why no love for 285/75-17 ~34" tires?

jeffd

I notice not much out there on this size tire. Seems like it would be a good size for people who wanted something bigger then the stock 255/75-17 but did not want to lift or regear for 35-37" tires. Seems like they would be true 33" s so you could get by with a 2" lift and bump stops vs a full 2.5-3" lift required for 35's. A big issue for me is my wife is short and has a bad ankle so getting in and out of a lifted jeep is a chore for her. I have an unlimited and 32" tires look small to me so was thinking 285/75-17 might be an opition. I don't care about the E rating as I have run 2 sets of E rated tires and I think they ride fine at 28-30 psi and when down around 18psi or so off road.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388015822.819541.jpg

That's what we bought our ride with. There are actually quite a few running that size on here. Any pics of your rig?

I had these for a while now. No complaints. The 285's have done a lot of trails without any problems.

I notice not much out there on this size tire.

Really? I know a lot of folks running them. I have them on my XJ now. :idontknow:

Seems like it would be a good size for people who wanted something bigger then the stock 255/75-17 but did not want to lift or regear for 35-37" tires. Seems like they would be true 33" s so you could get by with a 2" lift and bump stops vs a full 2.5-3" lift required for 35's.

Hang on a sec, you do know that an advertised 35" tire will have an actual measurement of only about 33", right? Also, you do know that when discussing lift heights and tire size, manufactures and vendors always refer to advertised tire size and NOT actual tire size, right? In other words, if a 2.5"-3" lift is needed to clear an advertised 35", a tire that has an actual measurement of 34" will in fact be TALLER and need at least the same amount of lift if not a bit more. Does this make sense?

A big issue for me is my wife is short and has a bad ankle so getting in and out of a lifted jeep is a chore for her. I have an unlimited and 32" tires look small to me so was thinking 285/75-17 might be an opition. I don't care about the E rating as I have run 2 sets of E rated tires and I think they ride fine at 28-30 psi and when down around 18psi or so off road.

As mentioned above, 285's will actually be TALLER than an advertised 35" tire. If getting in and out of a lifted Jeep is a problem for your wife, getting these tires will make the problem worse than if you were to just get a set of 35's.

The ones I am interested in are Toyo Open Country AT2's and they measure an actual mounted height of 33"s. I have two buddies that have 35" one some Nitto grapplers and the other some Procomps and they both are close to 35" measured mounted. I currently have Toyo Open Country AT2's in 285/70-17 and they are a smidge under 32" mounted with ~30psi.
IMG_20131112_144428_579_zpsf44c8169.jpg

Like mentioned above, I don't think anyone has anything but love for any kind of Jeep modded to any tire size. Also I think you don't hear about 34's because there are so few manufactured in that specific inch size here in the US. It's easier to talk in sizes in inches on a forum rather than ever other post saying 305/70/17 vs 285/75/17 and everyone having to get their calculator out 30 times. Its all mostly for reference and you'll see many members on here saying they are running 35's but the actual sidewall of what they have on their rig being a 305/70/17.

Also the fact that the stock tires "look small" is the width of the tire. If you go with a aftermarket tire, the width will be 10"+ and really improve the look of the skate wheels that come on the Jeep. Nothing against the stock street tires that come with a sport or sahara because they are great at keeping highway MPGs up, but I am/was really unhappy with my old stock Rubi KMs. They are a true M/T in tread pattern, but the footprint is so narrow that the traction is not that good IMHO.

The ones I am interested in are Toyo Open Country AT2's and they measure an actual mounted height of 33"s. I have two buddies that have 35" one some Nitto grapplers and the other some Procomps and they both are close to 35" measured mounted.

Guess we all have our own way of measuring tires. Me, I do what is supposed to be done and measure the tire when installed and with the weight of the vehicle on the ground and then from the ground up to the shoulder where the sidewall makes a 90° to become the tread. This is the proper way to get an accurate measurement so that you can calibrate your tires. Having said that, I have yet to run a 35" tire that has come close to measuring 35" brand new. If you're measuring your tires mounted, at full inflation and off the ground and from the highest point of the center of the tread to the same on the opposite side, yeah, I suppose you could get close to that but, I guarantee you that your speedometer would be off.

I currently have Toyo Open Country AT2's in 285/70-17 and they are a smidge under 32" mounted with ~30psi.

First off, you do realize that the 70 in the 285/70R17 = 70% of the tread width to make up the height of your sidewall, right? In other words, it'll be shorter than a 75 and by quite a bit being that you need to add that to both sides of the tire. Second, have you ever taken the time to measure an advertised 32" tire? Do you really think they measure 32"? Don't get me wrong, you can do what you want with your Jeep and it won't be any sweat off my back. You just expressed concerned about your wife and her ability to get into your Jeep and I was just trying to help by putting things into perspective as so you don't make a mistake. You can take what I have to say or leave it :yup:

To give an example of true tire sizes- my 315/70r17's on my jk, measure 34.5" tall (measuring the right way, as Eddie mentioned above)
My 36"x12.5"x15" on my TJ measure 34.25"
So I guess I will quit calling my jk tires 35's and call them 36's :)

My 285/75r18 measure 34", installed with weight on them at 35 psi. 1388021308321.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

To give an example of true tire sizes- my 315/70r17's on my jk, measure 34.5" tall (measuring the right way, as Eddie mentioned above)
My 36"x12.5"x15" on my TJ measure 34.25"
So I guess I will quit calling my jk tires 35's and call them 36's :)

:cheesy: Actually, you could call them a small 37 as I have seen a few 37's that do come up shy of 35" as an actual measurement :crazyeyes:

My 285/75r18 measure 34", installed with weight on them at 35 psi.

Okay, so now go out and measure an advertised 35" tire. I have and on a bunch of different one a couple of years back when I got to take part in a tire test. ALL of them came up short and most came up with an actual measurement of only about 33".

Like I said, I just wanted to put the facts out there in an effort to help. People can take it or leave it.

I have a question then? When I had to replace my tires. I found a tire with the size of 265/70/r17. I am still on what I consider would be stock height. What would they be considered? A 33 or smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a question then? When I had to replace my tires. I found a tire with the size of 265/70/r17. I am still on what I consider would be stock height. What would they be considered? A 33 or smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

265/70R17 is what came on the 10th anniversary Rubicons. It measures at about an advertised 33" tire.

Guess we all have our own way of measuring tires. Me, I do what is supposed to be done and measure the tire when installed and with the weight of the vehicle on the ground and then from the ground up to the shoulder where the sidewall makes a 90° to become the tread. This is the proper way to get an accurate measurement so that you can calibrate your tires. Having said that, I have yet to run a 35" tire that has come close to measuring 35" brand new. If you're measuring your tires mounted, at full inflation and off the ground and from the highest point of the center of the tread to the same on the opposite side, yeah, I suppose you could get close to that but, I guarantee you that your speedometer would be off.

Yes that is how I measured them. on the vehicle parked on cement. My speedo is 100% on set with my procal and verified by two separate Garmins and a phone app.

First off, you do realize that the 70 in the 285/70R17 = 70% of the tread width to make up the height of your sidewall, right? In other words, it'll be shorter than a 75 and by quite a bit being that you need to add that to both sides of the tire. Second, have you ever taken the time to measure an advertised 32" tire? Do you really think they measure 32"? Don't get me wrong, you can do what you want with your Jeep and it won't be any sweat off my back. You just expressed concerned about your wife and her ability to get into your Jeep and I was just trying to help by putting things into perspective as so you don't make a mistake. You can take what I have to say or leave it :yup:

Yes that is how I measured them. on the vehicle parked on cement. My speedo is 100% on set with my procal and verified by two separate Garmins and a phone app.

Yes I do I am currently running the 70's and want to go to the 75 to get a taller tire. I have been dealing in tires since 1972 My current tires are listed as 32.8" but they are about 31.8" actual. The 285/75-17 toyos are almost 33". My buddies Nittos and pro comps measured over 34". Sorry I caused confusion I probably am not good at getting my meaning across in the typed language so forgive me. I currently have a 2" lift (AEV) with 2" bumpstops. I figure if I go with the 285.75-17 toyos I will be fine with that lift and essentially only raise the step in height less then 3/4 of an inch (total actual difference in tire heights/2) if I go 35" I will have to go with at least a 2.5-3" lift and the actual tire size will be 2.5" taller so be raising step in over 2".

Last edited:
My 315/75/16 Duratracs measure 33.75" properly measured (inflated to 29psi, mounted, measured from ground to center of centercap, multiplied by two.) Nailed the procal programming on the first try (3 device GPS verified to 85mph.)

yes I have but the flat fenders I like are spendy :) and not quite ready to go there yet.

Then dont get Flats. Trim factory ones for free. This will solve two problems at once. When you have the money, then get the desired Flat fenders if you still want them

Then dont get Flats. Trim factory ones for free. This will solve two problems at once. When you have the money, then get the desired Flat fenders if you still want them

Just not liking how the factory ones looked trimmed. I know some guys do a good job that is not a look I want.

So I went down this morning and swapped my 285/70-17's for 285/75-17's. I had to pull my spidertrax spacers because the tire shop (manager is a friend) said they get a hefty fine now and all it takes is a disgruntled employee to turn them in so they won't do it any more. Anyway I like the extra inch and half in height. both front and rear pumpkins have about 3/4" more clearance now. Ride the same as my last 2 sets of E rated tires. Apparently these 285/75-17 Open Country AT 2 extremes are getting hard to find. top two the 75 series the bottom two 70 series.
IMG_20131226_130843_930_zps3471ed78.jpg

IMG_20131226_130821_742_zpsdafe1773.jpg

IMG_20131112_144309_766_zpsd682ef25.jpg

IMG_20131112_144428_579_zpsf44c8169.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Good!
I would suggest trimming your rubi rails now and might as well trim the pinch seam while you got the rails off.

Top Bottom