A Dirt Head's JK

Installed something simple but functional today.

After violent whipping, numerous bends, and slight corrosion, I picked up a new AM/FM radio antenna. It's made by a cool little place called MastsUSA that specializes in vehicle antennas And makes them right here in America.

It's a few inches shorter than stock, much stiffer, and most importantly... black. I've never been a fan of stubby antennas, always liked the look of the conventional old school ones that stick straight up.

20220823_121726.jpg

I also plan to order rear frame mounted d-ring mounts and a Cobra CB Radio, firestik antenna, Wilson COAX Cable, and SWR meter today.

Installed something simple but functional today.

After violent whipping, numerous bends, and slight corrosion, I picked up a new AM/FM radio antenna. It's made by a cool little place called MastsUSA that specializes in vehicle antennas And makes them right here in America.

It's a few inches shorter than stock, much stiffer, and most importantly... black. I've never been a fan of stubby antennas, always liked the look of the conventional old school ones that stick straight up.

View attachment 378498
Do you actually use the radio or is the fancy antenna just for show?

Got a couple things installed yesterday and today.

First the CB went in - pretty smoothly. It's mounted under the passenger side dash and the power cable is routed up beind the glove box and through a small hole behind the upper right dash panel that leads into a channel that runs directly to the engine bay and to the battery. Just had to push through some foam with a screwdriver. Mounted the mic with a cheap mic mount from Amazon, and still waiting on the antenna to arrive so haven't tested it yet, looks relatively clean though in my opinion.
20220829_192339.jpg

Today I installed the rear D-ring mounts! Can't believe how long I stalled on ordering these but anyway super happy with the look.
20220829_192426.jpg

Got the Antenna mounted and hooked up after work tonight! Here's a quick look at the process.

20220831_193252.jpg
Antenna stud mounted...

20220831_193305.jpg
Routed through the carrier and into factory tailgate hole...

20220831_193352.jpg
Ran along the factory wiring...

20220831_200458.jpg
I love zipties and ran it under the carpet along the trim...

20220831_200436.jpg
Made its way to the CB under the dash...

20220831_201541.jpg
Almost there...

20220831_205314.jpg
20220831_205322.jpg
Done!

I was attacked by many mosquitoes as well. I also tuned it with an SWR meter (It's 1.4, I'm cool with that) and tested it with my buddy from work who wheels a 91' F-150 and runs a CB of course. Good to go.

IMG_20220905_213100_104.jpg
Definitely digging this look, the build is really coming together.

Top and doors went back on before the rain and I'll be getting up early tomorrow to make the short trek up to Jeep Bash! Will be great to meet some of the friends I've made here on Wayalife - truly a great platform that not only is full of useful tips and information, but brings people together.

Next on the long list is a Warn winch finally! Another crucial add on I've passed on for too long now. Been almost a year since I got the Quarter Pounder to mount one in... 😅

15,000 miles, two rotations, and roughly a year on the Nitto Trail Grapplers!

These are my absolute favorite tires I've ever ran on any vehicle. Aggressive tread gives a squared off look to the shoulder, they hook up on everything off road, tough as nails - no pun intended, they are LTs and literally deflect nails - no chunking, wearing super evenly, nearly silent, and balance like nothing for 35s.

I run 30psi in them on road, and they still look great. Will only buy these from here on out 😎 PSX_20220918_201634.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom