CANCELED My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance - Think You're Covered? Think Again

trailraider

Never used or had AMA here. (Canadian equivalent where I am) . Years ago a friends uncle needed a tow, It was about a 600km, they basically said they would only tow to the nearest service station. He didn't except that. He basically stated he had the service for 20 some years and never used them, asked what the max tow distance was with the service. (I cant remember what it is). and then proceeded to tell them make sure there was a truck at certain point to pick up where one truck was authorized to drive to. said he wanted one for every year he never used the service.

needless to say they towed the vehicle the entire way with one truck no charge.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Based on my past experiences with AAA it seems as though they just manage the plan at AAA and rely on "partners" (i.e., local towing companies) to serve as contracted labor. Any objection or concern from a partner and they rely on their user agreement to explain away why you were not supported. This arrangement can work out for the consumer if you get a cool driver, but it is unpredictable. Roadside assistance is not something you want to be unpredictable. Once we called AAA to tow my mother-in-laws 26' RV using a non-RV policy. The driver showed up with a flatbed that was WAY too small and told us that, if he called AAA and told them it was an RV - which we already had told them, but they apparently did not hear or care to understand - they would deny service; so he was just going to go get a bigger flatbed without saying anything. My guess, the driver who came to "help" you: 1) was not all that interested in driving the 70 miles; and/or 2) did not want to go back to the shop to get the right equipment that you had requested he bring as this would be an admission of their having made a mistake. Sure, your Jeep is modified, but it is not bigger than even a 3/4 ton truck! Shame on the tow driver for bringing the wrong equipment and then being an ass about it and shame on AAA for using a clause in their user agreement to justify denying you for services you paid for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on my past experiences with AAA it seems as though they just manage the plan at AAA and rely on "partners" (i.e., local towing companies) to serve as contracted labor. Any objection or concern from a partner and they rely on their user agreement to explain away why you were not supported. This arrangement can work out for the consumer if you get a cool driver, but it is unpredictable. Roadside assistance is not something you want to be unpredictable. Once we called AAA to tow my mother-in-laws 26' RV using a non-RV policy. The driver showed up with a flatbed that was WAY too small and told us that, if he called AAA and told them it was an RV - which we already had told them, but they apparently did not hear or care to understand - they would deny service; so he was just going to go get a bigger flatbed without saying anything. My guess, the driver who came to "help" you: 1) was not all that interested in driving the 70 miles; and/or 2) did not want to go back to the shop to get the right equipment that you had requested he bring as this would be an admission of their having made a mistake. Sure, your Jeep is modified, but it is not bigger than even a 3/4 ton truck! Shame on the tow driver for bringing the wrong equipment and then being an ass about it and shame on AAA for using a clause in their user agreement to justify denying you for services you paid for.
I think you're right on this. Fortunately, I use Geico now and have used them for towing and had no issues. For as long as I had been a AAA member, they can go fuck themselves for letting their tow truck leave me stranded the way he did and then for not having my back after explaining what happened to me.

GS-RON

I think you're right on this. Fortunately, I use Geico now and have used them for towing and had no issues. For as long as I had been a AAA member, they can go fuck themselves for letting their tow truck leave me stranded the way he did and then for not having my back after explaining what happened to me.
Like you I've been a AAA member/customer since day one. That's about to change unless they want to step up......

3 years ago when Paradise, CA burned to the ground, including my house, shop and landscaping, I was insured with AAA. They handed over a good portion of my money right away but it's taken 3 years to get all of it and the last 30% was a fight.

This week when I added the new JLUR to the car policy the guy told me my Home Owners Ins was past due. It seems they mailed the bill to the address that burned instead of my NEW mailing address that EVERYTHING else goes to. On top of that the amount due is for liability on my lot. They don't do "liability only" so there was a minimum value placed on it. So according to AAA my annual bill for a lot and house worth $50K was/is more than my friends new 1600 sqft, $500K house.....?

I'm going shopping on Monday.....

Jeeper99

Eddie, over a year ago, I know, but this rings of scummy local "service provider" leveraging a person in a vulnerable situation and then leveraging corporate policy to hide behind. Unfortunately, this type of situation occurs more often than is reported in areas where there are no other options. I know, I had acquaintances that did this in the Mojave desert as a matter of daily course. It's bad actors that do this crap and then employ their corporate sponsors to protect them. I recall a case of where an employee suggested sex for fixing a car, because the stranded person didn't have enough money. The point is; scummy people will always exist and leverage "the rules" in their favor. I know you did what seemed logical, but if you let these types force your decisions, you will soon find no options. I know it happened to me.

jeeperchris

20170522210650-3e56db90.jpg

On our way out to Moab a few weeks back, Cindy and I decided to take some side routes and do some exploring along the way. Unfortunately, about half way up a long steep grade, we started to experience problems with our engine and transmission and it was all we could do get back to pavement, let alone to the nearest town. Being that we've been a Premier Member of AAA Road Side Assistance for well over 10 years, we decided to give them a call and just have Moby towed home. Certainly, it would be a lot faster and easier and our membership allows for the first 200 miles free of charge.

When I made the call to AAA, I explained to them what I was driving and that I would need a flat bed truck. I will say that I was quite surprised that a truck came out within 15 minutes but I was disappointed to see it was a standard wheel lift as opposed to a flat bed as I had requested. When the driver asked where we needed to go, I explained to him that we wanted to have our Jeep taken to our home in Carson City and that was about 70 miles away. Initially, he didn't seem to think it'd be a problem to just use his truck to do the job but then I let him know that I had specifically requested a flat bed. To this, he became irritable and started to berate me for having such a big Jeep and that I should know that the terms and conditions of AAA Road Side Assistance doesn't allow for the towing of such a vehicle. Surprised, I let him know that we've used AAA multiple times in the past to tow Jeeps just like this and without any problems and that's when he demanded where this occurred. When I said that I've used AAA for towing in Blanding, UT and Lone Pine, CA, he snapped back at me and said he was going to report them! He said they aren't supposed to tow vehicles like ours and then he got on his phone to tell the garage he came from what was going on. With me standing in front of him, he bitched and moaned about our Jeep and how AAA needs to explain to guys like me what is and isn't allowed. After the driver ended his call, he let me know that he does have a flat bed truck and that if I really wanted, he could get it and tow us home but that he would have to do it commercially and that would cost about $600-$700! Upon hearing this, Cindy and I laughed, told him we'd pass and spent the rest of the night hobbling back home.

Because we were able to get Moby home and were still able to get out to Moab and have a great time, I had totally forgotten about this stupid experience. However, a week ago, I got an email survey from AAA asking how my experience was using their service back on May 13th. Needless to say, I used the opportunity to let them know. While I didn't expect anyone there to really care or do anything about what happened to us, I figured that maybe someone on their end might want to know. Well, much to my surprise, I got the following response from a Mary Whitehead.

In other words, sorry that we left you stranded along the side of the road in spite of the fact that you've paid for our services for well over 10 years but our driver determined he couldn't help you out unless you paid him $600-$700. Please refer back to Member Terms and Conditions to explain why you got screwed.

This is the response I just sent her but I doubt I she or anyone over at AAA is going to respond.

I have to say that I really am quite disappointed with AAA. Not only do I insure all 8 vehicles I own with them, I have paid for their roadside assistance for well over 10 years and have recommended their services to every Jeeper I know. Now that I know they'll leave you stranded on the side of a road if their technician determines "applicable services can't be performed legally and safely, with ordinary servicing equipment, which may include a sling and/or wheel lift devices, car carries and/or dollies", I no longer have a need for their services. Certainly, it would have been cheaper to just pay the $600-$700 than to have paid what I have over the last 10+ years.
Thanks for posting this. Sucks man. We were just talking about doing a roadside with them, yeah forget that! Mine isn't modified yet.... But I do have plans in the future.

ducatijosh

Dumb question but I'd like to know for the future before I get myself into trouble.

Why is a flat bed needed for 4WD vehicles? Cant we just put the transfer case/transmission in N and tow it however?

Top Bottom