CARNAGE!! Let's See Your Best Breaks & Trail Damage

That does suck. I had it happen twice on two different axles. The second time was on the rubicon and Eddie welded it back with wrentches as bar stock.
Now it sits by the fireplace as a trophy. :)

View attachment 284599

LOL!! Sure brings back memories :crazyeyes:

Did Eddie autograph it with the mig?? Awesome conversation piece!

Nah, another guy who joined us on the trip got a hold of the axle while it was at Off Road Evolution and had it made.

UCA bracket, wheeled it on a 3-link rear till we could get it welded back.
IMG_5848.JPG

Tire ball concept is interesting...do you think if you reduce the number of balls that most racers use so you can air down to 8-10 psi for rock crawling/trail use you would still have run flat advantage so you wouldn't need to change tire due to sidewall tear until you were ready to hit the pavement?

Tireball is working on a way around the new rules for KOH. I saw that they have a new inner tube design that they are working on that is basically the same concept as a bicycle tire. Eliminating all the tire balls and replacing with 1 tough as nails inner tube sounds a lot easier to set up, and apparently it's saving around 14lbs a tire (compared to their original tire ball setup).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

IMG_0831.jpgIMG_0887.jpg
Back before I got rock rails, I got hung up on a berm and snapped my stock running boards. Guess they're not designed for that kind of abuse. ;) The force also flexed the sheet metal.

Bummer. Seems like I hadn't seen these in years but lately, I've been seeing them more and more again even on "built up" axles. Looks like a ProRock is on your Christmas list. :yup:
Do you have an opinion on the J8 crate axle housing? On a bit of a budget. Tough to explain to the kids that their Christmas present is holding the front wheels on the Jeep. Lol!

Do you have an opinion on the J8 crate axle housing? On a bit of a budget. Tough to explain to the kids that their Christmas present is holding the front wheels on the Jeep. Lol!

I believe that axle is discussed here:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/43432-Rubicon-Recon-Edition-quot-Stronger-front-axle-quot

If it's the axle you speak of, it still uses 2.5 inch tubes and I believe is only .065 thicker than the factory JK axle. Doesn't compare to the beef of a ProRock.

Had this happen on the RAM while out wheeling this year.

First part of this was the front axle stub snapping in half. I kept breaking CV shafts...wonder why. I'm only running 40x15.50R20 Nitto Mud Grapplers with 4:56 gears and posi's both front and rear???

As a result I always keep a spare. (because RCV just came out with a set for my truck and they are $2400!!! That and I'd rather a CV break than the internals or worse.) Got out and to my displeasure, I found this. Needless to say I was done for the day. And had to winch about 75 feet up a pretty decent incline with a couple of rock shelfs.
IMG_20170312_130034457.jpgIMG_20170312_130049680.jpgIMG_20170413_213905409.jpgIMG_20170415_173207821.jpg

Next is not something I'm proud of but it happens and t it sucked. I may or may not have been drinking with my cousin while visiting back home... and may or may not have gotten myself into a situation where I should have just left the truck alone until the next day instead of trying to get up a very slick and muddy Hill and into a tree about 4 in the morning.

After about an hour or better of winching straight sideways and then straight up for about 50 feet, drunk and really cold by this point...I made it home and came out to this the next morning and could see the full scope of my idiocy and the damage.

The day before...
IMG_20170224_071332850.jpg

The next day...
IMG_20170225_123231618.jpgIMG_20170225_123220209_HDR.jpgIMG_20170225_123245717.jpgIMG_20170225_123239707_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170225_123252522_HDR.jpg

Nothing a 2x6 can't fix....wood caused the damage...wood fixed it (sort of)
IMG_20170225_152504050.jpg
IMG_20170225_153403537.jpgIMG_20170225_153358678.jpg
Such a shame but hey...it happens.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not much carnage to the jeep per say but here is a 37x13.50r17 Cooper STT Pro with about 5k on it.
Wheeled in Big Bear and looked over each tire as I aired up. Then hit the road. About 60 miles into the drive home on the 605 at 65-70mph, jeep began pulling to the driver. Slowed down and started making my way towards the shoulder and before I got there bam. This was on the drivers front.
20171203_192853.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not much carnage to the jeep per say but here is a 37x13.50r17 Cooper STT Pro with about 5k on it.
Wheeled in Big Bear and looked over each tire as I aired up. Then hit the road. About 60 miles into the drive home on the 605 at 65-70mph, jeep began pulling to the driver. Slowed down and started making my way towards the shoulder and before I got there bam. This was on the drivers front.
View attachment 284919

Holy hell!! What the hell happened there? :shock:

Holy hell!! What the hell happened there? :shock:
Not sure. Aired up in Big Bear to 30psi and looked all tires over when airing up. Didn't see anything that threw a red flag. So hit the road. About 605 and 105 was in the lane next to HOV and started pulling to driver. Didn't notice running over anything and haven't looked the tire over anymore either. But did that before I could get over to the shoulder and stop.

Not sure. Aired up in Big Bear to 30psi and looked all tires over when airing up. Didn't see anything that threw a red flag. So hit the road. About 605 and 105 was in the lane next to HOV and started pulling to driver. Didn't notice running over anything and haven't looked the tire over anymore either. But did that before I could get over to the shoulder and stop.

Well damn, that totally sucks! I'm glad that you're okay and nobody else got hurt. Do you have road hazard insurance on your tires?

That’s not good. Glad you’re Ok... did that happen on Sunday? Was on the same route headed home from Azusa about 4:00.

Top Bottom