is needed for the rest. I'm still excited to see the results. I'll take some before and after pics. Honestly I never even planned on doing this since we bought the Jeep for using it like this but it's gotten pretty bad and The Chemical Guys are good at spending my money. And I do enjoy taking care of vehicles, regardless.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Just based on my short practice tonight, I have a feeling an orange pad with 34 is needed for the rest. I'm still excited to see the results. I'll take some before and after pics. Honestly I never even planned on doing this since we bought the Jeep for using it like this but it's gotten pretty bad and The Chemical Guys are good at spending my money. And I do enjoy taking care of vehicles, regardless.

Looking forward to seeing these pics. I've got a few blemishes in my paint I'd like to clean up!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I know you prob already fully did you keep but here is a video they recently put out to help with choosing the right polish/pad combo

https://youtu.be/fwhmhFp5hhk

WJCO

Meme King
I've been using this stuff for interior trim and exterior fenders. It's water-based so it doesn't leave oil, shine, or gloss. Been really happy with it.

Untitled.jpg

DSC07256.jpg

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Just washed, claybarred, and waxed the Jeep this weekend. That's too much surface area to do all that all in one day by hand... Arms, shoulders, and back were killing me.

Anyone know if the buffers get you away from having to claybar? Or are they really for just paint correction? Trying to find an easier way...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just washed, claybarred, and waxed the Jeep this weekend. That's too much surface area to do all that all in one day by hand... Arms, shoulders, and back were killing me.

Anyone know if the buffers get you away from having to claybar? Or are they really for just paint correction? Trying to find an easier way...

You can use a machine to apply wax but you should really clay before that. You risk adding swirls if you don’t clay prior

Top Bottom