Would you like to add a tip?

Maybe this is mainly a Commiefornia thing, but more and more am I seeing eateries REQUIRE you to tip at the card reader. Brianna and I just went to a new sandwich place across the street from my house in Del Mar and after paying an already outrages $30 on two sandwiches, I didn’t have an option to opt out of the tip. Instead, I pressed the red X on the keypad thinking that would decline the tip, but it actually cancelled the transaction only to ask me again. I was forced to select the lowest amount, 10% which was $3 and pay a whopping $33 instead.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this and it’s getting more and more common everywhere I go and I’m sorry, I’m not gonna tip someone for pressing a couple buttons on an iPad. They’re paid hourly to do that. Not to mention the growing number of businesses ruling out cash as an option as well.

Is this all too common everywhere?

jeeeep

Hooked
Maybe this is mainly a Commiefornia thing, but more and more am I seeing eateries REQUIRE you to tip at the card reader. Brianna and I just went to a new sandwich place across the street from my house in Del Mar and after paying an already outrages $30 on two sandwiches, I didn’t have an option to opt out of the tip. Instead, I pressed the red X on the keypad thinking that would decline the tip, but it actually cancelled the transaction only to ask me again. I was forced to select the lowest amount, 10% which was $3 and pay a whopping $33 instead.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this and it’s getting more and more common everywhere I go and I’m sorry, I’m not gonna tip someone for pressing a couple buttons on an iPad. They’re paid hourly to do that. Not to mention the growing number of businesses ruling out cash as an option as well.

it is, and it pisses me off. There is usually an Other option which I always choose and enter 0.

it is, and it pisses me off. There is usually an Other option which I always choose and enter 0.
So that’s what I thought too, but the screen had 4 options from 10% to 20% which I asked the cashier about to which she uncomfortably answered with “yeah I don’t know why it’s like that sorry”

JAGS

Hooked
It’s a payment system thing and not just CA. Have seen it in Hawaii, CA, AZ, NV, LA, and years ago in Canada. Seems like more businesses are upgrading to these payment systems. I almost always CHOOSE other and enter a custom tip depending on the work/service involved. If there was no other option, I’d ask the manager or say you’ll take your biz elsewhere. Sucks as the owner set up the system, not the person making your sammie.

JAGS

Hooked
So that’s what I thought too, but the screen had 4 options from 10% to 20% which I asked the cashier about to which she uncomfortably answered with “yeah I don’t know why it’s like that sorry”
This sucks! SD is the most expensive place to live in the state/country or something like that. That sandwich maker might be living in her car. 🤪 $3 could buy her a shower at the truck stop. Lol.

This sucks! SD is the most expensive place to live in the state/country or something like that. That sandwich maker might be living in her car. 🤪 $3 could buy her a shower at the truck stop. Lol.
You may be right! Of course, she was masked up and covered in spider related tattoos with the bottom half of her hair dyed black as well… Suprised she didn’t try to pitch the fake meat option to me! 🤣

It may be that cash is no longer accepted, even though the statement on the bills says it must be.

Since cash is practically never used any more, the situation could occur that the business has no cash/change on hand to allow you to pay the exact amount. So carry lots of small bills and coins with you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This is just bullshit and no, this is not common everywhere. Well, maybe everywhere in California but not across America... yet.

Ddays

Hooked
It may be that cash is no longer accepted, even though the statement on the bills says it must be.

Since cash is practically never used any more, the situation could occur that the business has no cash/change on hand to allow you to pay the exact amount. So carry lots of small bills and coins with you.

I don't always pay cash but I've not been anywhere that hasn't accepted it. There are self-checkouts that are labelled card only, but there is always at least one attendant available

WJCO

Meme King
I have mixed thoughts on this. I definitely am sick of every business getting more pushy with the tip thing but a lot of times it's the payment machine doing it. But also, I don't mind giving a decent tip when the workers are working hard, offer good service and are authentic in their desire to serve customers. With the cost of living being so high, I really do have sympathy for workers especially in positions that are stereotypically assumed to be minimum/lower wages. If I'm the one who chose to go out rather than cook at home, I don't mind tipping them. Case by case basis for me.

Ddays

Hooked
My daughter worked at a golf course one summer and was constantly given garbage tips like .25 & .50 cents by cheap fuckers playing with $500 drivers & $200 putters in their bags. Since then I've always tipped a min of 25% to try to make up for these asshats, unless the restaurant waiter/waitress was overtly bad.
If I was sure the tips went to the workers at these 'eateries' I wouldn't mind paying a tip. I suspect this isn't the case though

Brute

Hooked
I try to do this whenever I can...this tipping thing is getting out of hand. I certainly don't mind tipping the wait staff at a sit down restaurant...and usually do so very well depending on service (this is how it should be)...but getting takeout pizza, which requires me to go inside a joint, then having the machine ask if I want to tip (which basically amounts to shaming you into tipping) is ridiculous...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have mixed thoughts on this. I definitely am sick of every business getting more pushy with the tip thing but a lot of times it's the payment machine doing it. But also, I don't mind giving a decent tip when the workers are working hard, offer good service and are authentic in their desire to serve customers. With the cost of living being so high, I really do have sympathy for workers especially in positions that are stereotypically assumed to be minimum/lower wages. If I'm the one who chose to go out rather than cook at home, I don't mind tipping them. Case by case basis for me.
For me, this is not about tipping but rather, being forced to tip in order to pay for something. That was the only option that the OP was given and to me, that is wrong.

100% agree with you. I have no problem tipping for actual service or in circumstances where an effort was made by the employee to earn an extra share, no matter where it is. But being forced to was surprising to me, and something I even question if legal.

A tip has always been for a service offered above and beyond. Doing your job and making me a sandwich to which I take a leave or like Starbucks and getting a coffee and leaving doesn’t deserve a tip. That is your job that you are getting paid to do.
I’ve always smashed “no tip” at Starbucks before they even say “It’s gonna ask you a question on the screen there” lol

Top Bottom