And so it Begins... the 392

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the answer. I was worried about the t-case when I got mine. Now I guess I am more worried.
Let's be honest here, just because a Jeep comes with a badass 392 doesn't mean any of the other components on it - things it really SHOULD come with are badass too. Normally, a big heavy 4-door Wrangler should have NOTHING LESS than 1-ton axles, a REAL gear driven transfer case and beefed up 1350 drive shafts. With the exception of the engine, which I love, NOTHING about the 392 speaks to anything about using it for what it should be made for.

Also, the crawl ratio sucks. Sure, the torque on the 392 helps make up the difference but the feel of it and maybe in part because of the clutch packs, is kind of shitty. Takes some getting used to and really, feels about like crawling a Sport or Sahara. If you really want to play on the rocks, do yourself a favor and build up your 392 right to do just that.

Is it that bad? 😩😩

eh... yeah, it is. Don't get me wrong, the 392 is still a ton of fun but out of the box, it really isn't made for crawling or at least, with anything more than factory tires.

bholder817

Let's be honest here, just because a Jeep comes with a badass 392 doesn't mean any of the other components on it - things it really SHOULD come with are badass too. Normally, a big heavy 4-door Wrangler should have NOTHING LESS than 1-ton axles, a REAL gear driven transfer case and beefed up 1350 drive shafts. With the exception of the engine, which I love, NOTHING about the 392 speaks to anything about using it for what it should be made for.

Also, the crawl ratio sucks. Sure, the torque on the 392 helps make up the difference but the feel of it and maybe in part because of the clutch packs, is kind of shitty. Takes some getting used to and really, feels about like crawling a Sport or Sahara. If you really want to play on the rocks, do yourself a favor and build up your 392 right to do just that.

eh... yeah, it is. Don't get me wrong, the 392 is still a ton of fun but out of the box, it really isn't made for crawling or at least, with anything more than factory tires.
Thanks for the more detailed info!

JT@623

Hooked

I would agree with that. Most that buy one won’t ever wheel it very hard or at all. I’m probably one of those, forest roads and road trips will be what mine does. If I want to go play it will be my JK or TJ these things are a novelty for the most part but they are damn fun to drive.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got around to installing a Switch Pros on the 392. Being that the layout of the engine compartment is so different from a 3.6L or 2.0L, the bracket made for a JL/JT wouldn't work but I was able to come up with a solution with the universal plate they provide. Just needed to drill a couple of holes and use existing bolts on the fender :)
20231119123512-3386d955.jpg

20231119123513-d68d2cfd.jpg
20231119123515-14fd23e7.jpg

Of course, I have the switch panel itself mounted on our ACC BAR and with the extra switches, I was now able to completely separate the amber back glow from the main light. Being that they're so much brighter than before, I felt they needed to also be separated from the rock lights and be used more for something like a DRL. I also put the EVO rock slider lights on it's own switch.
20231119123516-0b17072c.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Finally got around to installing a Switch Pros on the 392. Being that the layout of the engine compartment is so different from a 3.6L or 2.0L, the bracket made for a JL/JT wouldn't work but I was able to come up with a solution with the universal plate they provide. Just needed to drill a couple of holes and use existing bolts on the fender :)
20231119123512-3386d955.jpg

20231119123513-d68d2cfd.jpg
20231119123515-14fd23e7.jpg

Of course, I have the switch panel itself mounted on our ACC BAR and with the extra switches, I was now able to completely separate the amber back glow from the main light. Being that they're so much brighter than before, I felt they needed to also be separated from the rock lights and be used more for something like a DRL. I also put the EVO rock slider lights on it's own switch.
20231119123516-0b17072c.jpg
oh, that modified bracket install looks like ass, better trade me for my 2018 JLU that the bracket was made for. I'll toss in the Acc Bar so it'll be familiar to you.

Top Bottom