Whiskey of the Day

I ordered one once... thought it tasted like shit.

IMG_7845.JPG .

Yea that’s odd. I could see it being crappy if it was all hipster’d out. Keep it ultra simple as it was meant to be. Bourbon, sugar, bitters. Fruit is for girly drinks as well if they splash club soda in it they can fuck right off.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
View attachment 359502 .

Yea that’s odd. I could see it being crappy if it was all hipster’d out. Keep it ultra simple as it was meant to be. Bourbon, sugar, bitters. Fruit is for girly drinks as well if they splash club soda in it they can fuck right off.

Not gonna lie, I don’t like them either. Just the bourbon and a big cube is all I want.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

duktrx

#fuckclubsoda

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app
I just started making old fashioned's within the last few months, so I'm about as far from an expert as one could be.
Isn't it supposed to have an orange peel muddled with a rough-cut sugar cube and a luxardo cherry? When my grandmother passed, we found my grandfather's bar book; the page for the old fashioned was dog eared. My dad said it was one of his dad's favorite drinks.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
View attachment 359502 .

Maybe... just not into mixed drinks.. One of my favorite things about whiskey is its simplicity... in that you pour it in a glass and drink it... no ice, room temp. Plus I can’t stand bitters.

Maybe... just not into mixed drinks.. One of my favorite things about whiskey is its simplicity... in that you pour it in a glass and drink it... no ice, room temp. Plus I can’t stand bitters.

Same. I typically only drink whiskey neat.

If I do have a cocktail it has to be very bourbon (or rye) forward like an old fashioned or a manhattan.

MericaMade

I guess I have nothing to compare it to, to me it wasn’t sweet at all, it tasted like bourbon but didn’t burn, just took small drinks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What I have found is if the bartender or person making you a OF drinks and likes OF then you will get a good one. If the bartender is a hipster and drinks white claws it comes out like shit. The Mistress and I with our wife's went to Maui last February and met this bartender at Ruth Chris Steakhouse. This dude broke down the science for us on the drink and explained each process as he made them. Hands down the best OF I ever had. Since then, I have gone to a simpler method of making them. Now I just do a splash of orange bitters and simple syrup, drop in a cherry with a little cherry juice, a good pour of whiskey or bourbon with a big ice cube. I stir it in the glass for about 15 second to cool and mix the drink. If orange peels are set out I will run the orange around the rim of the glass or lightly slight toast the peel with a lighter and top off the drink with it. The Mistress likes to make them a little different and prefers to muddle but they come out just as good.

Its kind of an art! On my 40th B-day the Mistress brought over stuff for smoked old fashioned. They taste amazing but take a few minutes to make with a lot of prep involved.

JKbrick

What I have found is if the bartender or person making you a OF drinks and likes OF then you will get a good one. If the bartender is a hipster and drinks white claws it comes out like shit. The Mistress and I with our wife's went to Maui last February and met this bartender at Ruth Chris Steakhouse. This dude broke down the science for us on the drink and explained each process as he made them. Hands down the best OF I ever had. Since then, I have gone to a simpler method of making them. Now I just do a splash of orange bitters and simple syrup, drop in a cherry with a little cherry juice, a good pour of whiskey or bourbon with a big ice cube. I stir it in the glass for about 15 second to cool and mix the drink. If orange peels are set out I will run the orange around the rim of the glass or lightly slight toast the peel with a lighter and top off the drink with it. The Mistress likes to make them a little different and prefers to muddle but they come out just as good.

Its kind of an art! On my 40th B-day the Mistress brought over stuff for smoked old fashioned. They taste amazing but take a few minutes to make with a lot of prep involved.

Nice! I ordered a book and a thing to make ice balls so now I just need a glass the correct shape

MericaMade

Nice! I ordered a book and a thing to make ice balls so now I just need a glass the correct shape

I have posted a lot of bottles on here and my biggest take away would be don't let price be the factor when buying Bourbon. I have found a ton of great Bourbons between $25 and $35 bucks. Yeah the $60, $80, and $125 bottles are good but don't fall into the higher the price the better the Bourbon or Whiskey is. My favorite today is still Buffalo Trace and I can remember right now but they are posted above I bet, the Mistress has found some really good Rye Whiskey lately for under 30 bucks.

Also, check out Neat: The Story of Bourbon on Hulu I think.

Welcome to the club:thumb:

JKbrick

I have posted a lot of bottles on here and my biggest take away would be don't let price be the factor when buying Bourbon. I have found a ton of great Bourbons between $25 and $35 bucks. Yeah the $60, $80, and $125 bottles are good but don't fall into the higher the price the better the Bourbon or Whiskey is. My favorite today is still Buffalo Trace and I can remember right now but they are posted above I bet, the Mistress has found some really good Rye Whiskey lately for under 30 bucks.

Also, check out Neat: The Story of Bourbon on Hulu I think.

Welcome to the club:thumb:

Thanks, so far the bottle I have was free so that’s good! A builder I work for has toured Buffalo Trace so that one was familiar to me, I saw the bottle at his lake house. May try that one next. It will take me a while, I don’t drink to get drunk so one or two is all I drink at a time

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks, so far the bottle I have was free so that’s good! A builder I work for has toured Buffalo Trace so that one was familiar to me, I saw the bottle at his lake house. May try that one next. It will take me a while, I don’t drink to get drunk so one or two is all I drink at a time

It's cool to build a library of different bottles so you can see what the differences are. And they don't go bad. :thumb:

Top Bottom