CJ buggy build

klungly

Going to get some more tubing before I make a second attempt on shock hoop. Go the rotors on and the calipers on. I need to weigh this axle once it's done. Has to weigh at least half a ton. 20180130_205627.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

klungly

I got the driver side shock hoop bent, only for my angle grinder to go down. 20180201_230526.jpg I have an angle die grinder, but I don't want to listen to an air compressor all night.

klungly

Worked on my TJ today. Had a starting issue. The ignition switch actuator was broken. But I picked up a new grinder and did a little tube work to the passenger side before I have to go to work. 20180202_205842.jpg 20180202_205853.jpg started to reinforce the shock hoop.

klungly

Mocked up the driver side hoop with the a pillar tie in. Had to cut a lot of fire wall to allow the hoops to tie into the lower corner of the a pillar. Tacked on the a pillar tie in on the passenger side aswell. 20180204_021251.jpg 20180204_021343.jpg 20180204_021307.jpg

Amrth

Figured out the front shock hoop. Passenger side is tacked in

Love looking at your build updates, kind of curious how did you arrive at the shock mounting angle? I see it not perpendicular like our regular shocks are, just wondering how you got it to where you have it today.. for me for educational purpose only :)

klungly

Love looking at your build updates, kind of curious how did you arrive at the shock mounting angle? I see it not perpendicular like our regular shocks are, just wondering how you got it to where you have it today.. for me for educational purpose only :)

It's more for spring rate. I have them at 15° in and 10° back so they shouldn't break 90° on full extension. If the coilovers break 90, there will be a dead spot in the spring rate where the coilover transitions from a positive to a negative angle. Which would make it really unstable.

Amrth

It's more for spring rate. I have them at 15° in and 10° back so they shouldn't break 90° on full extension. If the coilovers break 90, there will be a dead spot in the spring rate where the coilover transitions from a positive to a negative angle. Which would make it really unstable.

Thanks this helped me get it better.. so I assume you will have limiting straps on them as well?

Another q - How do you arrive at the spring rate that you'd like to use? based in the vehicle weight??

Last edited:

klungly

Thanks this helped me get it better.. so I assume you will have limiting straps on them as well?

Another q - How do you arrive at the spring rate that you'd like to use? based in the vehicle weight??
You're welcome. I'll have limit straps, 1/2" from full extension so I don't damage the shocks. Full bump will be 1/2" from full compression. Everything is being set up at full compression to make sure everything has clearance.

I'm using 150/150lb/in in the rear and 150/250lb/in in the front. Those rates are based off the sprung wieght. Which is the weight felt on the springs. I took the curb weight, subtracted the weight of the axles and gave myself a couplle hundred pounds to play with. I went to crawlpedia.com and they have charts to check spring rates. I ordered them through filthy motor sports. I really liked that they called me and went over my build before submitting my build sheet to king. They also have some pretty good videos on choosing spring rate.

klungly

Driver side shock hoop is in, still need to final weld it. The bracket is tacked on and the a pillar tie in is half welded on. I made a cross member to tie the two hoops. Might redo it and bend it forward to get more room in the engine bay. 20180206_233316.jpg 20180207_025609.jpg

klungly

Took off the old power steering pump brackets, cleaned and painted them. I was going to install the new pump, but I didn't have the right bolts on hand. The new pump is metric. I started working on mounting the radiator. I finished the lower mount and tacked it in. I figured out how I want to do the upper mount so it can bolt in and still keep the radiator snug. 20180209_003015.jpg 20180209_002958.jpg 20180209_005516.jpg 20180209_012345.jpg

klungly

I went to start building my shock mounts and my axle isn't centered to the chassis. I did some measuring and found that my driver side frame rail was an inch further in and a 1/4 inch lower than the passenger side. BABOOZLE helped me get the rail to match the other. I had centered the upper axle control arm brackets to the truss and not the axle. I'll have to cut the old ones off and weld new ones on. I should have them thursday. 20180214_001148.jpg 20180214_001156.jpg

klungly

I'm avoiding my control arm issue for now. One set of brackets is about 1/2" forward than the other. My new brackets will be here tomorrow. I'll move them when they come. Been working on the upper radiator mount. Need to finish trimming the tubing to fit. 20180216_025812.jpg 20180216_025912.jpg

klungly

My wife got me a spare tire strap for my birthday and I'm pretty excited about it. A bunch of parts came in, so I should be able to stay busy for a while. 20180216_102518.jpg 20180217_105215.jpg

aTX427

Dude, you have a big project on your hands. Very cool. I like the rear mounted radiator. What are you doing for plumbing? I just found your thread and haven't had the time to review 22 pages, but it looks like you are running a Jaz fuel cell. What motor and fuel system do you have going into it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

klungly

Dude, you have a big project on your hands. Very cool. I like the rear mounted radiator. What are you doing for plumbing? I just found your thread and haven't had the time to review 22 pages, but it looks like you are running a Jaz fuel cell. What motor and fuel system do you have going into it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thank you. I'm going to route the coolant lines down and underneath the floor boards on the passenger side. It has a carburated small block 350 in it. Going to rebuild it for sure. Thinking about swapping in an LS3 next year.

klungly

Getting back to work on the buggy. A friend asked me to make a bumper and set of sliders for his '90 f250. 20180302_002052.jpg 20180302_002154.jpg getting parts off my shelf too. 20180301_233219.jpg my wife found a clock that fit perfectly into a Dana 44 ring gear. It was in my TJ's front axle, just laying around and I had no plans for it. Started mocking up the rear coilovers and get the shock hoops figured out. 20180302_004029.jpg

Top Bottom