CANCELED My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance - Think You're Covered? Think Again

ChiliDawg

I've used AAA once to tow our Jeep. Noted, it's not in the same ball park as anything Eddie has. First, I was only about 5 miles from the dealership where it was being towed. Second, all the driver did the entire time of getting the Jeep on the flat bed was complain about how much he and his company hated AAA. His truck, and all the others from his company all have a very large AAA sticker on them. He stated that Good Sam was significantly better to work with. I haven't given it another thought until now. And then over the weekend, while shopping for a little camp trailer to pull, the RV dealer and sales rep spent 10 minutes telling us how awesome Good Sam is. I haven't taken the time to do much digging, especially regarding a modified vehicle, but initially Good Sam looks cheaper, not that that means much, if they won't preform when needed.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used to have AAA and had varying degrees of success with it. Many years ago I was able to get my '85 CJ-7 towed home to Lawrenceville, GA from Tellico after I had some electrical problems that prevented me from getting it running to where I could get it home. Other times when I need it in normal circumstances I've had to wait an asburd amount of time to get a tow. I came to find out from a driver that their AAA requests basically go to the bottom of their queue, because they pay so little that tow companies will choose to go to other calls first.

I haven't had AAA since I switched to USAA several years back. They take way better care of you.

Ddays

Hooked
Huh, I forgot about this thread. Ironically I used AAA when my Tcase blew in Nebraska on my way to EJS this past April. I know I'm not near as wide as Moby is but both AAA and the flatbed driver were awesome. In fact the owner of the towing company ended up becoming a buddy. I keep my AAA primarily for my 3 daughters to use if necessary as two of them live 2 hours from me now. Hope everyone else has good luck in the future with them.

aaa.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
My wife was recently in an accident in her work car. The insured uses AAA insurance. It’s absoluely the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with.

The car starts intermittently after the accident. AAA claims it’s from a wear item and was not caused from the accident. They won’t cover it (about $700 repair), it always started and now it doesn’t.

I filed a claim with the state, but it doesn’t look good. Fuck AAA. I’ll never use them
Again.

jesse3638

Hooked
My wife was recently in an accident in her work car. The insured uses AAA insurance. It’s absoluely the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with.

The car starts intermittently after the accident. AAA claims it’s from a wear item and was not caused from the accident. They won’t cover it (about $700 repair), it always started and now it doesn’t.

I filed a claim with the state, but it doesn’t look good. Fuck AAA. I’ll never use them
Again.

I have heard they are horrible to deal with. In my accident the other party was insured by them but let it lapse so I only had to deal with my insurance's uninsured motorist side. That actually worked better as I got my full deductible returned.

prionic1

I had to use AAA when my Liberty sheared the rack and pinion mount. The guy came with a flatbed and started getting it on the truck. he asked me where I was going and I told him where and it was about 21 miles (I have the 200 mile plan btw) in relatively heavy traffic. When I told him where, he became exceptionally irate and started yelling and throwing hardware and straps... he eventually calmed down and on the way was all pissed at AAA and said he was supposed to get off work in 30 minutes, but my tow was going to take at least 2 hours... If I recall correctly he was going to do something with his kids maybe... But he let me know it wasn’t me... he was irritated with the situation.

Another time I had a dead battery about 10 miles in on maintained forest roads. AAA said if it’s not on pavement, they are not coming... I sort of expected that one.

Anyhow, that’s my experience with AAA.

I have Geico and it’s been decent thus far, however, I have heard that if any claim is made for an incident that’s not on pavement, it won’t be covered. Makes me wonder if I hit a deer or anther yahoo driving way too fast on forest roads hits me or causes some other sort of damage to occur on forest roads will be covered. I really should just ask directly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cammarie1

I had to use AAA ........he became exceptionally irate and started yelling and throwing hardware and straps... .........
Another time I had a dead battery about 10 miles in on maintained forest roads. AAA said if it’s not on pavement, they are not coming... I sort of expected that one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thats too bad for him...........but why did he take a call if he didn't want the gig? Weird.

Personally, i've had great experience with AAA and towing. My only issues are with particular towing companies. I don't know about you folks in the boonies, but there's good reason to hate many city tow companies.

If i ever get the money, i'll buy my own tow rig just to tow friends/neighbors.
All mandated car insurance is a scam. The only true solution is to learn common law and operate SANS insurance. But i don't know enough yet

sailongmetal

trial jeep

Makes you wonder. I needed to put stock 225's on mine equitable to put it on a level bed to tow per Penske. So they can presumably contend simply dependent on bigger non stock tires. I've utilized my AAA for our car....not for the jeep.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
Makes you wonder. I needed to put stock 225's on mine equitable to put it on a level bed to tow per Penske. So they can presumably contend simply dependent on bigger non stock tires. I've utilized my AAA for our car....not for the jeep.

Cool story bro. Quit pimping your shit.

jdofmemi

Where did this douche bag come from?

For what it's worth, I had no problem getting my JKU on 37s towed by the AAA provider out of Baker CA.

Not a word was said, other than nice Jeep and thanks for parking well off the road.

I think like any other business, there are good ones and predatory ones.

rmiller31

I dropped them a few years ago. Sounds more like triple A supports their partners trying to rip people out of several hundred dollars than it does supporting their customers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since this thread has been revived, I just wanted to say that I now have Geico insurance and they have towing service as well. The last time I had to use it was when we were having problems with Moby. Geico sent out a flat bed just as I had requested and I got Moby towed without any questions or issues. AAA and them defending their predatory tow truck drivers is just BS and they will never get my business again.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Since this thread has been revived, I just wanted to say that I now have Geico insurance and they have towing service as well. The last time I had to use it was when we were having problems with Moby. Geico sent out a flat bed just as I had requested and I got Moby towed without any questions or issues. AAA and them defending their predatory tow truck drivers is just BS and they will never get my business again.
That's great that Geico took care of you like that, it so bizarre that experiences like that are the exception and not the norm

Rentaldude

I'm not supprised to read about your experience with AAA. I have had many agruments with them about their polices they only know and share them when it's convienent or to their advantage.

Tow agreements in general have many exclusions. I live in So. California and have a boat I take to Catalina. There is on the water tow service almost every boater belongs similar to AAA. They have a doozy of exclusion you only find out when you need them the most stranded on the ocean, not a good position to be in.

Thier policy says they will tow you up to 100 miles. Sounds great!!
What they don't tell you!! The fine print says they only tow to the nearest port. This could be alomst anywhere depending on where you broke down. Leaving you to pay hundereds of dollars to be towed back to your home port.

In the case of the LA area Catalina is a big money maker for them. They will tow you Catalina if it's closer from where where you broke down. Leaving you to pay hundreds to get your boat back to home port. Not mention all the over priced marine mechanics available at Catalina, which in some cases maybe the cheaper choice.

guarnibl

For those that use the insurance-based coverage for roadside assistance -- if you use it, does it count as a comprehensive claim? I.e., does it go on your CLUE report?

I have AAA, but given what I'm hearing I'm reconsidering. The only thing that would stop me from using the GEICO roadside plan would be if it goes on my clue report. I guess I can just call them, but curious if anyone knew.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those that use the insurance-based coverage for roadside assistance -- if you use it, does it count as a comprehensive claim? I.e., does it go on your CLUE report?

I have AAA, but given what I'm hearing I'm reconsidering. The only thing that would stop me from using the GEICO roadside plan would be if it goes on my clue report. I guess I can just call them, but curious if anyone knew.
Nope, it does not. The road side assistance is treated as its own thing.

WJCO

Meme King

Nope, it does not. The road side assistance is treated as its own thing.
I've never had AAA, but I've used my roadside twice with Metlife and like Eddie said, nothing that affected my rates. Same with my glass coverage that I've used more than a handful of times, didn't affect rates.

Top Bottom