ANOTHER WINDSHIELD Bites the Dust - What Number are You On?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sensors aren't attached to the windshield. Recalibration isn't necessary, if it was, then every time you laid the windshield down, strapped it, and drove, you'd have to get the service.

Now, if the impact happened right in front of the sensor box and it was heavy, then yes there's a possibility things may have rattled.
Iā€™m late to the party on this but this is not true. For the adaptive cruise/forward collision and such the calibration process includes learning the windshield thickness. Moor and other brands like GM have a standard thickness requirement for the sensors. (Only OEM glass can be used in some cases.) The calibration only needs to take place during a replacement of the glass, not if you fold the windshield down.

Brute

Hooked
Cracked the Gorilla Glass on the 392 on my way back from Boise a couple weeks agoā€¦I bought aux insurance specifically to address windshield replacement from the dealer at the time of purchaseā€¦they are giving me grief about paying for it.

They are screwing with the wrong personā€¦

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Iā€™m late to the party on this but this is not true. For the adaptive cruise/forward collision and such the calibration process includes learning the windshield thickness. Moor and other brands like GM have a standard thickness requirement for the sensors. (Only OEM glass can be used in some cases.) The calibration only needs to take place during a replacement of the glass, not if you fold the windshield down.
Thanks for chiming in on this. That's what I was told too - glass thickness and final position of it would change what the camera sees and that's why the recal needs to occur.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cracked the Gorilla Glass on the 392 on my way back from Boise a couple weeks agoā€¦I bought aux insurance specifically to address windshield replacement from the dealer at the time of purchaseā€¦they are giving me grief about paying for it.

They are screwing with the wrong personā€¦
So, I have to say that I'm less than impressed with the Gorilla Glass. The ACCUAIR Gladiator has it and I'll be damned that it seems to pick up more chips than any of my other windshields. Granted, they aren't spreading like a spider web but they definitely seem to be more noticable.

Bummer that they're giving you grief with the insurance.

Damn thatā€™s not good to hear. I think the gorilla glass is a 700 dollar option too. Crazy

** just checked 295 additional

DaJudge

Got my second crack coming home from Denver yesterday. Started as a chip but by the time I got home it had started to wander. With the first one my windshield warranty (bought through Peterson's) replaced it no questions asked. We will see what they say about this one. Two windshields in 6 months! :unsure:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got my second crack coming home from Denver yesterday. Started as a chip but by the time I got home it had started to wander. With the first one my windshield warranty (bought through Peterson's) replaced it no questions asked. We will see what they say about this one. Two windshields in 6 months! :unsure:
Well that sucks! Hope all goes well with your replacement. Please keep us posted as I have little doubt that I'll be going through more windshields myself :rolleyes:

sunnysideup

47,000 miles still on the second one.... but not because it didn't crack. I've just decided that my windsheild lasts longer if I don't replace it right away.
On my JK I tried this theroy out. On about my 4th windsheild- It got a crack in the first 6 months... I left it! ....and 3 years later only 1 crack!
So, by my scientific approach new windsheilds attract more rocks and crack easier. So keep the old one as long as you can bear it.

DaJudge

Well that sucks! Hope all goes well with your replacement. Please keep us posted as I have little doubt that I'll be going through more windshields myself :rolleyes:
Have an appointment tomorrow to get it replaced. So far the insurance has been good.

coming home from Denver

Woah, woah, eeeasy.

LOL. Does seem like CO likes to claim windshields. Good luckšŸ‘

General side note - anyone know how to combat the ā€œsandblastā€ effect on the tint?
A. Does the tint last longer buying the
mopar brand windshield?
B. Can you re-tint to get rid of the million
little specs where light shines thru?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No Jeep road trip is complete without a broken windshield. šŸ˜•

I heard it hit but did not think it actually broke the glass. The crack has lengthened about a 1/2-inch a day. Luckily itā€™s right in front of meā€¦.
View attachment 387371
Awe man, that sucks. If you can hold out until you get out here, I know a guy who can get you fixed up for cheap

demonjester

I have been fortunate so far. Still on my 1st windshield, 29000 miles. 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon.

Previously had a 2010 JK 2 door, and I did not replace the windshield in that either.

On a side note, the new broncos apparently have a similar issue/experience. A friend of mine is on his 4th windshield since he got his new last July, and has never been offroad that I am aware of.

Sylvester

So, I have to say that I'm less than impressed with the Gorilla Glass. The ACCUAIR Gladiator has it and I'll be damned that it seems to pick up more chips than any of my other windshields. Granted, they aren't spreading like a spider web but they definitely seem to be more noticable.

Bummer that they're giving you grief with the insurance.
I asked Glass guy about this Back in Boulder City while he was Replacing my third Winshield, He said Gorilla glass wont Spider but it will Crack and Easily, It's not Safety Glass and it's a waste of Money. his words.

For the Record 3 front Winshield's replaced and 1 rear

trailraider

Gorilla glass has a warranty, thats the benefit of having it.
I still personally find the O.E non gorilla to be the best. of all the ones we replace it seems to hold up far better then the off make ones. I find the quality of off brand to be garbage. probably rereplace at least a 2 to 1 on people asking for the aftermarket over O.E. We see those people back far more often then the people we put o.e ones in. and O.E has the little easter egg jeep. not a moched up sticker bought on line to simulate.

but I am biased to O.E

Top Bottom