What is Art?

jeeeep

Hooked
not art, it does nothing to enhance the existing structure and being historic, it is better appreciated in its original state.

what they did was vandalism.

Really pisses me off when people proclaim shit to be art and therefore must be admired and raved about, it's property destruction.

I agree with you Eddie, it's now just a matter of time before other "taggers" find the location and deface it further or worse, destroy it even more because some fucktard decides that it's "art" to knock down a wall or they steal the lumber from the building in the background.

There are several old buildings on my route from Texas to Utah that were pristine until a few years ago, they started out with some "art" and now they are all defaced with graffiti.

Art
E8CE9894-F03B-4FDB-AED6-7FD581819F40.jpeg

art
9275867A-014C-4DC7-B8EB-9456D04661DF.jpeg

art
1BA47010-9E92-41AE-92A1-387CB3A9928B.jpeg

art
7F88C661-6F88-405E-918E-F36E761837DC.jpeg

art
927AFDE3-9845-404B-8737-D756C5175421.jpeg

art
F28B690E-E966-46BE-A26F-6DF7A28A8C67.jpeg

If i saw this near other graffiti or murals in a city then maybe, but the canvas of being what seems to be well preserved history. That’s just vandalism for no point. Not to say that just because somethings old it should remain untouched. Like you could photoshop this onto another place and it would make sense and not be offensive, even though it’s pretty amateur, it fits, middle of the desert only “art piece” no, not how that works.
EC15C661-8BC1-45C6-9BC2-3A201F4492D1.jpeg Side note since on the topic, they covered the graffiti highway, assholes, that was on my bucket list

Trail JK

So she thinks she’s an artist 👩🏻‍🎨 were her fingers green as she was typing? This is really too bad and you make a valid point posing the question regarding vandalism on Michelangelo art. More of the same here of people imposing their beliefs on others. Sadly, nothing new. Emphasized by her giving this vandalism an additional attention on her platform. Bummer

Kuboske

It's vandalism. If they don't own the property, or have permission.
I personally hate graffiti, anywhere, and everywhere.
Walls, bridges, railcars,... all of it.
I do enjoy well done murals, and hand painted signs, on historic buildings, like the old days. Done with the building owners, permission.
I like seeing restored, barns with, "Chew Mail Pouch", or "See Rock City".
Graffiti is lawlessness, and a blight.

wjtstudios

Hooked
It is really sad, especially out in that remote setting. Half of Detroit is covered, most of which is in abandoned factories and warehouses. But it just adds to the blight. So much of, it in my opinion, is the young generation trying to get noticed in this online culture where what we used to considered success and achievement is less available and requires a hell of a lot more work than defacing public areas and posting it up. And work is hard 😪 and that is not art, period

Very cool to hear you went through architecture school. It should be a right of passage for any art or architecture student to spend a summer in Europe. In 97’ a friend of mine and I backpacked across Europe, staying in hostels, and truly experiencing “Art”. Although in today’s world, there is no way in hell I’d let my kids go over there for a summer and travel around on trains, sleep in random hotels, and everything else we did. Not in this lovely world.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Art
View attachment 361715

art
View attachment 361716

art
View attachment 361717

art
View attachment 361718

art
View attachment 361719

art
View attachment 361720

If i saw this near other graffiti or murals in a city then maybe, but the canvas of being what seems to be well preserved history. That’s just vandalism for no point. Not to say that just because somethings old it should remain untouched. Like you could photoshop this onto another place and it would make sense and not be offensive, even though it’s pretty amateur, it fits, middle of the desert only “art piece” no, not how that works.
View attachment 361721 Side note since on the topic, they covered the graffiti highway, assholes, that was on my bucket list
How is any of the stuff you posted different? It’s defacing property.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
So, there's a gal that we've been following on IG for quite some time now and mainly because of all the amazing destinations that she visits in Nevada. I wanna say that she even writes for Travel Nevada or something like that. Anyway, most of the places she posts up about are hot springs as that's her thing but on occasion, she visits ghost towns and cool destinations like that. Today, I saw she posted up a pic from one such destination that up until a year or so ago, was still pristine and devoid of the kind of stupidness that you see all across California. In her post, she called the new graffiti "art" and suggested that I was wrong to feel sad about it being that it somehow will help prevent random taggers from destroying the place. And, this got me thinking, what in the actual fuck is "art"? Here's the post in question...

View attachment 361711

And, this is what it looked like almost 2 years ago...

View attachment 361712

I should note that I went to a very liberal architecture school and have studied art extensively during my college years. I have even traveled all across Europe in my endeavors and honestly, would anyone really call it "art" to spray paint shit like this on Michelangelo’s Statue of David? I mean really, I need someone to please educate me on why shit like this green fuck face saying that "love is everywhere" is art??

I don't know, maybe it's just me getting old but to me, this fucker is a THEAF! What he did is not steal from me but from anyone and everyone that may have wanted to see this amazing destination for what it was. And really, if there's one thing that I've seen living in the inner city, it's that what you allow only encourages more of the same. Maybe there's just a green fuck face today but tomorrow, it'll be random tagging or worse. I can guarantee it and yes, it pisses me off.

Sorry for the rant.

I think the saying goes 'art is in the eye of the beholder'. So I'm sure some people can look at this and see it as 'art'. While it's not the typical tagging I see, AKA 'TbAgZ waz hare!' (spelling cause most of those dumb asses can't). I still consider this graffiti and in a place it shouldn't be... Inner city, sure cause I won't have to see it. Out on a bad ass trail in the middle of no where is a blight on the landscape.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I don't normally do this - EVER but I was so frustrated with what I was seeing that I had to chime in a couple more times. Of course, not like it helped anything and clearly, I'm still the one who needs to be re-educated on what art is.

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
So, I don't normally do this - EVER but I was so frustrated with what I was seeing that I had to chime in a couple more times. Of course, not like it helped anything and clearly, I'm still the one who needs to be re-educated on what art is.
I'm more upset that this person doesn't fucking get it than I am about the graffiti itself. People are so fucking unhooked these days.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm more upset that this person doesn't fucking get it than I am about the graffiti itself. People are so fucking unhooked these days.
Couldn’t agree more. She’s an enabler and it’s people like her that encourages “artist” to do shit like this.

Brute

Hooked
So, there's a gal that we've been following on IG for quite some time now and mainly because of all the amazing destinations that she visits in Nevada. I wanna say that she even writes for Travel Nevada or something like that. Anyway, most of the places she posts up about are hot springs as that's her thing but on occasion, she visits ghost towns and cool destinations like that. Today, I saw she posted up a pic from one such destination that up until a year or so ago, was still pristine and devoid of the kind of stupidness that you see all across California. In her post, she called the new graffiti "art" and suggested that I was wrong to feel sad about it being that it somehow will help prevent random taggers from destroying the place. And, this got me thinking, what in the actual fuck is "art"? Here's the post in question...

View attachment 361711

And, this is what it looked like almost 2 years ago...

View attachment 361712

I should note that I went to a very liberal architecture school and have studied art extensively during my college years. I have even traveled all across Europe in my endeavors and honestly, would anyone really call it "art" to spray paint shit like this on Michelangelo’s Statue of David? I mean really, I need someone to please educate me on why shit like this green fuck face saying that "love is everywhere" is art??

I don't know, maybe it's just me getting old but to me, this fucker is a THEAF! What he did is not steal from me but from anyone and everyone that may have wanted to see this amazing destination for what it was. And really, if there's one thing that I've seen living in the inner city, it's that what you allow only encourages more of the same. Maybe there's just a green fuck face today but tomorrow, it'll be random tagging or worse. I can guarantee it and yes, it pisses me off.

Sorry for the rant.
I have been in the Accademia in Florence and have gazed upon Michelangelo's David with my own eyes...

While art may be determined to be "in the eye of the beholder", spray painting a historical building is not art...nor will it prevent further abuse by others with spray paint cans...

WJCO

Meme King
Couldn’t agree more. She’s an enabler and it’s people like her that encourages “artist” to do shit like this.
I guess she would be totally ok with a fancy word 'pigs' on the side of a police department. Or how about a giant penis painted on a park sign near a kids playground. It's all public property of course.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been in the Accademia in Florence and have gazed upon Michelangelo's David with my own eyes...

While art may be determined to be "in the eye of the beholder", spray painting a historical building is not art...nor will it prevent further abuse by others with spray paint cans...
Maybe its a generational thing. I just don't understand how people can defend and justify shit like this and with a straight face.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess she would be totally ok with a fancy word 'pigs' on the side of a police department. Or how about a giant penis painted on a park sign near a kids playground. It's all public property of course.
I bet she would. It is after all, "public" property. :rolleyes:

TrailHunter

Hooked
So by definition... sure its art... “environmental” Art. And by my definition that person is a Vandal and an asshole... and I’m glad you called that lady out on promoting it... Her responses don’t surprise me one bit. I spent 4 years in college with douches like that... My old man is an Architect and I spent many years as a draftsman... So through the years I have developed a huge interest in old and new buildings... I also went to college for graphic design and spent a lot of time in art and around self righteous dickhead “artists” ... Whats fucked up about this...is Architecture is an Art too... Construction is an Art... and Old Buildings are especially an Art. So these fucktards are basically putting their art over someone else’s work. If you don’t have permission from the original builder... fuck off with that shit and let us enjoy the original work as it was intended. The only Artist that doesn’t need permission to change these structures, is Mother Nature.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think what frustrates me the most is that I've been visiting places like this since before this gal was born. And, I can tell you that in places like this have remained for the most part, unchanged for all those years or at least, up until now. I have been seeing more and more of this new graffiti shit along remote stretches of Nevada highways in just the past year alone. To see it popping up in ghost towns like this just breaks my heart.

Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time thinking that the local ranchers and miners are suddenly doing all this shit. Seems more to me that city fucks are coming out to these places, doing their "art" thing and then posting their shit on social media for all to see. It's just so fucked up.

JK_0311

View attachment 361727

View attachment 361728

View attachment 361729

She didn’t have much of a rebuttal when you touched something that she holds special, the hot springs.

I am all for cool paintings, but this is destroying history and a public building. If a business wants some ugly ass painting on the side of THEIR building, that’s their choice. This is no different than when I go to use a public / private restroom and there’s painting / scratch marks all over the damn place.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time thinking that the local ranchers and miners are suddenly doing all this shit. Seems more to me that city fucks are coming out to these places, doing their "art" thing and then posting their shit on social media for all to see. It's just so fucked up.

Exactly... You nailed.

Top Bottom