What is Art?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, there's a gal that we've been following on IG for quite some time now and mainly because of all the amazing destinations that she visits in Nevada. I wanna say that she even writes for Travel Nevada or something like that. Anyway, most of the places she posts up about are hot springs as that's her thing but on occasion, she visits ghost towns and cool destinations like that. Today, I saw she posted up a pic from one such destination that up until a year or so ago, was still pristine and devoid of the kind of stupidness that you see all across California. In her post, she called the new graffiti "art" and suggested that I was wrong to feel sad about it being that it somehow will help prevent random taggers from destroying the place. And, this got me thinking, what in the actual fuck is "art"? Here's the post in question...

IMG_4766.jpg

And, this is what it looked like almost 2 years ago...

20190720194311-8d40423e-me.jpg

I should note that I went to a very liberal architecture school and have studied art extensively during my college years. I have even traveled all across Europe in my endeavors and honestly, would anyone really call it "art" to spray paint shit like this on Michelangelo’s Statue of David? I mean really, I need someone to please educate me on why shit like this green fuck face saying that "love is everywhere" is art??

I don't know, maybe it's just me getting old but to me, this fucker is a THEAF! What he did is not steal from me but from anyone and everyone that may have wanted to see this amazing destination for what it was. And really, if there's one thing that I've seen living in the inner city, it's that what you allow only encourages more of the same. Maybe there's just a green fuck face today but tomorrow, it'll be random tagging or worse. I can guarantee it and yes, it pisses me off.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Pisses me off when assholes have to piss on a wall. Whether it's art or not is in the eye of the beholder, but the fact is, it's vandalism if they don't have permission. It's just as bad as knocking the structure down in my eyes... Maybe even worse.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So, there's a gal that we've been following on IG for quite some time now and mainly because of all the amazing destinations that she visits in Nevada. I wanna say that she even writes for Travel Nevada or something like that. Anyway, most of the places she posts up about are hot springs as that's her thing but on occasion, she visits ghost towns and cool destinations like that. Today, I saw she posted up a pic from one such destination that up until a year or so ago, was still pristine and devoid of the kind of stupidness that you see all across California. In her post, she called the new graffiti "art" and suggested that I was wrong to feel sad about it being that it somehow will help prevent random taggers from destroying the place. And, this got me thinking, what in the actual fuck is "art"? Here's the post in question...

View attachment 361711

And, this is what it looked like almost 2 years ago...

View attachment 361712

I should note that I went to a very liberal architecture school and have studied art extensively during my college years. I have even traveled all across Europe in my endeavors and honestly, would anyone really call it "art" to spray paint shit Michelangelo Statue of David? I mean really, I need someone to please educate me on what shit like this green fuck face saying that "love is everywhere" is art??

I don't know, maybe it's just me getting old but to me, this fucker is a THEAF! What he did is not steal from me but from anyone and everyone that may have wanted to see this amazing destination for what it was. And really, if there's one thing that I've seen living in the inner city, it's that what you allow only encourages more of the same. Maybe there's just a green fuck face today but tomorrow, it'll be random tagging or worse. I can guarantee it and yes, it pisses me off.

Sorry for the rant.
Bummer. I remember that place. That was the July 4th trip two years ago. It was pristine! I hate this “art” shit. It’s graffiti to me, not art.
And as for her comment on it keeping other people from doing it, that’s not what it looks like on the bridges that I pass by. Graffiti over graffiti over graffiti.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pisses me off when assholes have to piss on a wall. Whether it's art or not is in the eye of the beholder, but the fact is, it's vandalism if they don't have permission. It's just as bad as knocking the structure down in my eyes... Maybe even worse.
Couldn't agree with you more. This place is on "PUBLIC" land and this fucker just defaced public property.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer. I remember that place. That was the July 4th trip two years ago. It was pristine! I hate this “art” shit. It’s graffiti to me, not art.
And as for her comment on it keeping other people from doing it, that’s not what it looks like on the bridges that I pass by. Graffiti over graffiti over graffiti.
Yes, that's the place and yes, if you allow graffiti to exist, it'll just encourage other fuckers to do the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If someone painted the asshats home like he painted this, I bet he would not be calling it art, but vandalism, like it is.

What a waste.
Right?? It's "art" if it's on a historical building but somehow, not ok if it's done on your own home. I just can't believe that people would defend this shit.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you picked up a brick and took it home, you’d be breaking the law and subject to a fine. But you can paint the same brick and leave it there because, well, art.

People shit on a plate and call it art. To me, it’s just shit on a plate.

jdofmemi

Right?? It's "art" if it's on a historical building but somehow, not ok if it's done on your own home. I just can't believe that people would defend this shit.
If they showed up and painted the same thing on the chicks place that posted it, she wouldn't think it was art then.

What's the difference?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you picked up a brick and took it home, you’d be breaking the law and subject to a fine. But you can paint the same brick and leave it there because, well, art.

People shit on a plate and call it art. To me, it’s just shit on a plate.
LOL - exactly! I just don’t understand any of this shit.

benatc1

Hooked
Just because something may be art doesn't mean you can use any canvas you choose, like several have said that's vandalism. A lot of the allure to these historic places is that they are in fact historical and in many cases what is left from the original building, ect.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just because something may be art doesn't mean you can use any canvas you choose, like several have said that's vandalism. A lot of the allure to these historic places is that they are in fact historical and in many cases what is left from the original building, ect.
Couldn’t have said it better my friend! Shit like this just frustrates me to no end. It IS the reason why I’m so reluctant to tell people where we go anymore.

funny how this gal is so protective of her hot springs and how she NEVER tells anyone where they are. I wonder why? 🙄

Bear_JT

Hooked
“Art” like that only stops taggers if they give a rats ass about the so called art like a mural. It’s some sort of stupid code they have. Taggers only care about putting up their “tag” as many places as they can to gain points if you will. I hate to see their shit all over the place, especially on public land. I go out to the wide open places to get away and part of it is to not see shit like that. That is not art. That shit is just like littering it doesn’t belong.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
“Art” like that only stops taggers if they give a rats ass about the so called art like a mural. It’s some sort of stupid code they have. Taggers only care about putting up their “tag” as many places as they can to gain points if you will. I hate to see their shit all over the place, especially on public land. I go out to the wide open places to get away and part of it is to not see shit like that. That is not art. That shit is just like littering it doesn’t belong.
What’s their is already tagging so it didn’t stop them.

Bear_JT

Hooked
What’s their is already tagging so it didn’t stop them.
I get it. It only happens when one of them does a “mural” then they figure it’s their buddy and they leave it alone because it’s their crap art. I don’t understand it but I’ve had to deal with a lot of them in my line of work. Another thing is they like to tag over other peoples tags kinda like dogs peeing on the same fire hydrant after another one. It’s marking their territory. They probably take in too many paint fumes.

Top Bottom