V8 Swap

jdofmemi

Considering I'm looking at around $13k for an L86/10 speed swap, that better be one hell of a transmission.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Your plan has been a thought in the back of my mind for some time. It's moving closer to the front of my mind now that I have engine issues. I have found a deal similar to what you ha e sitting on a pallet, debating whether to go for it or wait.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Your plan has been a thought in the back of my mind for some time. It's moving closer to the front of my mind now that I have engine issues. I have found a deal similar to what you ha e sitting on a pallet, debating whether to go for it or wait.

If you need a 3.6 in the mean time I have one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

I’d seriously consider a 5.3 LT / 10L90. I think that would be a great combo for the two door. Price is reasonable as well.

Bierpower

Hooked
One tip if your looking for an engine to swap. Get on eBay and add all of the engine/trans combos that you want to your watch list. Usually after a short time you'll get an email for a discount for 48hrs or something. This last engine I bought was listed just over $9k and after a week on my watch list they sent me an offer for 35% off.

MericaMade

Got some unofficial feedback that the 8hp75 will be about 10K to 12k installed as a standalone mated to the 3.6.

CAD designed, CNC machined mounting brackets, seamless integration, etc.

That’s a lot of $$$$$ but will be a massive upgrade over the NAG1
So plug and play and garage install is not a option yet?

jdofmemi

One tip if your looking for an engine to swap. Get on eBay and add all of the engine/trans combos that you want to your watch list. Usually after a short time you'll get an email for a discount for 48hrs or something. This last engine I bought was listed just over $9k and after a week on my watch list they sent me an offer for 35% off.

Thanks for the tip. 👍👍

I have a few saved, will see how it goes

Exodus 4x4

The 8HP75 is not the stock transmission, the 850RE is. If you’re keeping the 3.6 then you don’t need the 8HP75. Whoever told you otherwise is trying to sell you a lot of something you don’t need. You don’t need a V8 either, it’s a “want” that most people spend entirely too much time trying to rationalize spending the money on.

Buy a reman NAG1 transmission if you’re having transmission issues. Take all the money you would’ve spent and put it towards you’re retirement.

Ddays

Hooked
The 8HP75 is not the stock transmission, the 850RE is. If you’re keeping the 3.6 then you don’t need the 8HP75. Whoever told you otherwise is trying to sell you a lot of something you don’t need. You don’t need a V8 either, it’s a “want” that most people spend entirely too much time trying to rationalize spending the money on.

Buy a reman NAG1 transmission if you’re having transmission issues. Take all the money you would’ve spent and put it towards you’re retirement.

The 8HP75 has a higher torque rating and is used in the diesels, right?

Gotta admit, a JK with the 8sp would be a great combo, but if it's really $10-12k, you and Ovie are right - that's just plain retarded and you're halfway to a V8 swap. If the kit and 850RE tranny cost maybe a couple thousand more that just swapping in another NAG1 it could be worth it.

Exodus 4x4

The 8HP75 has a higher torque rating and is used in the diesels, right?

Gotta admit, a JK with the 8sp would be a great combo, but if it's really $10-12k, you and Ovie are right - that's just plain retarded and you're halfway to a V8 swap. If the kit and 850RE tranny cost maybe a couple thousand more that just swapping in another NAG1 it could be worth it.

Yes the 8HP75 has a higher torque rating but if all you have is a V6, then all you need is the 850RE is all you need. It’ll never be more than a couple thousand more to put a 8 speed in vs the NAG1. Hell the JK Hemi swaps (and some LS) use the NAG1 and it’s actually pretty awesome.

fiend

Caught the Bug
You don’t need a V8 either, it’s a “want” that most people spend entirely too much time trying to rationalize spending the money on.

I hope you’re not head of marketing and sales for Exodus 4x4. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

MericaMade

So how close are we to seeing a 850RE swap into a JK?.....3 weeks? I assume its not just a trans swap so would there be any major modifications?

I love the power delivery of the JL and if I could get a few more gears in the JK I would do this as soon as possible if the price is far fetched.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Can’t help but be honest about it. It’s awesome but hardly worth financing.

I get it. Would love to upgrade the old 3.8, but the $25k expense will be $50k in ten years, properly invested. I think I’d prefer to have that.

Last edited:

A.J.

I get it. Would love to upgrade the old 3.8, but the $25k expense will be $50k in ten years, properly invested. I think I’d prefer to have that.

That’s a very responsible outlook. However if you factor in the time value of money and the potential limitations of your physical ability to enjoy it 10 years from now added into the YOLO factor it’s money well spent. I mean what are you saving it for anyway? Someone else to spend it and have fun after you die?! [emoji16]

fiend

Caught the Bug
That’s a very responsible outlook. However if you factor in the time value of money and the potential limitations of your physical ability to enjoy it 10 years from now added into the YOLO factor it’s money well spent. I mean what are you saving it for anyway? Someone else to spend it and have fun after you die?! [emoji16]

You make a compelling case. [emoji848]

Honestly the 3.8 is fine for my needs. But when it finally goes, the V8 may be the way to go. 🤟🏻

Top Bottom