CARNAGE!! Let's See Your Best Breaks & Trail Damage

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This really sucked Thanksgiving morning on my way back to camp to smoke a turkey.

Bummer. Seems like I hadn't seen these in years but lately, I've been seeing them more and more again even on "built up" axles. Looks like a ProRock is on your Christmas list. :yup:

Well, this is the second time while Wheeling I've damaged my Jeep. The first time it was two tires ripped open, (snake bite) View attachment 284204 View attachment 284205 .
Today, drivers side window and some top damage. View attachment 284207 View attachment 284208
Kind of a freak thing. As I came around a corner I clipped a branch that flipped up and bang.

Anyone else want to share your Trail Damage?

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Discouraging to see the coopers rip open like that. How many miles did you have on them? Anything in particular you think could have done that? Reason i ask is because i run them also.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Discouraging to see the coopers rip open like that. How many miles did you have on them? Anything in particular you think could have done that? Reason i ask is because i run them also.

2 things. First, he mentioned that it was a "snake bite" and to me, that means they are pinch ruptures. Second, I'm gonna have to bet these are load range C tires. The thinner sidewalls would have made this easier to happen. This is something I've seen on ANY and ALL load range C tires and it's why I prefer to run load range E whenever possible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is always on my mind with the stock axel housing. It seems like with larger tires, it is a “when” not “if” break.

I don't know about that. There are literally well over 1 million JK's running around out there and may of them are now running some kind of larger tire. Breaks like these are dramatic and troubling to see but are far from common. You are more likely to bend a housing than to break one like this but of course, that sucks too. Really, if you want to run big tires and you intend to play hard, you really should save up and plan for an upgrade in the future.

2 things. First, he mentioned that it was a "snake bite" and to me, that means they are pinch ruptures. Second, I'm gonna have to bet these are load range C tires. The thinner sidewalls would have made this easier to happen. This is something I've seen on ANY and ALL load range C tires and it's why I prefer to run load range E whenever possible.

You run the same coopers in LRC right? Have you seen any issues similar on yours yet?

Riflefan

I don't know about that. There are literally well over 1 million JK's running around out there and may of them are now running some kind of larger tire. Breaks like these are dramatic and troubling to see but are far from common. You are more likely to bend a housing than to break one like this but of course, that sucks too. Really, if you want to run big tires and you intend to play hard, you really should save up and plan for an upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the grounding and the perspective. I was on the Fordyce yesterday and it was on my mind all day. I need to learn to relax!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You run the same coopers in LRC right? Have you seen any issues similar on yours yet?

The 37x13.50's I had been running were E and they were tough as nails. My 40's are C and I have had one sidewall failure but that was more of a fluke than anything. I was on a very narrow shelf road and as I tried to get around a tree without going over the ledge, I slowly pushed my sidewall into a thick sharp branch that was hidden behind foliage. I can't say for sure if any tire would have survived that. Aside from that, I've had no problems with them so far.

The 37x13.50's I had been running were E and they were tough as nails. My 40's are C and I have had one sidewall failure but that was more of a fluke than anything. I was on a very narrow shelf road and as I tried to get around a tree without going over the ledge, I slowly pushed my sidewall into a thick sharp branch that was hidden behind foliage. I can't say for sure if any tire would have survived that. Aside from that, I've had no problems with them so far.

Okay, I haven’t had any issues with mine in C yet either. Was just curious since you’ve had yours for a lot longer than i have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I haven’t had any issues with mine in C yet either. Was just curious since you’ve had yours for a lot longer than i have.

Yeah, where you would see a snake bite failure like what was posted is when you're aired down and hit a rock hard enough to cause the sidewall to pinch between it and the wheel. Really easy to do with C tires due to their much thinner sidewalls and you see it all the time on rigs that bomb through the desert. It just takes one rock that you can't really see in a sandy wash to take out 2 tires at once. This is why a lot of guys at KOH run tire balls.

FallonJeeper

Yup it's all over for tire balls. Effective 12/31/2017.

"effective 12/31/2017,*redundant tire inflation systems, anything that could be used to retain the tire profile in a puncture situation, will be illegal for use in Ultra4 competition."

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Yeah, where you would see a snake bite failure like what was posted is when you're aired down and hit a rock hard enough to cause the sidewall to pinch between it and the wheel. Really easy to do with C tires due to their much thinner sidewalls and you see it all the time on rigs that bomb through the desert. It just takes one rock that you can't really see in a sandy wash to take out 2 tires at once. This is why a lot of guys at KOH run tire balls.

Tire ball concept is interesting...do you think if you reduce the number of balls that most racers use so you can air down to 8-10 psi for rock crawling/trail use you would still have run flat advantage so you wouldn't need to change tire due to sidewall tear until you were ready to hit the pavement?

Top Bottom