Wood working

SDG

Caught the Bug
Great thread and some amazing work. I would claim to be an amateur at best. Far from a fine woodworker or finish carpenter, but here are a few of my projects.

Reclaimed cedar fence boards from my grandparents house turned into an outdoor bar. Here is what I started with.
FB_IMG_1521960151954.jpeg

Sanded down and fitted up. Don't see 12" wide by 1/2" thick anymore.
FB_IMG_1521960156871.jpeg
Did the stone on top as well with a black grout, fun little project.
FB_IMG_1521960166434.jpeg

Pine kitchen island. Nothing fancy, the copper top was more work than all the wood.
FB_IMG_1521959968228.jpg

Finished.
FB_IMG_1521959954580.jpeg

Had an itch to make some cutting boards, so did an end cut American black walnut design.
FB_IMG_1521960003041.jpg
FB_IMG_1521960007686.jpg
And the finished oiled product. Messed up on the book end on a couple... but of well!
FB_IMG_1521960012526.jpg

Also remodeled my grandmother's kitchen. Refaced all the cabinets with ash, and refinished the original pine doors, but don't have a pic of the finished product. Huge pain in the butt... but fun none the less.
FB_IMG_1521960102342.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Very nice guys!I bought some damage cabinets from a home center and the particle board carcase on them were damaged. They had solid oak fronts. I ripped those off so later I will make my own; I miss being around specialized wood suppliers. Anyone ever seen Purple heart or ebony hardwood?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Wow, a lot of great looking projects in this thread! I’m jealous of the skills displayed within. Being that my dad and grandfather are both finish carpenters, one would think that I would have some of those skills? Unfortunately that’s not the case. Being a machinist, I can cut metal to the tightest of tolerance and into just about anything. I just can’t seem to turn that off when working with wood.

duktrx

Was a finish carpenter, building custom cabinets and furniture for 15 years. I'm sure I have a hard drive, I can pull photos off. When my remodel gets to the kitchen I will be making all my own cabinets, I do miss having a place to make sawdust, for that matter, sure would be nice to wrench in a garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
This thread got me thinking of some past projects. So I dug out a few photos from one really fun job.
Front door I made on site. IMG_2034.jpg IMG_2035.jpg
The kitchen island I made. Also made the counter tops. We actually made all the cabinets for the house but couldn't find those photos. IMG_2036.jpg and the post and beam car port. IMG_2037.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Very nice guys!I bought some damage cabinets from a home center and the particle board carcase on them were damaged. They had solid oak fronts. I ripped those off so later I will make my own; I miss being around specialized wood suppliers. Anyone ever seen Purple heart or ebony hardwood?

I've got a small stash of Purple Heart. I've done some work with ebony, may still have some small pieces.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Nothing too crazy just a few pieces I found plans for on Anna white

View attachment 297455

View attachment 297456

View attachment 297457

View attachment 297458

View attachment 297459

That's a 60" TV for reference

View attachment 297460

Ran the nail gun off my jeep actually haha

View attachment 297461

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Haha that’s awesome you ran the nail gun off the jeep. Great work. Actually planning on doing a bed like that in about 3 weeks. Anything you’d do different?

TrailHunter

Hooked
That’s awesome looking. Super strong wood there.

Thanks... yeah, it’s a very stubborn material... It’s expensive, hard, heavy, must be sealed on all edges, eats drill bits, ruins saw blades, can’t use nail guns, holes must be plugged, very difficult to bend, moves how it wants in climate changes, must be installed to breathe properly, and constantly needs to be re-sealed.... I’ve installed it on gates, fences, decks & siding with a lot of swearing... but the end product always looks bad ass.

desertrunner

Haha that’s awesome you ran the nail gun off the jeep. Great work. Actually planning on doing a bed like that in about 3 weeks. Anything you’d do different?

About the only thing I would change is the bed rails size, those bed rails are 2x12s my wife wanted the box spring to fit all the way down inside hidden and to make the legs like solid 4x4 it's a 2x4 post with the bed rails slid in to essentially complete the 4x4 post but damn it's heavy. But I have faith it won't fall apart that's for sure haha. If you don't have a crazy tall box spring and mattress like we do a 2×8 or something similar would work out well.

I also bought those key hole brackets on Amazon and they require you to offset to one side and slide it down and left to click in which posed a problem when I went to attach the bed rails to the foot board. I had to loosen the headboard bolts and take all the cross braces out to then move the bed rails independently. It would be easier if they were just vertical drop ins, but now that we figured out the order it all needs to be assembled it works out

20180316_211020.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Thanks... yeah, it’s a very stubborn material... It’s expensive, hard, heavy, must be sealed on all edges, eats drill bits, ruins saw blades, can’t use nail guns, holes must be plugged, very difficult to bend, moves how it wants in climate changes, must be installed to breathe properly, and constantly needs to be re-sealed.... I’ve installed it on gates, fences, decks & siding with a lot of swearing... but the end product always looks bad ass.

It's a fun wood isn't it! I've done a few decks with it.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Some great work here... Cool thread. Here’s a small IPE siding job we did last week:

View attachment 297410

This thread got me thinking of some past projects. So I dug out a few photos from one really fun job.
Front door I made on site. View attachment 297388 View attachment 297389
The kitchen island I made. Also made the counter tops. We actually made all the cabinets for the house but couldn't find those photos. View attachment 297390 and the post and beam car port. View attachment 297391

Bad ass my man!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Here is my latest project. A headboard I somewhat copied from the internet with copper patina sheets I made for my wife.

bed.jpg

scull20

Nothing crazy here...amateur at best and still learning. Lots of trial and error. Definitely a fun hobby.

Cedar Benches I made for my parents
IMG_3973.jpg

Boxes and Cutting Boards I made for my wedding centerpieces
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4376.jpg
IMG_4356.jpg
IMG_4371.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4516.jpg

P.O. Box Door “Bank” for one of my groomsmen
IMG_4358.jpg

Finger Joint Jig for the table saw
IMG_3986.jpg
IMG_3990.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
Here is a couple more I found from some fun projects:

This small stair was built using reclaimed 2x and old crates..

IMG_3036.jpg

This was a remodel transformation that could have been dropped in Hawaii.... Mahogany ceilings with custom built fake beams, detailed railings, siding, custom 6x Eaves, IPE deck, Trellis.....

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

IMG_5051.jpg

Top Bottom