1948 Willys CJ-2A

GP NOIR

Hooked
I spent some time driving the Willys around the neighborhood this weekend and getting a feel for it. While it is in fantastic shape there are a few things I need/want to tweak. Of course! 😂🤣

A few items I’d like to address:
Brakes
Carb
Diff fluid change
Fuel bowl gasket

The brakes definitely need some work!

The carb has a leak and drips on the exhaust manifold. 🔥 🔥 💀

Apparently there were two different carburetors used and mine has the Carter
View attachment 390382

I ordered the following parts:
Carb rebuild kit
Diff gaskets
Fuel bowl gasket
Air intake gaskets
Brake pads

As busy as I am it’s very relaxing and enjoyable to wrench on this Jeep. Everything is basic and simple. There is plenty of room to work and no computers.

When I bought the Jeep the previous owner include several boxes of new and old parts. In that box I found the original speedometer.
View attachment 390383

The new speedometer:
View attachment 390384

Once the parts arrive I’ll get to work.
On the new speedometer, they spelled “SMILES” wrong

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Until we move to Nevada and get a Jeep Baller Garage (Like Eddie & Cindy 😀), we are a bit tight on space for the Jeeps. To help with that I bought these wheel ‘coasters’ so moving Kaiser around was much easier. I can now get him closer to the wall so the 392 has more room. In addition I do not need to pull Kaiser out of the garage to use my gym.

Easy to assemble.
IMG_0608.jpeg

The handles are nice.
IMG_0610.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

The added benefit of these is it lifts the Willys up a couple of inches so I can get my fat ass under it to wrench.
IMG_0613.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Until we move to Nevada and get a Jeep Baller Garage (Like Eddie & Cindy 😀), we are a bit tight on space for the Jeeps. To help with that I bought these wheel ‘coasters’ so moving Kaiser around was much easier. I can now get him closer to the wall so the 392 has more room. In addition I do not need to pull Kaiser out of the garage to use my gym.

Easy to assemble.
View attachment 396833

The handles are nice.
View attachment 396834

View attachment 396835

The added benefit of these is it lifts the Willys up a couple of inches so I can get my fat ass under it to wrench.
View attachment 396836
LOL at baller garage!! That said, those things are so awesome and for the reason you got them (y)

AZVAJKU

Hooked
My fuel pump has been leaking and the fuel is tragically close to the exhaust manifold so it’s time for a repair. I was going to simply rebuild and reinstall the old pump but I found one that I could prime by hand and thought that might come in handy.

The old one.
I will rebuild this and carry it as a spare. The seal is shot and the screws are stripped. It’s got years of crud on it.
IMG_0734.jpeg

The new fuel pump.
IMG_0735.jpeg

Hand priming lever.
IMG_0736.jpeg

It was kind of a pain to get to.
IMG_0737.jpeg

I thought I might need to pull the motor mount but a flexible socket extension did the trick.
IMG_0738.jpeg

A little lube added.
IMG_0740.jpeg

Thought I’d add an inline fuel filter.
IMG_0741.jpeg

The new pump installed.
IMG_0742.jpeg

Line from the tank. I drained the tank completely and will refill it with ethanol free gas. I’ll also add a little lead substitute just for Greta.
IMG_0743.jpeg

My fuel pump has been leaking and the fuel is tragically close to the exhaust manifold so it’s time for a repair. I was going to simply rebuild and reinstall the old pump but I found one that I could prime by hand and thought that might come in handy.

The old one.
I will rebuild this and carry it as a spare. The seal is shot and the screws are stripped. It’s got years of crud on it.
View attachment 398135

The new fuel pump.
View attachment 398136

Hand priming lever.
View attachment 398137

It was kind of a pain to get to.
View attachment 398138

I thought I might need to pull the motor mount but a flexible socket extension did the trick.
View attachment 398139

A little lube added.
View attachment 398140

Thought I’d add an inline fuel filter.
View attachment 398141

The new pump installed.
View attachment 398142

Line from the tank. I drained the tank completely and will refill it with ethanol free gas. I’ll also add a little lead substitute just for Greta.
View attachment 398143

New part is satisfyingly clean…

I used to have a Lincoln gas stick welder from the 60s that ran on a little built-in Kohler motor.

It kept stalling out and I finally replaced the fuel sediment bulb, like the one your pump has, and it started running great. Didn’t realize how clogged that thing can get.

Top Bottom