ANOTHER WINDSHIELD Bites the Dust - What Number are You On?

NV375

Cj7 - 26 years - original windshield
TJ - 18 years - original windshield
JLUR - 6 weeks - original lol Gorilla Glass

Are most of you getting cracks off-road or on road??
All mine have been on the highway. Jeeps and other vehicles the rocks do not discriminate.

Andy5160

Hooked
The guy that showed up that day did have the glass with him. He wanted to look at it to make sure the other guy brought the correct windshield.

He was really just an asshat looking for a reason not to do the job. The Chevy dealership in Henderson said bring it to them and they would call Safelite and if they refused to do the calibration he had a technician that would be thrilled to work on a lifted van since he has one himself. I did not have time for that shit. I was leaving the country again in a few days after this happened with Safelite. I was not happy with Safelite in Henderson Nevada several years ago also.
Glad you had it handled one way or another. Hate when unnecessary shit like this happens.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I apologize for not posting up sooner but as soon as the guy left, Cindy and I had to hit the road back to Boulder City and didn't get in until way late.

Anyway, I should note that I too was confused about the whole calibration thing, especially being that the windshield is designed to be folded down. So, I asked the nice tech a whole bunch of questions and surprisingly, he really knew his stuff and was very polite and thorough about his answers and to the point where I couldn't even catch it all. Long story short, if you have forward collision avoidance, there is a small forward facing camera that the system uses and I'm pretty sure it's this thing attached to the glass itself. You can see it here.

CAMERA.JPG

The big box next to it is for the adaptive cruise control radar system and when you fold your windshield down, it of stays in place. Because the seal on the windshield can vary every so slightly from the factory, top to bottom or even side to side and therefore, affect the actual position of the glass once installed, this can cause the camera to look off in a different direction from where it was originally set. During calibration, a simple 5 mile or less drive is done until the radar and camera can lock onto a car in front of you and determine its actual distance. Originally, I was told that only the dealership can perform this task but luckily, Safelite could do it too.

The whole replacement and calibration took less than an hour to do and the best part... I paid ZERO dollars for the work!
SAFELITE.png

Well, I paid $599 up front when I bought the insurance but for those of you who've priced a factory replacement windshield with forward collision/adaptive cruise control installed, you know that just ONE replacement can cost you well over a GRAND!! Needless to say, just for this one windshield, I think we did pretty well on saving some money. And, we've got maybe another 3 we can replace before we need to start forking out money out of pocket again. I honestly don't know why we didn't do this sooner!

NV375

Sounds like you have a good Safelite up north. I am 0-2 between Henderson and Las Vegas. Henderson was probably over 10 years ago.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Okay, I apologize for not posting up sooner but as soon as the guy left, Cindy and I had to hit the road back to Boulder City and didn't get in until way late.

Anyway, I should note that I too was confused about the whole calibration thing, especially being that the windshield is designed to be folded down. So, I asked the nice tech a whole bunch of questions and surprisingly, he really knew his stuff and was very polite and thorough about his answers and to the point where I couldn't even catch it all. Long story short, if you have forward collision avoidance, there is a small forward facing camera that the system uses and I'm pretty sure it's this thing attached to the glass itself. You can see it here.

View attachment 384669

The big box next to it is for the adaptive cruise control radar system and when you fold your windshield down, it of stays in place. Because the seal on the windshield can vary every so slightly from the factory, top to bottom or even side to side and therefore, affect the actual position of the glass once installed, this can cause the camera to look off in a different direction from where it was originally set. During calibration, a simple 5 mile or less drive is done until the radar and camera can lock onto a car in front of you and determine its actual distance. Originally, I was told that only the dealership can perform this task but luckily, Safelite could do it too.

The whole replacement and calibration took less than an hour to do and the best part... I paid ZERO dollars for the work!
View attachment 384671

Well, I paid $599 up front when I bought the insurance but for those of you who've priced a factory replacement windshield with forward collision/adaptive cruise control installed, you know that just ONE replacement can cost you well over a GRAND!! Needless to say, just for this one windshield, I think we did pretty well on saving some money. And, we've got maybe another 3 we can replace before we need to start forking out money out of pocket again. I honestly don't know why we didn't do this sooner!
What’s the deal with only having three? Is there a limit on how many you can warranty?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you have a good Safelite up north. I am 0-2 between Henderson and Las Vegas. Henderson was probably over 10 years ago.
LOL - I get that you have a hard on for Safelite buy my latest post was NOT started to promote them. I really couldn't give two hoots about Safelite and really, I get ALL my other windshield replacements done by a local shop. They're simply who Permaplate, the insurance company chose to use - that's all. Just putting out all this information so that others can know who and what I've been working with - just information and that's all.

That said, my purpose for making my latest post was to share how our brand new 392 with just 10k miles on it already needed a windshield replaced. Also, that we got insurance for it and saved a lot of money because of it AND how I learned about why a recalibration is necessary. All I'm hoping to do is share this information with others so that they can learn from my experiences. :cool:

That said, I get it - Safelite sucks (y)😁

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What’s the deal with only having three? Is there a limit on how many you can warranty?
Yeah, there's a deductible on the insurance. If possible, they would prefer to just "fix" a crack and they can do a pretty good job of it. Essentially, make it really small and keep it from growing. If that's all we did, they could keep making the repairs for a very long time. Replacing windshields is expensive and after we exceed $5k, we need to start paying out of pocket. The 3 limit is just my best guess as to how many we can get out of the $5k.

NV375

LOL - I get that you have a hard on for Safelite buy my latest post was NOT started to promote them. I really couldn't give two hoots about Safelite and really, I get ALL my other windshield replacements done by a local shop. They're simply who Permaplate, the insurance company chose to use - that's all. Just putting out all this information so that others can know who and what I've been working with - just information and that's all.

That said, my purpose for making my latest post was to share how our brand new 392 with just 10k miles on it already needed a windshield replaced. Also, that we got insurance for it and saved a lot of money because of it AND how I learned about why a recalibration is necessary. All I'm hoping to do is share this information with others so that they can learn from my experiences. :cool:

That said, I get it - Safelite sucks (y)😁
It's like any chain the local employees make it or break it for the customer experience. That is one reason I mentioned that Henderson was over 10 years ago. They might have all new staff and be wonderful now. I would not have an issue with the one that came to you.

Kind of like your experience with AAA you had some contractors show up and destroy your experience. We still have AAA since my wife can not change a tire and scares me when she talks about jump starting a vehicle.

Everyone's milage can very.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah, there's a deductible on the insurance. If possible, they would prefer to just "fix" a crack and they can do a pretty good job of it. Essentially, make it really small and keep it from growing. If that's all we did, they could keep making the repairs for a very long time. Replacing windshields is expensive and after we exceed $5k, we need to start paying out of pocket. The 3 limit is just my best guess as to how many we can get out of the $5k.
Ah that makes sense. So after the $5k you start paying full price or just the deductible? What’s the deductible?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's like any chain the local employees make it or break it for the customer experience. That is one reason I mentioned that Henderson was over 10 years ago. They might have all new staff and be wonderful now. I would not have an issue with the one that came to you.

Kind of like your experience with AAA you had some contractors show up and destroy your experience. We still have AAA since my wife can not change a tire and scares me when she talks about jump starting a vehicle.

Everyone's milage can very.
LOL - And, you should probably start your own thread to talk about all this, just like I did with AAA years ago (y)

In the mean time, this thread was started to share how many windshields people have gone through. And again, this is number one for our 392 and I'm super glad for the insurance that I bought 😁

kevman65

Hooked
I learned something new. I didn't know forward collision control was an option for JL/JT. Also didn't know it involved a camera on the windshield.

Had it on my Explorer and the sensor(s) for it were in the grill.

Now the ACC is what I was talking about, most glass shops insist recal has to be done when windshield is replaced and it's simply not true for the reason I stated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I learned something new. I didn't know forward collision control was an option for JL/JT. Also didn't know it involved a camera on the windshield.

Had it on my Explorer and the sensor(s) for it were in the grill.

Now the ACC is what I was talking about, most glass shops insist recal has to be done when windshield is replaced and it's simply not true for the reason I stated.
Yup, all new to me as well. Also, I'm pretty sure you cannot get ACC without forward collision control or at least, that's what I was told.

TrailHunter

Hooked
If possible, they would prefer to just "fix" a crack and they can do a pretty good job of it. Essentially, make it really small and keep it from growing.

The wifes 4runner got hit yesterday.. chip was spidered just a little. Made some calls, and found a local guy willing to come to the house on short notice.. He was here for like 30min.. sealed it up. $125 Not bad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The wifes 4runner got hit yesterday.. chip was spidered just a little. Made some calls, and found a local guy willing to come to the house on short notice.. He was here for like 30min.. sealed it up. $125 Not bad.
Awesome! How much of a chip was left afterward?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Awesome! How much of a chip was left afterward?
Shit photo, sorry.... but you can still see it... and feel it very slightly with your fingernail.... And you can still see a hairline if you look at the right angle. It's not in the line of sight so its not a big deal. Just hoping it doesn't spread. We'll see. IMG_2329-2.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Shit photo, sorry.... but you can still see it... and feel it very slightly with your fingernail.... And you can still see a hairline if you look at the right angle. It's not in the line of sight so its not a big deal. Just hoping it doesn't spread. We'll see. View attachment 384675
Nice! That's not bad at all and from experience, I can tell you that it should hold up well. (y)

Top Bottom